Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #7,126 of 10,062
Well, I sold my Rognir Dynamic and my GH40. They were both really excellent headphones, but kind of redundant. Now I've got a secondhand Rognir Planar on the way, so... Kennerton, whenever I think I'm out you PULL ME BACK IN.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #7,128 of 10,062
As an owner of a pair of Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition phones I have a question for which I don't remember seeing here. I have an opportunity to hear them being driven by a Wells Audio HeadTrip II this weekend and wondering whether it is worth the time. As you are aware, the GH50s produce 116 dB peaks with 1 mW driven into their 33 ohm load. In other words, to drive them to normal 86 dB peaks they only need 1 microwatt, and conversely, at 1 watt they will theoretically produce 146 dB! Of course no one could listen to them at gunshot-level sound pressures even if the drivers were to survive such current levels. The WA HT II produces 25 watts at 33 ohms, so theoretically they could drive the GH50s to 159dB, of course ridiculous. But it has been my experience on speakers that massively overdesigned power supplies in amps often result in that effortless sound quality, the bass authority, speed, spaciousness, detail, and dynamics.

So the question is: has anyone even tried driving their GH50s with big SS muscle amps, which in this case would amount to only a few watts into 33 ohms? If so, what was the result? One other issue might be the 30 dB of voltage gain of the WA amp which might only allow a small amount of volume control range. But sonically, what would be the potential result? Should I aim for big watts when only a few are necessary?

I await your valuable input. Thank you.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #7,129 of 10,062
As an owner of a pair of Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition phones I have a question for which I don't remember seeing here. I have an opportunity to hear them being driven by a Wells Audio HeadTrip II this weekend and wondering whether it is worth the time. As you are aware, the GH50s produce 116 dB peaks with 1 mW driven into their 33 ohm load. In other words, to drive them to normal 86 dB peaks they only need 1 microwatt, and conversely, at 1 watt they will theoretically produce 146 dB! Of course no one could listen to them at gunshot-level sound pressures even if the drivers were to survive such current levels. The WA HT II produces 25 watts at 33 ohms, so theoretically they could drive the GH50s to 159dB, of course ridiculous. But it has been my experience on speakers that massively overdesigned power supplies in amps often result in that effortless sound quality, the bass authority, speed, spaciousness, detail, and dynamics.

So the question is: has anyone even tried driving their GH50s with big SS muscle amps, which in this case would amount to only a few watts into 33 ohms? If so, what was the result? One other issue might be the 30 dB of voltage gain of the WA amp which might only allow a small amount of volume control range. But sonically, what would be the potential result? Should I aim for big watts when only a few are necessary?

I await your valuable input. Thank you.
Not necessarily a muscle amp (I’d put a Flux FA-10 in that potential category), but the lack of volume range with the GH50 with a Lyr 3 for example @ 6W potential @ 32 ohms was limiting / frustrating enough. I’ve gotten excellent bass and overall impact, stage, etc. and a bit more volume flexibility from a Chord Anni (~2.5W into 32 ohms) and a Fiux FA-22 (similar to the Chord). Heck I got great performance from an obscure Tor Audio OFT amp @ 450 mW and a LTA MZ3 at ~1W or less. I will say I like the Class A amps’ sound presence with the GH50s (such as the Tor, Flux, and LTA) regardless of the nominal power output @ 32 ohms.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #7,130 of 10,062
Brute current power such as 125Wx2 I thought would grip the GH50 better but it really didn't need it - I have the B&K Reference 125.2 Class A Stereo amp and use the GL1200 Impedance converter/Converter box and still think the Ray Samuels Apache sounds better - not sure the GH50 needs anything but a high current pure revealing amp to sound it's best. I would think the Benchmark and the Pass would be a great match. I have heard very good things about Wells Audio HeadTrip II tho- what a beast of an amp... I say you need to bring it to my house to hear it with 5 different GH50's I have here (hint hint) - I do agree GH50 likes real clean class A from my experience

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #7,131 of 10,062
Brute current power such as 125Wx2 I thought would grip the GH50 better but it really didn't need it - I have the B&K Reference 125.2 Class A Stereo amp and use the GL1200 Impedance converter/Converter box and still think the Ray Samuels Apache sounds better - not sure the GH50 needs anything but a high current pure revealing amp to sound it's best. I would think the Benchmark and the Pass would be a great match. I have heard very good things about Wells Audio HeadTrip II tho- what a beast of an amp... I say you need to bring it to my house to hear it with 5 different GH50's I have here (hint hint) - I do agree GH50 likes real class A best no matter what...
As for Class A, I will add that the GH50 JM Edition (original) / HeadAmp Gilmore Lite II + Golden Reference PSU is an amazing duet. GLII+ is not a brute, ‘only’ a master!

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #7,133 of 10,062
As for Class A, I will add that the GH50 JM Edition (original) / HeadAmp Gilmore Lite II + Golden Reference PSU is an amazing duet. GLII+ is not a brute, ‘only’ a master!

Also on Class-A here, but with Rognir Dynamic. I don't know how it can get much better than this to be honest.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #7,138 of 10,062
10991310_10153110378099603_4023917513796452646_n.jpg

A contextual image on perhaps why (because some people are obsessed with music) and how much we love (the ends we will go to to continually find bliss) Kennerton headphones so much (for me - especially the GH50JM Mk2 Edition)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #7,140 of 10,062
I wonder if Kennerton can figure out a way to put those horns and ion tweeter into their earcups. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back