Keyboard-Fi
Sep 5, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #2,011 of 2,077
+1 for Reddit
you have so many subreddits there you can find and some will be recommended for you based on your initial interest in the topic that you will most probably get all your answers there
I personnally like /ErgoMechKeyboards subreddit if you are into ergonomical boards
Thanks, I no longer read reddit, I'm sure there are good guys on there but the fascists have taken over and dissent is not tolerated. Kinda reminds me of the audioscientologists' behavior. I was a member of geekhack 20 years ago, but at this point I just want to get 2 good keyboards that will last. I have too many hobbies and not enough money or time to get back into keyboards like I was. :D

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #2,012 of 2,077
Thanks, I no longer read reddit, I'm sure there are good guys on there but the fascists have taken over and dissent is not tolerated. Kinda reminds me of the audioscientologists' behavior. I was a member of geekhack 20 years ago, but at this point I just want to get 2 good keyboards that will last. I have too many hobbies and not enough money or time to get back into keyboards like I was. :D
yeah, we have definitely some shared feelings towards some subreddits :wink:

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #2,013 of 2,077
More keycap fun for me, a set of PBT Gradient keycaps for onr of my Ducky keyboards....
txJDTJy.jpg

Also got a set of G. Skill Crystal Crown (White) keycaps, I'm using them on my Ducky Shine 2 78 Edition, so loving the look and feel. These are definitely of higher quality than those pudding I'd gotten earlier. Oh yeah, since it is a set of only 104 keycaps, I'd had to get a set of blank transparent R4 keycaps to make up for the shortfall (the 4 yellow ones on the top right).
HdM2S8t.jpg

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #2,014 of 2,077
Got myself a set of 'Ice Crystal' keycaps for maximum bling for my Keychron K2, below is what it looks like 'unbling'
kUtjUVX.jpg

Here is what it looks like all RGB'ed up (or, at max bling bling mode)!
tgUjGk4.jpg

Or, with this RGB mode....
NmJqbOa.jpg

Honestly speaking, I prefer the first pic RGB mode....that is, the middle pic.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #2,015 of 2,077
Got myself a set of 'Ice Crystal' keycaps for maximum bling for my Keychron K2, below is what it looks like 'unbling'
kUtjUVX.jpg

Here is what it looks like all RGB'ed up (or, at max bling bling mode)!
tgUjGk4.jpg

Or, with this RGB mode....
NmJqbOa.jpg

Honestly speaking, I prefer the first pic RGB mode....that is, the middle pic.
Nice one - gotta love a set of ghosties :D How are they for feel - I've only ever been able to find faily hard ABS caps of this type...

Dec 18, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #2,017 of 2,077
I'm starting to peer down the rabbit hole of enthusiast-grade mechanical keyboards now that the linear switches on my Razer Huntsman are starting to get on my nerves. I've overall been fairly satisfied with the typing experience, but I'm finally looking to get something a little more premium. I have very narrow requirements, which is making things hard, but it's being further complicated by the fact that a lot of keyboards seem to be a limited run thing. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I want a TKL board; nothing smaller, and preferably nothing larger.
I can take or leave wireless; I'd probably just use it wired anyway.
I don't especially care about RGB.
It's gotta be pre-built.
I'm looking for that sweet thock sound.

I came across the Keychron K8, which mostly meets my criteria, but I'm not a huge fan of the lip that goes around the outside of the keyboard; seems like it will be a magnet for dust and nastiness. Anything out there that's mostly similar to it, even if it costs a bit more money?

EDIT: Ah screw it, I ordered a GMMK kit to build.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #2,019 of 2,077
I'm starting to peer down the rabbit hole of enthusiast-grade mechanical keyboards now that the linear switches on my Razer Huntsman are starting to get on my nerves. I've overall been fairly satisfied with the typing experience, but I'm finally looking to get something a little more premium. I have very narrow requirements, which is making things hard, but it's being further complicated by the fact that a lot of keyboards seem to be a limited run thing. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

It's gotta be pre-built.

I came across the Keychron K8, which mostly meets my criteria, but I'm not a huge fan of the lip that goes around the outside of the keyboard; seems like it will be a magnet for dust and nastiness. Anything out there that's mostly similar to it, even if it costs a bit more money?

Anything that doesn't require Synapse is a win in my book :beerchug:

What switches are you planning to go with?

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #2,021 of 2,077
Anything that doesn't require Synapse is a win in my book :beerchug:

What switches are you planning to go with?

Went with the lubed Panda Tactile switches. Looked up a youtube video of them and was very pleased with their sound; hoping they actually sound like that in person.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #2,022 of 2,077
Went with the lubed Panda Tactile switches. Looked up a youtube video of them and was very pleased with their sound; hoping they actually sound like that in person.
Sound depends on a lot more than switches. The way you lube them, the board you chose, the type of mount, the lubing and tuning of the stabs, the plate, the plate foam, the case foam, sound mods like tape on the PCB, ...
But what you asked for in your first post: pre-built + good sound, that doesn't really work well together. Pre-built or not, you're gonna have to take the board apart and do some work on it if you want to achieve a decent sound.
And caps make a difference as well, SA sounds very different from GMK but both can sound really good, ABS sounds better than PBT imo.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #2,023 of 2,077
Sound depends on a lot more than switches. The way you lube them, the board you chose, the type of mount, the lubing and tuning of the stabs, the plate, the plate foam, the case foam, sound mods like tape on the PCB, ...
But what you asked for in your first post: pre-built + good sound, that doesn't really work well together. Pre-built or not, you're gonna have to take the board apart and do some work on it if you want to achieve a decent sound.
And caps make a difference as well, SA sounds very different from GMK but both can sound really good, ABS sounds better than PBT imo.

Thankfully the video I saw was basically the same build as what I got, aside from the size of the keyboard, so sound should be pretty similar to what I heard.

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #2,025 of 2,077

It's gotta be pre-built.

If I was looking for a pre-built TKL, wired and/or wireless, I would have a look at https://monokei.co/standard. They did a preorder a while back, with delivery expected around end of December. There's probably going to be an extra in stock sale soon after that (you could check with them). They are reputable keyboard vendor in Singapore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back