Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 5, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #8,056 of 10,110
I just received these today.

It's been a couple weeks since Kennerton promised me a pair of the ECL-03 pads for my Rognir so I assumed they forgot it, but it was sitting inside the carrying case with the headphone. That was a very pleasant surprise.

Attachments

• 8ClE6SZ.jpg
    8ClE6SZ.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AenwnGt.jpg
    AenwnGt.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 0
  • JsrkFlc.jpg
    JsrkFlc.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #8,058 of 10,110
How does the JM modded Gjallahorn compared to the Rognir Dynamic? Has any one tried them side by side?
It's been a few weeks since I tried them both but from what I remember the GH50 JM has significantly more bass, and a more pronounced vocal region. Rognir Dynamic sounded more neutral but leaned towards a dark sound.

Jul 9, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #8,059 of 10,110
How does the JM modded Gjallahorn compared to the Rognir Dynamic? Has any one tried them side by side?
I'm working on a review for the Rognir Dynamic, modded by JM, and own the JM MK2.
JM MK2 is tuned for fun with a Warm and Bass heavy sound with a massive sound stage that is almost artificial in size that doesn't lack in detail and highs.
The Rognir Dynamic is much more mid and highs focused with a neutral/natural sound signature; It has significantly less bass than the JM MK2 but isn't lacking in the bass department. It has a smaller but more natural sound signature compared to the JM MK2.

Jul 9, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #8,060 of 10,110
Thanks for the reply. I am currently looking for my first set of headphones. Both of them are a bit over my budget so ill try to find them used.

For a normal listener who uses it mainly for media consumption and listens to pop, rock and electronic music, which of the two do you recommend?

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #8,061 of 10,110
Thanks for the reply. I am currently looking for my first set of headphones. Both of them are a bit over my budget so ill try to find them used.

For a normal listener who uses it mainly for media consumption and listens to pop, rock and electronic music, which of the two do you recommend?
Depends, if you want lots of bass get the JM MK2. If you want a more natural sound get the Rognir Dynamic.

Jul 9, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #8,062 of 10,110

Do you need closed back headphones? If not you could look at getting the Vali MK1. It has the nearly the same level of bass as the JM MK2 but its overall sound is natural, similar to the Rognir Dynamic. It is a natural sounding headphone with a lot of bass. https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/product-page/vali-neoteric-baltic-sea-jm-editon-mk1

Jul 9, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #8,063 of 10,110
Do you need closed back headphones? If not you could look at getting the Vali MK1. It has the nearly the same level of bass as the JM MK2 but its overall sound is natural, similar to the Rognir Dynamic. It is a natural sounding headphone with a lot of bass. https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/product-page/vali-neoteric-baltic-sea-jm-editon-mk1
Those look really gorgeous. As much as i want the open backs, i cant get it as i dont want the sound to disturb other people near me.

People are also recommending me the LSA HP-2.

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #8,065 of 10,110
Hi all. Reviews of the Vali Neoteric are difficult to find. Any happy owner of that HP could give a short review please?
I own the JM modded version of the Vali Neoteric, the main change with the mod was controlling the bass so it doesn't bleed as much into the mids. The Vali Neoteric is a super fun and energetic headphones with hard hitting and powerful bass that extends deep into the sub range with great rumble that is insanely fun to listen too. They are bass cannon headphones but instead of being super warm, like most bass focused headphones, they are slightly bright of neutral. No details are loss even with all the bass they produce. They are not the most refined headphones are if you don't like a lot of bass they probably aren't for you. Basically every song sound fantastic on the Vali Neoteric. If you want even more bass you can swap the pads with the ECL-02/3 or the JM Cooling gel pads.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #8,066 of 10,110
Those look really gorgeous. As much as i want the open backs, i cant get it as i dont want the sound to disturb other people near me.

People are also recommending me the LSA HP-2.
The LSA HP-2 is LSA's version of the Gjallarhorn GH50. They are super airy and sound very similar to listening to speakers in room. They are a great option if you are on a budget and can't afford the GH50/JM MK2. Since they are only $800 with free shipping from Underwood. https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-headphones
They don't have a lot of bass so if you are a bass head you will probably find them to underwhelming in the bass department.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #8,067 of 10,110
The LSA HP-2 is LSA's version of the Gjallarhorn GH50. They are super airy and sound very similar to listening to speakers in room. They are a great option if you are on a budget and can't afford the GH50/JM MK2. Since they are only $800 with free shipping from Underwood. https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-headphones
They don't have a lot of bass so if you are a bass head you will probably find them to underwhelming in the bass department.
Does airy mean that the LSAs lacks in impact and slam?

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #8,069 of 10,110
I own the JM modded version of the Vali Neoteric, the main change with the mod was controlling the bass so it doesn't bleed as much into the mids. The Vali Neoteric is a super fun and energetic headphones with hard hitting and powerful bass that extends deep into the sub range with great rumble that is insanely fun to listen too. They are bass cannon headphones but instead of being super warm, like most bass focused headphones, they are slightly bright of neutral. No details are loss even with all the bass they produce. They are not the most refined headphones are if you don't like a lot of bass they probably aren't for you. Basically every song sound fantastic on the Vali Neoteric. If you want even more bass you can swap the pads with the ECL-02/3 or the JM Cooling gel pads.
I concur. Echoes my impressions of the Vali Neo post-JM mod.

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #8,070 of 10,110
I own the Gjallarhorn GH50 JME Mark 2 edition and Rognir Planar bass-tuned phones and there is a marked contrast in the sound of the two. The JME2 is a bass-prominent, warm, dark, liquid-sounding phone but has limited resolution in the midrange and treble. The RP has a wealth of detail overall and has the best detail, spaciousness, transparency, and speed I have heard in headphones. The RP is definitely bass-shy compared to most phones I have heard including the JME2 but the bass it does have has great articulation and pitch definition. I have yet to hear a phone that dips into both camps well. Seems like you get one or the other. I did order a Subpac wearable subwoofer and looking forward to seeing if it will let you have it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back