KG CFA3 headphone amp
Sep 24, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #241 of 1,794
Without further ado... Here is a first look at my CFA3! @normie610 was correct - mine is very similar to his, but with some notable differences. Namely, the addition of "pimp" lights and an external power supply! Full list is below.

Primary Chassis:
Front
  • Dual balanced 3 pin
  • Single balanced 4 pin
  • Single unbalanced 1/4 inch | 6.35mm
  • Speaker/Headphone selector switch
  • Volume knob
  • Triple LEDs (orange/amber)
Rear
  • Dual 3 pin balanced XLR
  • Dual single ended unbalanced RCA
  • Quad speaker taps
  • Single-ended/balanced selector switch
  • High gain/low gain selector switch
  • DC power in Receptacle
Power Supply:
Front
  • Power switch (orange/amber)
Rear
  • Single DC power receptacle
  • Single AC power receptacle
Notes:
  • Goals
    • Achieve the best sound quality humanly possible
    • Obtain the maximum number of options and utility for single-ended, balanced, and speaker connections
  • Internals
    • TBD. I sprung for upgrades everywhere I possible could including knobs, caps, etc. but I don't have an exact list. Consequently, this will have to wait until I post my follow up.
  • Lighting
    • The pimp lights actually serve a purpose other than aesthetics. The lights are my primary visual indicator that the amp is operational. The primary chassis will be installed on the top of my rack, while the PSU will be installed at the bottom with the DC umbilical running between them (I did the exact same thing with my streaming server and always try to keep power sources as far away from sound processing components as humanly possible). The end result is, I won't have to peek my head around my desk to look at the bottom of my rack to see if the CFA3 is running. First-world convenience problems amirite?!? Plus, the pimp lights look pimp...so there's that.
  • Sound
    • Initial feedback on the two chassis design is stellar. The builder couldn't hear any noise, even on high gain, while testing with HD800s. A stupidly low noise floor is extremely impressive given the ridiculous amount of power this thing puts out.
  • Recommendations
    • If you are interested in getting a CFA3, send a PM to Dukei. DO IT RIGHT NOW!!! Not only is he an extremely skilled CFA3 amp builder, but he's also a fantastic aesthetic designer. The little touches and attention to detail are everywhere - lettering fonts, sizes, and positions...quality connectors, capacitors, and other components...volume knob resistance and quality....etc....etc... This guy is legit phenomenal and an absolute dream to work with. I honestly can't recommend him enough. Dukei = Quali-tie (sorry...had to make it rhyme)
    • If you have the extra space, go with a two chassis design with the external PSU. Either that, or talk with your builder about adding some additional shielding for the toroidal transformer (if possible). The resulting bump in SQ seems to be more than worth it. In my humble opinion, the two chassis solution should be the de facto standard for those looking to get the ultimate sound quality out of the CFA3 design.
  • Comparisons
    • I am going to pit this CFA3 build directly against my ToTL Woo Audio WA33 Elite Edition w/JPS wiring and fully upgraded Tak, KR, and Gold Pin tubes. Should be fun!!!
  • Questions
    • I'll be running this amp paired with my Abyss AB-1266 Phi TCs, but I can't help but wonder how the two chassis design would sound with slightly more sensitive headphones like the Susvaras.

IMG_9897.JPGIMG_9897.JPGIMG_9901.JPGIMG_9899.JPGIMG_9906.JPG
Nice touch with the lighting! Yeah I wish I had more room for a separate PSU, but alas my space is just a bit too tight. Well mine is already super clean sounding, can’t imagine what yours would be like 😁 in any case congrats and enjoy!

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #243 of 1,794
how much do these cost roughly to build?
<3k USD. Variability is based on upgraded components and options chosen.

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #244 of 1,794
Sep 25, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #245 of 1,794
how much do these cost roughly to build?
Roughly less than a Volot, HPA4, a second hand Formula S and just about most TOTL amps for planars. Yet you get more out of your money - fully balanced output, current driven amp with single ended and balanced inputs, dual mono power supply and tons of custom options at your disposal - TKD, DACT, Khozmo attenuators, Italian all aluminum casing, quality parts and several proven builders at your disposal. Oh and let's not forget the circuit design was by Kevin Gilmore. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #246 of 1,794
Roughly less than a Volot, HPA4, a second hand Formula S and just about most TOTL amps for planars. Yet you get more out of your money - fully balanced output, current driven amp with single ended and balanced inputs, dual mono power supply and tons of custom options at your disposal - TKD, DACT, Khozmo attenuators, Italian all aluminum casing, quality parts and several proven builders at your disposal. Oh and let's not forget the circuit design was by Kevin Gilmore. :wink:
🤔🤔🤔 mine was more than the volot. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #247 of 1,794
Without further ado... Here is a first look at my CFA3! @normie610 was correct - mine is very similar to his, but with some notable differences. Namely, the addition of "pimp" lights and an external power supply! Full list is below.

Primary Chassis:
Front
  • Dual balanced 3 pin
  • Single balanced 4 pin
  • Single unbalanced 1/4 inch | 6.35mm
  • Speaker/Headphone selector switch
  • Volume knob
  • Triple LEDs (orange/amber)
Rear
  • Dual 3 pin balanced XLR
  • Dual single ended unbalanced RCA
  • Quad speaker taps
  • Single-ended/balanced selector switch
  • High gain/low gain selector switch
  • DC power in Receptacle
Power Supply:
Front
  • Power switch (orange/amber)
Rear
  • Single DC power receptacle
  • Single AC power receptacle
Notes:
  • Goals
    • Achieve the best sound quality humanly possible
    • Obtain the maximum number of options and utility for single-ended, balanced, and speaker connections
  • Internals
    • TBD. I sprung for upgrades everywhere I possible could including knobs, caps, etc. but I don't have an exact list. Consequently, this will have to wait until I post my follow up.
  • Lighting
    • The pimp lights actually serve a purpose other than aesthetics. The lights are my primary visual indicator that the amp is operational. The primary chassis will be installed on the top of my rack, while the PSU will be installed at the bottom with the DC umbilical running between them (I did the exact same thing with my streaming server and always try to keep power sources as far away from sound processing components as humanly possible). The end result is, I won't have to peek my head around my desk to look at the bottom of my rack to see if the CFA3 is running. First-world convenience problems amirite?!? Plus, the pimp lights look pimp...so there's that.
  • Sound
    • Initial feedback on the two chassis design is stellar. The builder couldn't hear any noise, even on high gain, while testing with HD800s. A stupidly low noise floor is extremely impressive given the ridiculous amount of power this thing puts out.
  • Recommendations
    • If you are interested in getting a CFA3, send a PM to Dukei. DO IT RIGHT NOW!!! Not only is he an extremely skilled CFA3 amp builder, but he's also a fantastic aesthetic designer. The little touches and attention to detail are everywhere - lettering fonts, sizes, and positions...quality connectors, capacitors, and other components...volume knob resistance and quality....etc....etc... This guy is legit phenomenal and an absolute dream to work with. I honestly can't recommend him enough. Dukei = Quali-tie (sorry...had to make it rhyme)
    • If you have the extra space, go with a two chassis design with the external PSU. Either that, or talk with your builder about adding some additional shielding for the toroidal transformer (if possible). The resulting bump in SQ seems to be more than worth it. In my humble opinion, the two chassis solution should be the de facto standard for those looking to get the ultimate sound quality out of the CFA3 design.
  • Comparisons
    • I am going to pit this CFA3 build directly against my ToTL Woo Audio WA33 Elite Edition w/JPS wiring and fully upgraded Tak, KR, and Gold Pin tubes. Should be fun!!!
  • Questions
    • I'll be running this amp paired with my Abyss AB-1266 Phi TCs, but I can't help but wonder how the two chassis design would sound with slightly more sensitive headphones like the Susvaras.

IMG_9897.JPGIMG_9897.JPGIMG_9901.JPGIMG_9899.JPGIMG_9906.JPG
The pimped lights are oh so ridiculous. LOL

You should have done an led style volume indicator ring.

Very nice despite the outlandish nature which is all fun.

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #249 of 1,794
I’m going full pimped out on mine. I’m having Woo laser etched on the front panel. :)
Understand it most certainly is not Woo on the inside. LMAO

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #251 of 1,794
Sep 25, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #255 of 1,794
Check out some of the threads on Head Case about that. Spritzer has some choice words as well.
It's well established. Sadly, new inquiring minds, full of fun spirit, are, well, clueless. Woo, Cavalli, Ray Samuels tip the iceberg of mediocrity.

Shrugs. Nothing you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back