KG CFA3 headphone amp
Feb 24, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #76 of 1,794
thanks! cant wait to test it out. Only issue is if this is as amazing as everyone says... I am going to want to get ears on with the TC and Sus... rip wallet...
I am the TC shill. Please get ears on them. 1597450347302.png

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #78 of 1,794
Ok, now that I got the TC on order, I feel like this is the logical next step? How does one commission a build of this? Or how does one get started with building it?
You ain't playin'.

@Dukei help this soul.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #80 of 1,794
Is this amp considered a better all round performer that the GSX MK2 - or is it solely meant to provide more power for hard to drive headphones?
I found my new GSX MK2 to be an all around improvement over my GSX Mini. If the CFA3 provides even more performance (resolution, detail etc.) than I will definitely be interested. If it is solely meant to provide better capability for harder to drive headphones than it would be of less interest to me.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #81 of 1,794
Is this amp considered a better all round performer that the GSX MK2 - or is it solely meant to provide more power for hard to drive headphones?
I found my new GSX MK2 to be an all around improvement over my GSX Mini. If the CFA3 provides even more performance (resolution, detail etc.) than I will definitely be interested. If it is solely meant to provide better capability for harder to drive headphones than it would be of less interest to me.
You might want to specifically cite what better all round performer means to you. GS-X always provided flexible drive i.e. IEM's.

I'd consider the CFA3 a more nuanced, refined powerhouse compared to the Mk2.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #83 of 1,794
so.. listened for a little bit. its pretty amazing. i dont really have much to add to the reviews already posted. but yah mic drop im done searching for perfect SS. i have it.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #86 of 1,794
@Dukei you are just jealous of all his desk space. :joy:

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #88 of 1,794
haha you are probably right. I haven't got that kind of space so I stack those puppies.
156868871_432618594464978_3863426949068597985_n (1).jpg
Haha. Time to minify these puppy monsters, then.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #89 of 1,794
So just a quick follow up. listened for a bit last night and figured I should share some more of my non professional broken ear thoughts.

First I had basically given up on SS amps due to 2 main reasons. Treble harshness, and lack of body/thickness to the sound vs what I was hearing using tube amps with good tubes. This always made me think, hey, you love a nice thick warm amp and tubes were my answer to what I wanted. Well then I was bored, and and wanted an SS amp for random use, and I saw the CFA3 come up. Ended up buying a Dynalo MK2 Mini, and thought oh this sounds very nice. Warm, a bit thick, but still had a bit of that treble harshness but I appreciated the sound. so I went and commissioned the CFA3. This came after I chatted with @paradoxper and @RudeWolf. Those 2 just basically planted a seed in my head that I couldnt get out and spent all my money.

The process was fantastic and after the end result I can 100% recommend to anyone that is interested.

First, the idea of a more neutral amp vs the dynalo scared me a bit, but went with it anyways. The treble, to me this is the biggest thing about this amp. It extends and is airy and sounds lovely. But there is no harshness, like my friends and I joke about headphones and amps that "stab" you on those bright bright songs. We use dua lipa as a stab measuring stick. Yes the amp will show you all that brightness, but the harshness isnt there. I dont even know how to explain it, who the hell knew treble on headphones can be loud and extended but without feeling like someone is stabbing you through the ears? For me treble is perfect, i cant really explain it. its airy controlled, extended, detailed, and not harsh. this is actually probably the most amazing part of this amp to me.

Next is the mids. I listen to the mids and im like oh thats pretty good not bad. Why is this surprising? I am coming from a 300b tube amp, which to me is arguably the "mid" king. 300b tubes have that lush romantic mid that all the fans crave and have pushed NOS tube prices into the stratosphere. for me not to feel like I was really wanting more and lacking anything is actually an amazing achievement.

Bass, i was kind of expecting, but there is a heft to the low end that is fantastic. It has great control all the way to the bottom if your headphones can handle it, and loads you with as much details as your headphones can provide. The textured bass out of the cfa3 is great, and probably the best ive heard.

I do need to do some more A B testing with my tube amp and maybe toss in the dynalo mini as well just for a reference point. But atm, the songs have weight and thickness to them, and the signature/SQ is perfect for me. Also has a bit of liquidity that I am sensing that makes it feel a little bit like a tube amp. Overall its just a really incredible amp. But hey who knows, maybe its the honeymoon phase and I will hate it by next week haha.

Oh and I also have speaker taps on my CFA3, and they are driving my Passive Aggressive Speakers (i call them wife speakers) for my computer fantastically. its a 82db sensitivity speaker with recommended 40w rms+ amp to drive them. CFA3 when cranked will make these tiny little things vibrate my desk and sound extremely full. I listen to them on my desk at around 9-10oclock on the cfa3 on low gain.

Oh and just to add, the headphones ive tried is a 4 screw HE6 and zmf verite closed.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #90 of 1,794
So just a quick follow up. listened for a bit last night and figured I should share some more of my non professional broken ear thoughts.

First I had basically given up on SS amps due to 2 main reasons. Treble harshness, and lack of body/thickness to the sound vs what I was hearing using tube amps with good tubes. This always made me think, hey, you love a nice thick warm amp and tubes were my answer to what I wanted. Well then I was bored, and and wanted an SS amp for random use, and I saw the CFA3 come up. Ended up buying a Dynalo MK2 Mini, and thought oh this sounds very nice. Warm, a bit thick, but still had a bit of that treble harshness but I appreciated the sound. so I went and commissioned the CFA3. This came after I chatted with @paradoxper and @RudeWolf. Those 2 just basically planted a seed in my head that I couldnt get out and spent all my money.

The process was fantastic and after the end result I can 100% recommend to anyone that is interested.

First, the idea of a more neutral amp vs the dynalo scared me a bit, but went with it anyways. The treble, to me this is the biggest thing about this amp. It extends and is airy and sounds lovely. But there is no harshness, like my friends and I joke about headphones and amps that "stab" you on those bright bright songs. We use dua lipa as a stab measuring stick. Yes the amp will show you all that brightness, but the harshness isnt there. I dont even know how to explain it, who the hell knew treble on headphones can be loud and extended but without feeling like someone is stabbing you through the ears? For me treble is perfect, i cant really explain it. its airy controlled, extended, detailed, and not harsh. this is actually probably the most amazing part of this amp to me.

Next is the mids. I listen to the mids and im like oh thats pretty good not bad. Why is this surprising? I am coming from a 300b tube amp, which to me is arguably the "mid" king. 300b tubes have that lush romantic mid that all the fans crave and have pushed NOS tube prices into the stratosphere. for me not to feel like I was really wanting more and lacking anything is actually an amazing achievement.

Bass, i was kind of expecting, but there is a heft to the low end that is fantastic. It has great control all the way to the bottom if your headphones can handle it, and loads you with as much details as your headphones can provide. The textured bass out of the cfa3 is great, and probably the best ive heard.

I do need to do some more A B testing with my tube amp and maybe toss in the dynalo mini as well just for a reference point. But atm, the songs have weight and thickness to them, and the signature/SQ is perfect for me. Also has a bit of liquidity that I am sensing that makes it feel a little bit like a tube amp. Overall its just a really incredible amp. But hey who knows, maybe its the honeymoon phase and I will hate it by next week haha.

Oh and I also have speaker taps on my CFA3, and they are driving my Passive Aggressive Speakers (i call them wife speakers) for my computer fantastically. its a 82db sensitivity speaker with recommended 40w rms+ amp to drive them. CFA3 when cranked will make these tiny little things vibrate my desk and sound extremely full. I listen to them on my desk at around 9-10oclock on the cfa3 on low gain.

Oh and just to add, the headphones ive tried is a 4 screw HE6 and zmf verite closed.
Great impressions. I been tellin' 'em. This amp is that good.

Cough cough Abyss please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back