Keyboard-Fi
Aug 9, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #1,996 of 2,079
Any trackpoint users out there? Tex shinobi is the best keyboard in all worlds IMO. Nothing quite like it.

Funny I was just coming to ask if anyone has ever seen one of these?

ARCHISS Quattro TKL AS-KBQ91/TGBAWP​

as I was looking at Amazon Japan and saw this thing and decide it must be mine.. so yeah I ordered it.. won't be here for like a week ~ week 1/2 however. But hopefully it is as "glorious" as it looks... because I was super into it when I saw it. Otherwise since about 2014~ I have been using this Filco MJ2 TKL (mx-reds, o-rings, vortex double shot PBT keycaps) I love the Filco.. some of the vortex pbt keycaps are starting to shine however.. looking for new set.. unless of course I get so in love with the ARCHISS that the filco sits in it's box for a nearly a decade or whatever.. my other keyboards have been in there boxes since I got the Filco.

Attachments

• 71LzQUUgu4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71LzQUUgu4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • filcoTKL_4.jpg
    filcoTKL_4.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #1,999 of 2,079
Where are there trackpoint buttons? A trackpoint without buttons isn’t of much use.

Looks cool otherwise. Not really al of of options out there, so seeing anything new is always refreshing

It has L/R button keys (either side of spacebar).. that is part of the reason why it seems to have the world's smallest spacebar ??? I will have to report back when it actually arrives. I had been using this Filco along time and while I love the filco and it still works beautifully, the trackpoint board was really calling my name..

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #2,002 of 2,079
Not bad at all. Pricing on the Tex shinobi just raised to over $200. Tex is also launching a 65% board soon, hopefully that one will land under $150.

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #2,003 of 2,079
Well my new keyboard has arrived from japan.. It is very nice and well built ... if I`m honest it took me a minute to figure out how to get the JIS format working correctly in windows 11...but a bit of googling later seem to be all set, however the layout is taking a little getting use to... If I wasn`t dumb I probably would have ordered the ISO layout..but meh... the JIS looks super cool and I don`t think it will be that big a deal to get use to.... Also if I need to I can swap it out for my filco instead.. This keyboard was made in Taiwan (as is the Filco). Build quality seems very similar to the filco (both excellent) it seems, however the stock keycaps on the ARCHISS are clearly better than the "terrible ABS" keycaps that come on most Filco`s ............. I get why Filco could get away with it in 2014 when I bought my MJ 2 TKL, but it seems weird they are still selling keyboards with pad print abs caps for $120~ in 2022...

The trackpoint on the ARCHISS is interesting however hitting the "B" key is a bit of an adjustment it seems ..however using it a little I seem to be getting use to it.

Attachments

• archiss_0a.jpg
    archiss_0a.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 0
  • archiss_0b.jpg
    archiss_0b.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 0
  • archiss_1.jpg
    archiss_1.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 0
  • archiss_2.jpg
    archiss_2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #2,004 of 2,079
Although I'm not adept at using trackpoints at all and my experiences with them didn't really work out you guys got me interested in such a board.
I ordered a TEX-Shinobi from Candykeys.
Together with my Atlas and Sagittarius that will be my third ortho/ergo kindof board.
Not that I find those types of boards more ergonomic than a 60->75% but they're fun to try out and I like the variety.

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,005 of 2,079
Guys is there one reliable place to read up on the new and clone mechanical switches? I know about IBM and Cherry. I know there are a lot of other options recently but I don't know which are any good or what they should be used for.

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #2,006 of 2,079
Guys is there one reliable place to read up on the new and clone mechanical switches? I know about IBM and Cherry. I know there are a lot of other options recently but I don't know which are any good or what they should be used for.

Deskthority is usually where I look first. The mechanicalkeyboards subreddit may have more info on some of the more recent clones. Would recommend looking into the ZealPC switches, they're the only "clone" I like.

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #2,007 of 2,079
There is no one single place to find all the info you want.
Geekhack is a very good forum and so is the subreddit r/MechanicalKeyboards.
There are two no bs reviewers for switches:
https://www.theremingoat.com/ and https://www.keebsnstuff.com/switches/

I don't think you can call these "newer" switches (some are here for well over a decade) simply clones. They are MX compatible switches which means they can be used in the same boards and use the same caps. A lot of them are far better than the scratchy stuff Cherry makes.

I only use linear switches (so no tactiles and clickies) and my preferred switches are Tealio, Pearlio, Hades, Tangerine, Seal and Alpaca and I tried lots of them.
But there are hundreds of others.

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #2,008 of 2,079
The stock ABS keycaps on my Keychron K2 were already beginning to shine, after just a few days of usage (especially the WASD keycaps), so I'd gone online and ordered a set of PBT Miami keycaps to replace the stock ones. At first, I'd thought I should have gone with just a single color, like red/black/grey/etc, but after installing the Miami set on the keyboard, it does look good to me.
Jcj6DXQ.jpg

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #2,009 of 2,079
Code. Cherry MX clear.

20220902_165900.jpg

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #2,010 of 2,079
+1 for Reddit
you have so many subreddits there you can find and some will be recommended for you based on your initial interest in the topic that you will most probably get all your answers there
I personnally like /ErgoMechKeyboards subreddit if you are into ergonomical boards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back