Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 23, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #3,406 of 10,126
Hi. The bass is fast, agile and tuneful. It extends a long way but is not overblown. Not for bass heads. Midrange is v good but my unit is still burning in, so may improve further. Soundstage is amazing for a closed back. No mods yet carried out. HTH
I can just say the gh50 without fabric dots mod was no where To my liking as the Magni -everything changed when I did the small dots and the bass carpet- now there hasn’t been another headphone I enjoy more that includes last night I listened to stax sr lambda and omega - the modded gh50 is my fav headphone bar none- https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-kennerton-gjallarhorn-modified-review.24478/

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #3,407 of 10,126
Sep 23, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #3,410 of 10,126
Hi. The bass is fast, agile and tuneful. It extends a long way but is not overblown. Not for bass heads. Midrange is v good but my unit is still burning in, so may improve further. Soundstage is amazing for a closed back. No mods yet carried out. HTH

Differences in musical setting between Kennerton and (if you've heard it ......) with the Beyerdinamic T5p? or with the more generic sound of Beyerdynamic?

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #3,413 of 10,126
I don't think I can find dots small enough. Nobody seems to sell them under 10mm. Yours look like 8mm.
I bought mine in a pack of felt assorted furniture protectors for like $9.99 from Costco but Im sure ace hardware has em or Michael's craft store

something like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/76-Self-...-007-174bb497b93923&athancid=null&athena=true

b3e7c0b7-a57e-4317-aae0-5d5dec2809af_1.599574df874ddf70eaa2fbd1489f6535.jpeg

this is closest and from amazon https://www.amazon.com/166-Piece-Two-Colors-Transparent/dp/B073ZQTBD3
71ScrdfvWOL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #3,415 of 10,126
Differences in musical setting between Kennerton and (if you've heard it ......) with the Beyerdinamic T5p? or with the more generic sound of Beyerdynamic?
Long term T5p user here that recently switched to Magni v3: Magni has better bass and goes deeper. No mid bass hump and no mentionable 6-8khz peak.
More importantly (for me) is that T5p's have a plasticy reverb / hollow enclosure sound to them. Magni is closed but sounds like a good set of speakers in that regard.
Comfort wise I would still give it to T5p (with different pads!).
If you use EQ, both can sound very similar, T5p needs more work. EQ will not fix the reverb issue though.

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #3,416 of 10,126
Long term T5p user here that recently switched to Magni v3: Magni has better bass and goes deeper. No mid bass hump and no mentionable 6-8khz peak.
More importantly (for me) is that T5p's have a plasticy reverb / hollow enclosure sound to them. Magni is closed but sounds like a good set of speakers in that regard.
Comfort wise I would still give it to T5p (with different pads!).
If you use EQ, both can sound very similar, T5p needs more work. EQ will not fix the reverb issue though.

If I take the Kennerton I have it driven by iBasso220max which sends the T5p very well. The T5p I appreciate it as it has an analytical sound, very fast even if it does not have a very open sound, even being a closed one. I'm looking for a headset that has the prerogatives of the T5p with more musicality and a more "body" in the midrange.

i pad Dekoni?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #3,418 of 10,126
Then I'd like to understand the differences between MAGNI and GJALLARHORN and VALI

Hi.

For the Gjallarhorn Cal.50 versus the Magni V3, you can read and reread these two very good reviews made by the same author, as well as watch the videos.

https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/kennerton-gjallarhorn-gh50-review/ (Overall Score 94/100)

https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/kennerton-magni-review/ (Overall Score 93/100)

And this paragraph (from the same author of these 2 reviews) concerning them :

Quote : "

VIII. A Tale of Two Brothers

Kennerton Gjallarhorn (€1080) VS Kennerton Magni3 (€690)

I know that many of you are having a hard time deciding which one is exactly for you. There is still quite a gap price wise between the two, so I understand your concern. When it comes to packaging, accessories and build quality, both are basically the same with the exception that horns have deeper earcups with real leather around them. Both are built to last a life-time, besides the heavy-duty cable that can be swapped, I sincerely don’t see anything falling apart in these.

They are using exactly the same 50mm graphene coated drivers, with the exception that Gjallarhorn is using a horn to passively increase the sound pressure level and their sensitivity and that is the biggest difference.

When it comes to sound, Magni are sounding like a traditional closed-back headphone with the exception that they don’t lack midrange presence at all and are sounding quite decompressed and airy compared to usual closed headphones. Magni are impressively fast and engaging sounding, they posses one of the strongest slams I’ve experienced in the headphone kingdom and if you are into modern hard-hitting music, then Magni will be more to your liking. Magni has even more bass and midrange presence, you will feel those first, followed by a natural but non-aggressive treble performance.

Gjallarhorn are more or less on the same page in terms of tonality, with the exception that horns are more linear top to bottom, with a better rendition of the treble. Since the sound waves will travel a longer distance, the final blow (or slam as I am calling it) will be attenuated a bit. Horns are not hitting like son of Thor does, wielding sledge-hammers and striking restless and maybe that is for the best if you are mostly listening to older tunes. The speed of delivery is the same, but the punch is different. Obviously, the biggest difference is when you start observing notes flying much farther away, like you exchanged places from the second row, to the 10-th row, you simply feel much farther away from the band. Music is deeper and its expanded in all directions, by comparison Magni can’t really do that. If you like your open headphones too much but want the same experience at your office desk at work, Gjallarhorn is probably your best bet.

They both have almost the same sound signature, with a very distinct rendition of spatial cues, slam and decay of all the notes. I don’t find Gjallarhorn a better headphone per se, it is simply different than the Magni. For some it might be a huge leap in performance if you can’t live without your open-backs, for some Magni might appeal more with their extremely jumpy and joyful sound signature. "

Regarding the Kennerton Vali 2019, an open electrodynamic headphones, it compares rather to the old Vali, and you can see this video of Wiliam Murdock concerning it.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #3,420 of 10,126
You personally if you have listened to them .... can you also give me your version of their differences?

Hello.

I owned the Magni V2 and was able to listen to (on loan) the old Vali, a long time ago (not the new one), nor the Gjallarhorn; I couldn't advise you regarding the new Magni V3, the new Vali (2019), and the Gjallahorn which I have not (yet) heard.

Sorry.

Having said that, I think we can trust these reviewers (linked above) and their expertise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back