Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 9, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #8,071 of 10,069
I own the Gjallarhorn GH50 JME Mark 2 edition and Rognir Planar bass-tuned phones and there is a marked contrast in the sound of the two. The JME2 is a bass-prominent, warm, dark, liquid-sounding phone but has limited resolution in the midrange and treble. The RP has a wealth of detail overall and has the best detail, spaciousness, transparency, and speed I have heard in headphones. The RP is definitely bass-shy compared to most phones I have heard including the JME2 but the bass it does have has great articulation and pitch definition. I have yet to hear a phone that dips into both camps well. Seems like you get one or the other. I did order a Subpac wearable subwoofer and looking forward to seeing if it will let you have it all.
If you have JM mod the Rögnir Planar you can get a bit more bass but agree not to GH level.

Jul 9, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #8,072 of 10,069
I thought the Rognir Dynamic was a better technical headphone but found the character of the JM modified GH40 to be better with stronger and deeper bass.

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #8,075 of 10,069
I see the Kennerton site has been down for a few days. Does anyone know what is going on with it?
Given duration, I’m starting to lean toward possible cybersecurity incident.

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #8,077 of 10,069
They said on Instagram that they were gonna take down their website a few days to make some changes and improve it.
Glad to hear that.

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #8,078 of 10,069
Kennerton website is up again with a pretty big redesign (I liked the old design better tbh)

Jul 11, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #8,079 of 10,069
Looks like Kennerton liked @John Massaria modded version of the Vali so much that they are sending him custom engraved versions with his name on them. Just like the GH50.
https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/product-page/vali-neoteric-baltic-sea-jm-editon-mk1

2796025A-E68F-4ADF-AA95-D908F4A89FCB.jpeg
12B45775-9D7E-4FF6-BA13-A32C812E6BCE.jpeg

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #8,080 of 10,069
Looks like Kennerton liked @John Massaria modded version of the Vali so much that they are sending him custom engraved versions with his name on them. Just like the GH50.
https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/product-page/vali-neoteric-baltic-sea-jm-editon-mk1

2796025A-E68F-4ADF-AA95-D908F4A89FCB.jpeg12B45775-9D7E-4FF6-BA13-A32C812E6BCE.jpeg
Good to hear. I don’t know if I was original requestor of the mod to John or not but his mod is a a vast improvement on stock to my ears. The stock had great potential but his modifications, particularly the tighter control of the bass without losing impact in the lows, really elevated the headphone.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #8,081 of 10,069
Good to hear. I don’t know if I was original requestor of the mod to John or not but his mod is a a vast improvement on stock to my ears. The stock had great potential but his modifications, particularly the tighter control of the bass without losing impact in the lows, really elevated the headphone.
I got the mod after you did. I would agree that it is really a great improvement over the stock as far as controlling the bass goes.
Though, I could see some people prefer the thick greasy all over the place bass the stock had. Cause it was super fun though lacked in detail and substance.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #8,082 of 10,069
I got the mod after you did. I would agree that it is really a great improvement over the stock as far as controlling the bass goes.
Though, I could see some people prefer the thick greasy all over the place bass the stock had. Cause it was super fun though lacked in detail and substance.
Fair point and great, evocative description of the pre-mod base response.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #8,083 of 10,069
I am a happy three year+ owner of the original Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition - endorsed and offered by Kennerton 🎼 😌🎵:
086C33AD-3B10-4328-8983-5B236688C4FD.jpeg

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #8,084 of 10,069
After much scouting about, I finally received what must be the last new pair of Thror in EU/UK. I had wanted to buy direct from Kennerton, but there's currently no shipping from Russia to Austria, so that ruled that out. In the end, I received a pair of Palisander's, which to my surprise look much nicer in the flesh and also come with the first-gen Kennerton box. Some first/brief impressions:

1. Build is outstanding. The build on the Rognir was already very good, but the Thror takes it up a notch. They feel remarkably solid in the hand. Headphones one wants to take care of but that one doesn't have to overly baby.

2. As I hear them now, they're the perfect counterpart to the Rognir; more reference tuning, similar level of dynamics/engagement, less sub-bass elevation, more linear mids, airy and crisp. Technically, they're a marvel; I think the imaging and detail retrieval are a step-up from Rognir, which were already top notch.

3. Fantastic pairing on Bakoon HPA-21 and Bakoon HPA-01M with Qutest and Hugo 2 respectively. Anyone who has a Kennerton headphone, I recommend checking out the Bakoon amps because the synergy is compelling.

Currently using the stock Rognir cable (CLC-04), which pairs well but I have an Artic Cables Gladius on the way, which may squeeze even more performance out of them.

So far, very impressed, indeed and reinforces my conviction that the Kennerton house-sound/approach is the one for me.

1110505.jpg

1110508.jpg

1110511.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #8,085 of 10,069
Hey so recently (well actually around 4 weeks ago) I acquired my endgame closed backs (for now): the Kennerton GH40 (review on that soon by the way). The one issue problem is that the pleather headband cushion has started to show signs or cracking. Is there any way to avoid this, or is it inevitable? I am already ordering a headband cover (which will unfortunately ruin the aesthetic of the headband), but would anyone here who has experience with the GH40 say that this cracking is normal?

also, i really wish kennerton made the actual pad on the headband replaceable (like sennheiser and beyerdynamic do), or else i wouldn't be worrying about this as I could just order a new one

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back