Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 13, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #3,347 of 10,023
Hi.

After examine the FR curves on the RAA measurement site: maybe a little more bass and high-medium treble (around 3000 Hz) with the Wodan ECL-01 versus Odin 2019 ECL-01.

20091302240923553817020755.jpg

Once again, do not take into account the frequency peak at 5.5 KHz, it is a measurement artifact specific to the artificial head used for these measurements; this peak is found on almost all other headphones (including Focal).

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pr...&idhp1=2162&idhp2=713&inset=&m82=82#gsc.tab=0

Note: the FR curves are different, if this time we compare the Odin 2019 ECL-02 (equipped with ECL-02 pads with small perforations, reinforcing the bass and sub-bass and slightly raising the upper-midrange, by compared to the stock ECL-01 pads with larger perforations) compared to the same Wodan ECL-01 (still equipped with the stock ECL-01 pads).

20091305395423553817021215.jpg

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pr...idhp1=2162&idhp2=2489&inset=&m82=82#gsc.tab=0

Otherwise, the Kennerton Odin 2019 is significantly heavier to wear than the Wodan: 620-650 g (depending on the wood) for the Odin 2019 versus 480 g for the Wodan, which is significantly lighter.
Note: Only the Thekk is even lighter (as a planar headphones, too), with its 390 g (thanks to its carbon frame).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #3,348 of 10,023
Does anyone have a comparison between Odin 2019 and Wodan?

Moreover, still about the Kennerton Odin 2019 and the Wodan, you can see this video of William Murdock from the time 21'40 ", where he compares the Kennerton Wodan with the Kennerton Odin 2019 and also with the LSA HP-1.

Roughly speaking, compared to the 2019 Odin (which is heavier in weight than the Wodan), the Wodan gives a less warm sound than the 2019 Odin, also more detailed, faster and more analytical than that of the 2019 Odin; therefore for the latter, the Odin 2019 appears to give a warmer, slower and less detailed sound than the Wodan (different sound adjustment, because they share a priori the same planar drivers, the one with the metal frame, and the same honeycomb membrane).

Otherwise, Valentin K., in his interview, provides some comments on these two headphones.

Quote Valentin K. (interview):

" Wodan — this model is an entirely experimental project with an all-wood earcup. We tested our new wood processing technology, tinkered with the earcup depth a little, and tried new cushioning materials. It turned out pretty interesting as a result: Wodan deliver a relatively smooth sound with a gently raised bass and lower section of the mid-frequency range, but with a focus on highlighting the maximum of details from any recording.

Odin (2019) is a model for those who liked the sound of original Odin, released back in 2015. In terms of sound, we tried to make this update as close to the original as possible, but with an updated driver and with a new headband. Generally speaking, Odin 2019 is for metalheads, especially when combined with earpads with small diameter perforations."

Source (of this interview): https://boizoff.com/?p=738&lang=en

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #3,349 of 10,023
Hey, anyone here a metalhead who also owns the Kennerton Magni? Really interested in their sutability for that, as I've heard good things about their open-back Vali, but would prefer closed-back. Also the Vali is getting a bit outside of my price range. I mostly listen to power metal, but I vary genres and subgenres pretty wildly after that (progressy, heavy, death, some rock etc.)

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #3,350 of 10,023
Hey, anyone here a metalhead who also owns the Kennerton Magni? Really interested in their sutability for that, as I've heard good things about their open-back Vali, but would prefer closed-back. Also the Vali is getting a bit outside of my price range. I mostly listen to power metal, but I vary genres and subgenres pretty wildly after that (progressy, heavy, death, some rock etc.)
Magni is my go-to closed back. Music ranges from Ayreon to In flames, Dimmu Borgir to Nightwish and via Dream Theater and Tool to Gazpacho :)
Magni is an excellent match for fast and technical types. It's a winner.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #3,351 of 10,023
I ordered an after market cable for my Magni which came in today:
IMG_20200916_141908.jpg
To match the wood I went for a two-tone brown colour scheme. Inside the sleeving is acrolink 6n OCC silver plated copper and I can honestly say that I hear no difference at all between this and the stock cable. I don't buy/make after market cables for the sound differences (different sub-section of the forum, trust me :wink:) but for handling and looks and this cable does good in both those departments. It's super handleable and imo looks terrific.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,352 of 10,023
yes Magni rock - but as many know here- I prefer my GH50 modded the bass is insanely good but Magni is also very good for bass and fast music like metal and industrial music

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #3,353 of 10,023
yes Magni rock - but as many know here- I prefer my GH50 modded the bass is insanely good but Magni is also very good for bass and fast music like metal and industrial music
I've read your review a moment ago, pretty splendid work, thank you. That solidified my choice for the Magni quite a bit.

The horn-loading on the Gjallarhorn tickled my fancy as well, especially the dusk version, but I'm not too keen on voiding my warranty by modding it, after my last headphone experience, and it's still a bit outside of my pricerange. (By the way, does anyone know what the special price is for the Gjallarhorn Dusk or if that is even available still? See the text that Kennerton put on their website "Be one of the first ten buyers and get a special price!".)

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #3,355 of 10,023
I've read your review a moment ago, pretty splendid work, thank you. That solidified my choice for the Magni quite a bit.

The horn-loading on the Gjallarhorn tickled my fancy as well, especially the dusk version, but I'm not too keen on voiding my warranty by modding it, after my last headphone experience, and it's still a bit outside of my pricerange. (By the way, does anyone know what the special price is for the Gjallarhorn Dusk or if that is even available still? See the text that Kennerton put on their website "Be one of the first ten buyers and get a special price!".)
You may be able to spend less on LSA version and mod that
Also Kennerton could mod it for you
But I hear you on price is more than Magni

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #3,356 of 10,023
You may be able to spend less on LSA version and mod that
Also Kennerton could mod it for you
But I hear you on price is more than Magni
So if I contact them they would also mod a Gjallarhorn to the cannon Edition and I'd receive a new pair with full warranty?

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #3,357 of 10,023
I just received the dusk last week. Had to pay full price for it. Great headphones, though
Looks gorgeous
So if I contact them they would also mod a Gjallarhorn to the cannon Edition and I'd receive a new pair with full warranty?
I think Kennerton would do that-the fabric dots can be done to both- and they control the sound reflection and make the horn of the design very tight and non reflective- which lends to the excitement I find so alluring about their sound. As far as bass- the LSA and Gh50 are slightly different when it comes to bass ports on rear- which on the Gh50 I removed both acoustic carpet on left and right see arrows- and I plug them with same carpet (cut smaller so I can plug one or both or none by removing) depending on my music tastes- but according to

[IMG alt="EternityInParis"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/536/536629.jpg?1599767866[/IMG]

EternityInParis
he wrote:
I have the LSA HP-2 with the felt mod. It is the best sound I have ever heard out of anything. It actually does not sound like a headphone, it sounds exactly as if you're in the same room of the band at the studio. I will be taking these everywhere I go as a portable headphone considering they can be run off a smartphone's headphone port (and they get loud!) and still beat any TOTL headphone that needs a portable DAC in sound quality.

There is no way they're staying home due to their excellent sound isolation, lightweight/comfort and end game sound quality. I don't care if the cable is as thick as a garden hose, I'll roll it up and tape it to my body (or put it in a fanny pack and carry that around) if I have to.

The bass according to

EternityInParis
is more than enough for him on the modded LSA he did himself.
11263539.png
index.jpg

His mod with dots he did himself- ask him what he thinks
IMG_20200909_104258.jpg

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #3,358 of 10,023
I am definitely considering getting the LSA HP2. I was just wondering does anyone know if the headband is microphonic. I was wondering if this would be a problem when walking and/or lying down. Is it only a problem when adjusting/touching the headband? Would this also be the case for the Magni and the Gjallarhorn?

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #3,360 of 10,023
The house of @arielext will enjoy a 2nd Kennerton soon: the Vali!
Excited about this one tbh since the magni is really impressing me as my go to closed back. I'm not comfortable paying beyond the 1k mark, been there done that and sold all of them cause in the end .. actually to be fair: I'm not here for the most neutral or most detailed headphones. I'm here for music and pleasure. I'm here for indulgence.
From what I've read Vali hits that straight on. Hoping to get some of the TH900 vibe back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back