KG CFA3 headphone amp
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #91 of 1,794
so I went and commissioned the CFA3. This came after I chatted with @paradoxper and @RudeWolf. Those 2 just basically planted a seed in my head that I couldnt get out and spent all my money.
Nice to see that the seed has flourished into something that you enjoy! I'm still super happy with mine. Recently finished a Susy Dynalo MK2 for a member here and while that amp is terrific, the CFA3 has an effortless sound I haven't heard with other solid state stuff. The biggest difference I guess was in the highs.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #92 of 1,794
Nice to see that the seed has flourished into something that you enjoy! I'm still super happy with mine. Recently finished a Susy Dynalo MK2 for a member here and while that amp is terrific, the CFA3 has an effortless sound I haven't heard with other solid state stuff. The biggest difference I guess was in the highs.
Need that CFA3-hybrid. I would love if Kevin introduced something like the Dynamic Megatron or some other Dynamic T2. With Eddie Current closing doors, the semi interesting options are passing on. I have a Primavera on order and am feeling itchy to pursue tubes.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #93 of 1,794
Need that CFA3-hybrid. I would love if Kevin introduced something like the Dynamic Megatron or some other Dynamic T2. With Eddie Current closing doors, the semi interesting options are passing on. I have a Primavera on order and am feeling itchy to pursue tubes.

Oof very nice. Unfortunately primavera is out of my price range but it's certainly incredible. On a side note, please tell me you got black

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #94 of 1,794
Oof very nice. Unfortunately primavera is out of my price range but it's certainly incredible. On a side note, please tell me you got black
We'll see if it ultimately stays. I was a bit enamored with the Pass but the CFA3 outshone. If I don't work out something more custom this might be my last amp.
I reluctantly chose black as I didn't like how cheap/plastic the other colors look.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #95 of 1,794
We'll see if it ultimately stays. I was a bit enamored with the Pass but the CFA3 outshone. If I don't work out something more custom this might be my last amp.
I reluctantly chose black as I didn't like how cheap/plastic the other colors look.

CFA3 outshines the Pass? Crazy. Well, all things permitting, I should able to commission one soon...maybe a DAC upgrade should come first ahha. Black is the best color for the primavera unfortunately. I've seen the white and it does look very plasticy. I wish they would improve the finishing on their casing in general.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #96 of 1,794
CFA3 outshines the Pass? Crazy. Well, all things permitting, I should able to commission one soon...maybe a DAC upgrade should come first ahha. Black is the best color for the primavera unfortunately. I've seen the white and it does look very plasticy. I wish they would improve the finishing on their casing in general.
For my tastes, yes. The reason I chose the Primavera was for that non-tube sound that display spatial information as priority with a general linear focus.
I have my opinions for what makes good sound per transformer choice, winding, power supply design, etc. I'm certainly not interested in WOO warmpoo, engineered mediocrity.

What DAC were you wanting to pair with CFA3?

You also need TC. Couldn't resist. :grin:

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #97 of 1,794
For my tastes, yes. The reason I chose the Primavera was for that non-tube sound that display spatial information as priority with a general linear focus.
I have my opinions for what makes good sound per transformer choice, winding, power supply design, etc. I'm certainly not interested in WOO warmpoo, engineered mediocrity.

What DAC were you wanting to pair with CFA3?

You also need TC. Couldn't resist. :grin:

I do agree with you on the quality of a tube amps ability to present spacial information. I was considering going with good clean tube preamp in front of a cfa3 or susy to achieve that (was thinking the primaluna evo 4000). As for dacs, I was considering the holo may or wavelight. If I hit the lottery I'll grab myself a msb haha.

I actually enjoy warmpoo amps every now and then but certainly not enough to warrant paying some of those enormous prices. I'll have to see about the TC. I couldn't get past the comfort but who knows, if I demo it again maybe it will win me over.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #98 of 1,794
Need that CFA3-hybrid.
If you don't require balanced, then there's this -
1615358226496.png

Don't think anyone has built them. And I'm not too crazy about the PSU requirements. Two GRLV's and the +100V. At that point might as well go full monty with 4xCFA2 and two tube frontends.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #99 of 1,794
a few of those were built. there is a newer version of the board somewhere. Same problem as the T8000, lots of power supplies needed.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #100 of 1,794
a few of those were built. there is a newer version of the board somewhere. Same problem as the T8000, lots of power supplies needed.
Have you or anyone built the balanced version of the tube hybrid? Wondering what the barriers to entry would be and if there would be a more ideal circuit to serve such as the possibility instead of a full tube design?

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #101 of 1,794
I do agree with you on the quality of a tube amps ability to present spacial information. I was considering going with good clean tube preamp in front of a cfa3 or susy to achieve that (was thinking the primaluna evo 4000). As for dacs, I was considering the holo may or wavelight. If I hit the lottery I'll grab myself a msb haha.

I actually enjoy warmpoo amps every now and then but certainly not enough to warrant paying some of those enormous prices. I'll have to see about the TC. I couldn't get past the comfort but who knows, if I demo it again maybe it will win me over.
I still think sticking a tube pre in front of the CFA3 would be very interesting. I just wonder if you'd be capturing enough of its characteristics.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #102 of 1,794
there is a balanced tube input thing with dual current mirrors driving the buffers in a zero feedback configuration. Not sure if it was ever published or not.
Will have to look later. Working on the electrostatic portable now.
1200vpp on batteries. More information elsewhere.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #103 of 1,794
there is a balanced tube input thing with dual current mirrors driving the buffers in a zero feedback configuration. Not sure if it was ever published or not.
Will have to look later. Working on the electrostatic portable now.
1200vpp on batteries. More information elsewhere.
Pretty sure a balanced tube input was published. Together with the GRHV100.

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #105 of 1,794
Hi.

Would you possibly know of how small a CFA3, and of how small a Dynahi, possibly could be made?
My only reference is of the mini SuSy Dynalo. I don't believe either Dynahi or CFA have been minified.

Better to ask @kevin gilmore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back