Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 11, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #6,542 of 10,033
Just changed pads myself on the Rognir, going from stock non-perforated leather to ZMF lambskin Auteur.

It's very to do a direct A/B since it takes a good 3/4 minutes changing them. But first that's clear - with ZMF pads, they seem to be in "bass heavy" tuning now. There's more weight in the sub-bass emphasis. I feel they're a bit more forward now, perhaps slightly more intimate in terms of staging.

In any case, the ZMF pads are certainly very comfortable and would solve any issues with ears touching inside of cups/drivers.

The actual fit of the pad works, though there's a bit of extra "skin" on the ZMF pads, so the fit around the ring isn't as tight at on stock pads.

Will listen more. Worth a go, for sure.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #6,543 of 10,033
Just changed pads myself on the Rognir, going from stock non-perforated leather to ZMF lambskin Auteur.

It's very to do a direct A/B since it takes a good 3/4 minutes changing them. But first that's clear - with ZMF pads, they seem to be in "bass heavy" tuning now. There's more weight in the sub-bass emphasis. I feel they're a bit more forward now, perhaps slightly more intimate in terms of staging.

In any case, the ZMF pads are certainly very comfortable and would solve any issues with ears touching inside of cups/drivers.

The actual fit of the pad works, though there's a bit of extra "skin" on the ZMF pads, so the fit around the ring isn't as tight at on stock pads.

Will listen more. Worth a go, for sure.
Edit: rolled back to stock. Stock is preferable to me. Feels slightly snappier.

Also, the ZMF pads have a protective layer on the pad, where this layer is already on the Rognir cup, so I'm not sure to what extent this double layering affects sound.

I also have some other ZMF pads here and will maybe try later.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #6,544 of 10,033
At one time I was enamored with the ZMF VC phones but didn't want to pay the $2500+ and could never find a used pair with any significant discount, so I bought the Gjallarhorn GH50 JME at half the price and glad I did. With the JM Mark 2 edition it is difficult to imagine any other phones sounding as good.
My favorites of all time for pure listening pleasure 100%

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #6,545 of 10,033

Also, the ZMF pads have a protective layer on the pad, where this layer is already on the Rognir cup, so I'm not sure to what extent this double layering affects sound.

ZMF Universe Pads non perforated lambskin? I do agree about Universe Pad having a much deeper bass (the memory foam is denser and the pad isolates more as well) and the quagmire about the sheer fabric on the ZMF- will have to keep switching between the stock non perforated flat memory Kennerton pads which up until now I think I preferred best but again I need more time to compare ...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #6,546 of 10,033

If you have BE2 pads, can you try those?

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #6,547 of 10,033
just to mention not sure if those will work diamter wise... maybe..what I found is:
ZMF BE2 w/ Diameter of 109.22mm vs the ZMF Universe of 108mm (fits nice and nearly as snug on Rognir as stock) vs the what I think is also 108mm for the Rognir stock Kennerton ECL-R-01 lambskin memory foam (which up until recently was reigning champ for pads for Rognir - I need to continue to compare the two)
as an example... this song - insane dynamics - advance to 0:55 seconds - song "Limit to your Love" by James Blake- yes try it both 320kbps and hires both are insane! on the Rognir ZMF/Universe/Lambskin .... we will see (hear)

or try for "The Way I Am"... amazing vocals and stage and layering and depth in the thoughtfully mastered recording: organic genuine hand claps, acoustic guitar, drum, snare - a great song to do some comparisons between pads -

or jump out of your head recording here:

or

life is good with music like this and to extract all the goodness out with headphones like the Rognir's - what an healthy endorphin raising obsession we all enjoy!
(try this playlist)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #6,549 of 10,033
ZMF Universe Pads non perforated lambskin? I do agree about Universe Pad having a much deeper bass (the memory foam is denser and the pad isolates more as well) and the quagmire about the sheer fabric on the ZMF- will have to keep switching between the stock non perforated flat memory Kennerton pads which up until now I think I preferred best but again I need more time to compare ...
I was trying with ZMF Auteur, whichever I understand are close to Universe. Sadly, I sold my pair of Universe pads as they're way too warm for me on the Veritie Closed.

I am curious about the fabric on the ZMF pad, too. I know nothing about the technicalities of pad rolling but I can't help but think double fabric isn't great for clarity.

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #6,550 of 10,033
If you have BE2 pads, can you try those?
Just tried BE2. Basically, they don't really fit. You can install them, but the flap is too loose, so there's some wiggle on the pad. This means the seal isn't as good as on Auteur and stock pad. Difficult to judge sound tonality because of that. Yup, can't recommend, I'm afraid.

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #6,551 of 10,033
Just tried BE2. Basically, they don't really fit. You can install them, but the flap is too loose, so there's some wiggle on the pad. This means the seal isn't as good as on Auteur and stock pad. Difficult to judge sound tonality because of that. Yup, can't recommend, I'm afraid.
precisely .. as mentioned- ZMF BE2 w/ Diameter of 109.22mm vs the ZMF Universe of 108mm (fits nice and nearly as snug on Rognir as stock)

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #6,552 of 10,033
Please note! The pads for our Planars have been designed with three main requirements in mind: 1. To provide the best possible sound quality. 2. To provide the best possible comfort. 3. To provide the longest driver life possible. And only when all three points are met - everything will be fine and without unpleasant surprises. That's why we didn't use foam pads made of dense foam and without perforations for our open-back planars - when you use them, the 3d point doesn't work! Because of the possible overpressure on the diaphragm, the driver is very likely to fail quickly! Therefore, I strongly advise against the use of pads designed for dynamic headphones! Sorry, but if the drivers fail, it's not a warranty case, isn't it? For example, if I plug a 127 volt amplifier into a 220 volt mains supply, it's my fault that it burned out, right? Please be careful with alternative pads. Especially with Thekk, Wodan, Thror models - changing pads could kill those headphones very quickly. With Rognir this probability is less, but it still cannot be denied! Please be careful! And please don't forget, whatever your musical preferences, we are always ready to advise you the best and the safest solution.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #6,553 of 10,033
Well I have to say I never thought of that!! Awesome insight and truth - Wow! I need to switch back to the stock Kennerton flat non perforated pad - it does sound most natural with bass and better details- more even handed and a best balance experience- with the wider stage as well - thank you Valentin for the care to all the details - who knew!!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #6,555 of 10,033
Please note! The pads for our Planars have been designed with three main requirements in mind: 1. To provide the best possible sound quality. 2. To provide the best possible comfort. 3. To provide the longest driver life possible. And only when all three points are met - everything will be fine and without unpleasant surprises. That's why we didn't use foam pads made of dense foam and without perforations for our open-back planars - when you use them, the 3d point doesn't work! Because of the possible overpressure on the diaphragm, the driver is very likely to fail quickly! Therefore, I strongly advise against the use of pads designed for dynamic headphones! Sorry, but if the drivers fail, it's not a warranty case, isn't it? For example, if I plug a 127 volt amplifier into a 220 volt mains supply, it's my fault that it burned out, right? Please be careful with alternative pads. Especially with Thekk, Wodan, Thror models - changing pads could kill those headphones very quickly. With Rognir this probability is less, but it still cannot be denied! Please be careful! And please don't forget, whatever your musical preferences, we are always ready to advise you the best and the safest solution.
Yup, I tried for a couple of times with ZMF. No problem with comfort, but overall clarity/transparency/speed seem to take a hit. Stock sound best to me.

BTW: @VKazanzhi if I give you my serial number, can you confirm that I have the "stock/non-bassy" tuning for my Rognir? I'm sure I have, but confirmation would be good.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back