Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #3,376 of 10,113
For the tube lovers!

I need some feedback on why I should go tube for my Thridi. My only experience is with my HD6XX and a Bottlehead Crack.

I really like the Crack/ HD6XX combo!

The crack and high impedance hd6xx work like a pair made in heaven
But the crack will not drive the highly efficient Kennerton hp

A different kind of tube amp other than OTL is needed one that can drive ez loads

Cheers

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #3,378 of 10,113
Hey John,

Yes, the Crack/Senn combo is really nice.

I realise the Crack doesn't work with low impedance headphones, Im curious of how the Thridi will sound with the right tube amp.

Looks like Eric has the right tube amp! Unfortunately not in my budget...something more affordable please?

Cheers

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #3,379 of 10,113
Hey John,

I realise the Crack doesn't work with low impedance headphones, Im curious of how the Thridi will sound with the right tube amp.

Looks like Eric has the right tube amp! Unfortunately not in my budget...something more affordable please?

Cheers

Hi.

Maybe this one?

And an excellent (very complete) review to read on this tube amp: https://www.headphoneer.com/trafomatic-head-2-review/

20082001433223553816974745.jpg

Head-2-front-side-8055-s.jpg

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #3,380 of 10,113
Hey John,

Cheers
I actually may have a solution and suggested this to Valentin a week ago- making a cable barrel that has a resistor of 300ohms or 150ohms so we can use the OTL of choice with any easy to drive Kennerton -I think he is making it happen I think!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3,381 of 10,113
I actually may have a solution and suggested this to Valentin a week ago- making a cable barrel that has a resistor of 300ohms or 150ohms so we can use the OTL of choice with any easy to drive Kennerton -I think he is making it happen I think!
Aah yes! I think I remember this discussion.

Being planars I wonder if there will be enough current from the Crack?

I understand that the otl crack uses voltage more than current.

Others say that tubes dont work well with planars so much. Andrew from The Headphone Show says this.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #3,382 of 10,113
Others say that tubes dont work well with planars so much. Andrew from The Headphone Show says this.

I don't agree with this approach; Oh, yes, that this works very well a (good) tube amplifier with planar headphones, especially those that are moderately difficult to amplify like your Kennerton Odin mk3 (Thridi) and my Thekk.

A good tube amp delivering at least 1 Watt on the 40 or 50 Ohms load is perfect for driving these Kennerton planar headphones, not to mention that you can vary the sound of the amp by playing on the tubes, as shown in the tubes amp review, in link in my post-precedent.

Afterwards, it's tubes sound, more or less typed with its advantages (harmonic richness) and disadvantages, sound sometimes more colorful, less "pure" than a very transparent transistorized amp like the Formula S from XI Audio, which I owned, but which I find a bit insipid and cold, especially with the Thror.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #3,384 of 10,113
I have Thridi and Trafomatic Head 2 with Siemens 70's tubes and it is a very nice combination. Very musical, detailed and smooth. AC/DC or Black Sabbath sound fantastic on them :)
But you can probably also look at Auris or Feliks audio tube headphone amplifiers.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #3,385 of 10,113
I have Thridi and Trafomatic Head 2 with Siemens 70's tubes and it is a very nice combination. Very musical, detailed and smooth. AC/DC or Black Sabbath sound fantastic on them :)
But you can probably also look at Auris or Feliks audio tube headphone amplifiers.
Thank you. I was wondering whether they would respond to a class A headphone amp like the Rebel amp, or go with tubes.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #3,386 of 10,113
Thank you. I was wondering whether they would respond to a class A headphone amp like the Rebel amp, or go with tubes.
I use class a solid state amps with my Kennerton Thridi and it pair extremely well.

Class A typically is very smooth and more analogue sounding. So a touch warm without the harsh treble of some solidstate amps.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #3,387 of 10,113
I just heard my Thridi on Accuphase C-11 preamp, but the headphone amp there is very analytical (Which is quite strange for Accuphase :), but sounds great with B&W 803 floorstanders ) and through Mytek Liberty, but the amp there is not as detailed as needed for Thridi. So can't tell you actually how they sound on solid state amp :)
But if you go with tube amp, go for a good one otherwise you won't use them in full potential. Then rather go for good solid state like Violectric 280 or Auralic Taurus.

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #3,389 of 10,113
Anyone using Kennerton planar headphones with Chord Hugo TT 2? Do they have good synergy directly connected to Hugo TT2 amplifier? I'm thinking about exchanging my Chord Qutest to Hugo TT2. Thank you.

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #3,390 of 10,113
HELP! WHICH COLOR FIREY RED or COOL WATER BLUE?

thumbwnail.jpg
thuwmbnail.jpg
thumbnwail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Attachments

• P00922-175443.jpg
    P00922-175443.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back