Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Apr 16, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #9,091 of 10,062
I tried enough hybrids to have a proper opinion, including the AKG 340, which was great headphones for it's time and still can be better than some expensive headphones, but they have massive subbass roll off. Thats understandable considering they are from the late 70s , but some modern hybrids like the Final sonorus VI or the IMR one have been really poor.

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #9,092 of 10,062
I tried enough hybrids to have a proper opinion, including the AKG 340, which was great headphones for it's time and still can be better than some expensive headphones, but they have massive subbass roll off. Thats understandable considering they are from the late 70s , but some modern hybrids like the Final sonorus VI or the IMR one have been really poor.
Thanks for your reply....

For the K340 i can vouch that what you say is right with an old set right out of the box...

But i hope you did not sell them.... :) :wink:

I experienced the same thing as you stated it which is a contamination of bass and mids, and also subbass roll offf but only at FIRST listening...

Then i learned how to use them and modify them a bit, and the result was astonishing... No comparison between my first listening and now when they are well served at all.... I will not explain why and how in a Kennerton thread tough....

But now admitting in your own words that the K340 can be more than good untouched "right out of the box" even by today standards, imagine a complete transformative improvement where there is no more subbass roll off, nor mids and bass contamination...

I listened with them organ bass note with my body and fell the bass with my feet and stomach as if the wall of the room were trembling .... All the rest of frequencies is stunning too... i dream that the two old drivers would be improved by a contemporary audio company inspired by it....

No headphones i ever heard touched their realism and out of the head presentation ... I could not go back for a minute to any of my past headphone, even to the sextett or to my 2 Stax.... The Hifiman i bought sound as completely wrong compared to it, he break on my head anyway :wink: .... Then.... the K340 is an underestimated very hard to drive and hard to figure out headphone.... And we must figure out how he must be served because there is two new technologies inside to understand first... This is why there is some negative review of people not used to a so different headphone about which we must learn to set the right components around it.... This is the most hard headphone to drive and not because of his need about power, it is way more than that...

Kennerton unlike Hifiman dont make product that will break on top of my head as my Hifiman did for sure, i dream they will take the flag of innovation...

My best to you....

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #9,093 of 10,062
Thanks for your reply....

For the K340 i can vouch that what you say is right with an old set right out of the box...

But i hope you did not sell them....

I experienced the same thing as you state it which is a contamination of bass and mids, and also subbass roll offf at FIRST listening...

Then i learned how to use them and modify them a bit, and the result was astonishing... No comparison between my first listening and now at all.... I will not explain why and how in a Kennerton thread tough....

But now admitting in your own words that the K340 can be more than good "right out of the box" even by today standards, imagine a complete improvement where there is no more subbass roll off, nor mids and bass contamination...

I listened with them organ bass note with my body and fell the bass with my feet and stomach as if the wall of the room were trembling .... All the rest of frequencies is stunning too... i dream that the two old drivers would be improved by an audio company inspired by it.... No headphones i ever heard touched their realism and out of the head presentation ...

My best to you....
No doubt that they still hold up like a great headphone even by today standards. Sadly I sold it quite a few years ago cause I was trying as much hps as I could.
Obviously a improved one with subass and a polished frequency response would be awesome, but Im afraid that it would be hard to get one. Not only because it's hard, but because most companies are not really focused on innovations, which is the most expensive part.

Best regards.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #9,094 of 10,062
I am afraid you are right....

But here in this Kennerton thread, we must not doubt the innovative will behind the original material design of their headphones.... I only hope that they will go on with a long term goal, as a way to create an unrivaled beautiful hibryd....

As AkG did without going on and improving it, because it was too costly to manufacture, and to hard to figure out right for the average consumer.... Kennerton if i go seeing their products, at least even if as me we never listened to one of their product, we can certainly affirm that their material design is clean, solid, beautiful and original... Then an electro-static headphone with a dynamic cell driven by standard amplification will be a winner on all front.... My K340 is so good i know it rival even any Stax at any price.... The two Stax i own sound so much worse i cannot even imagine anything better...

Thanks so much for your opinion and i wish you the best from my heart.... I will read your future posts with interest...

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #9,095 of 10,062
I am afraid you are right....

But here in this Kwennerton thread, we must not doubt the innovative will behind the original material design of is headphones.... I only hope that they will go on with a long term goal, as a way to vreate an unrivaled beautiful hibrys.... As AkG did without going on improving it, because it was too costly to manufacture, and to hard to figure out right for the average consumer.... Kennerton if i go seeing their products, at least even if as me we ever listened to one of their product, we can certainly affirm that their material design is clean, solid, beautiful and original... Then an electro-static headphone with a dynamic cell driven by standard amplification will be a winner on all front.... My K340 is so good i know it rival even any Stax....
Kennerton are actually bringing some innovations to the table, specially with the Gjallarhorn and it's horn type technology. They aren't pioneers but they made a great job.
That said, it looks like they have a more classic and boutique approach, which I like too, but it would be really cool if they attemp to make a hybrid.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #9,096 of 10,062
Kennerton are actually bringing some innovations to the table, specially with the Gjallarhorn and it's horn type technology. They aren't pioneers but they made a great job.
That said, it looks like they have a more classic and boutique approach, which I like too, but it would be really cool if they attemp to make a hybrid.
I read interesting positive reviews about this horn type headphone....

But i enjoy already "an out of the head" soundfield with my classical recording .... It seems as most headphone before it, that this Gjallarhorn too present only at best an "around the head" or only near the head soundfield.... Then i will keep my K340 and wait...I like to listen music when the soundfield fill my room and not my head or around it.... I listen classical music recording where it is regularly recorded in this way... And the bass of the K340 cannot be really much improved in any way already, and the highs are rendered by an electrostatic ethereal field already then ...

But you are right using horn technology is innovative and another proof that Kennerton can innovate .... I will wait for their future hibryd....

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #9,097 of 10,062
I read interesting positive reviews about this horn type headphone....

But i enjoy already "an out of the head" soundfield with my classical recording .... It seems as most headphone before it, that this Gjallarhorn too present only at best an "around the head" or only near the head soundfield.... Then i will keep my K340 and wait...I like to listen music when the soundfield fill my room and not my head or around it.... I listen classical music recording where it is regularly recorded in this way... And the bass of the K340 cannot be really much improved in any way already, and the highs are rendered by an electrostatic ethereal field already then ...

But you are right using horn technology is innovative and another proof that Kennerton can innovate .... I will wait for their future hibryd....
I owned the Gjallarhorn JM edition and the soundstage and imaging is above average for a closed back, but don't expect something magical
The bass is way more boosted and punchy than on the AKG 340.
Anyways, they are really different headphones and won't be fair to compare them.
Give it a try if you ever gey the chance.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #9,099 of 10,062
now what's up with this longing for hybrids? Which companies make hybrids? Are the top 3 hybrids among the usually mentioned top tier HPs? Name the other 2 besides your AKG. Why not write and ask someone at Kennerton if/when/why/why not they intend to make you a hybrid? You're on some transhuman trip, right?

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #9,100 of 10,062
now what's up with this longing for hybrids? Which companies make hybrids? Are the top 3 hybrids among the usually mentioned top tier HPs? Name the other 2 besides your AKG. Why not write and ask someone at Kennerton if/when/why/why not they intend to make you a hybrid? You're on some transhuman trip, right?
Why not spoking about it here because for sure Kennerton read this thread by the way...

And the "longing" for hybrid is not a disease by the way.... But a technological interest justified by many objective reasons, then why suggesting otherwise?

And the fact that there is no hybrid on the top tier, save the K340, dont nullify the technology originality and acoustic effect , save if you pick your information mainly by reading consumers and marketing reviews...

And i dont like your accusation of being on an transhumanist trip , you dont know me and it is the complete reverse of my thinking , and i am well informed about transhumanism by the way....Speaking about the necessitry to study and learn acoustic to evaluate headphone listening better dont prove that i am transhumanist.... It prove that i am not a passive sleepwalking consumer... It seems you are one judging by your post...

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #9,101 of 10,062
Why not spoking about it here because for sure Kennerton read this thread by the way...

And the "longing" for hybrid is not a disease by the way.... But a technological interest justified by many objective reasons, then why suggesting otherwise?

And the fact that there is no hybrid on the top tier, save the K340, dont nullify the technology originality and acoustic effect , save if you pick your information mainly by reading consumers and marketing reviews...

And i dont like your accusation of being on an transhumanist trip , you dont know me and it is the complete reverse of my thinking , and i am well informed about transhumanism by the way....
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what are you doing on this thread? Are you curious about a particular Kennerton product or merely loitering?

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #9,102 of 10,062
Apr 16, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #9,103 of 10,062
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what are you doing on this thread? Are you curious about a particular Kennerton product or merely loitering?
Please dont take this the wrong way, but are you the censor and referee of this thread? If you have read my last 4 posts, i communicated why i am interested as many by Kennerton product : their design.... And yes i loiter because i like to discuss politely... About headphones... And Kennerton make serious design... I only suggested a future hybrid project is it a sin ? Then....I forgot to say that i admire Russian culture.... By the way...

My favorite book of all time is " the dream of a ridiculous man" by Dostoievski.... Tremendous book...My favorite composer after Bach is Scriabin, a way more important composer than many others... And the Russian piano school is the best ever for me bar to none... And i vouch a cult listening for Bortniansky among others ... Then i am not surprised by the quality of headphone russian design... This does not means that i am blind to other design ideas and books or music...

But if Scriabin is only surpassed by Bach for me , and if Dostoievski genius exceed Nietsche , i think hybrid may exceed other design ...I express it , is it against the law ?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #9,104 of 10,062
Please dont take this the wrong way, but are you the censor and referee of this thread? If you have read my last 4 posts, i communicated why i am interested as many by Kennerton product : their design.... And yes i loiter because i like to discuss politely... About headphones... And Kennerton make serious design... I only suggested a future hybrid project is it a sin ? Then....I forgot to say that i admire Russian culture.... By the way...

My favorite book of all time is " the dream of a ridiculous man" by Dostoievski.... Tremendous book...My favorite composer after Bach is Scriabin... And the Russian piano school is the best ever for me bar to none... And i vouch a cult listening for Bortniansky among others ...
Thanks for the explanation. As indicated, I was merely asking because you kept extolling the virtues of the AKG 340, and this thread has a checkered history of patterns such as this. But I stand corrected!

Good choice on Scriabin! His theory of colours was ahead of his time. 👍

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #9,105 of 10,062
I am passionate about my hybrid for sure... But the Kennerton design is the best quality i have seen in headphones and seems consistent in time ... Then i dream about a Kennerton hybrid one day... Because the best i listened to in my life, speakers included, is my hybrid...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back