Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #6,511 of 10,028
Gracias Terriero! Si que se van si, desde agosto una sangría:D

I've been searching some info about customs...and it is a crazy thing these days. Spanish customs are stopping almost everything, including a 25% tax of the item's value. Plus customs in USA...they can charge up to 400 eur for sending/receiving...nonsense

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #6,512 of 10,028
Just goes to show how desperate for money governments are these days, unfortunately.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #6,513 of 10,028
Just goes to show how desperate for money governments are these days, unfortunately.
It is always easier for governments to justify taxing ‘cross-border’ activity than ‘domestic’ activity…

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #6,514 of 10,028
Haven't posted on Head-Fi for quite a while (not that I ever posted much...), but I did feel like I should offer my brief impressions on the revised (now MKII) GH50 JM Edition I received back from John Massaria a week ago. I'm not good with any of the technical terms I'm afraid, so this will be a very "layman's terms" impression.

The first and most noticeable difference between the original JM edition sound and the mkII mod, IMO, is the depth of the soundstage. To be honest, my immediate reaction was disappointment, as it seemed to have an echo like effect. Allowing my ears to acclimate to it over the past week, the "echo" is still noticeable but not as bothersome as before and the added depth is a very welcome and impressive addition. Width-wise, there is an increase as well, but to a lesser degree. As a whole, the increased soundstage gives a greater sense of space while still retaining the bulk of the forwardness and agressiveness of the GM50's sound.

Bass quantity seems to have increased a notch but is more defined. There's more texture to the bass than prior. As much as I liked the GH50 JM's original sound signature, I did feel the bass could at times be boomy and not defined. Even with the added quantity to the MKII version, the bass doesn't give me that impression at all. IMO, this is due to the increased depth of the soundstage, as the bass is not as forward as before. The one critique I have here is the bass still lacks punch.

I'm not really detecting much change to the midrange. It's every bit as meaty and forward as before. This is the area I was most concerned with, as it was the midrange I liked the most of its original sound. I am very glad that if there is much difference, I certainly am not hearing it (or recalling it).

Treble has a definition bump. It is neither extended nor rolled off from what I can gather. It's easier to pick up the details of the treble than it was before. Again, I believe the majority of the change is due to the increase of width and even more so increase in depth of the soundstage.

Final verdict - I'm very happy to have sent my GH50 to John for his mkii revisions. To me, it's an upgrade in the areas the GM50 may have been lacking without taking anything away from the best elements. Many thanks to John for his first GH50 revision (the JM edition) and his continued pursuit of getting the GM50 to reach it's full potential (mkII). Kudos, John!
The Mk2 gives the owner two new options for tuning- 1) You can remove the neoprene discs I installed under the ear pads (just slowly work the neoprene out under each pad -- do not remove ear pads- you can always stick them back in latter- this may give you what you seek and likely to make the sq closer to what what you like... still something you can play with - 2) You also now tune the Mk2 by plugging the bass ports for further bass control and highlight the mid to upper range. Try removing the dark charcoal neoprene rings and tell us your impression if you can...
4EF3DE7E-6429-448C-8E91-C096662B6657.jpeg
614D0838-FDB4-486C-839E-35841538F835.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,515 of 10,028
I am not doing a darn thing to my JM modified Gjallarhorn JM Edition. I am completely satisfied with their sound. Unless, of course, John develops a Mark 3 edition :).

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #6,516 of 10,028
Gracias Terriero! Si que se van si, desde agosto una sangría:D

I've been searching some info about customs...and it is a crazy thing these days. Spanish customs are stopping almost everything, including a 25% tax of the item's value. Plus customs in USA...they can charge up to 400 eur for sending/receiving...nonsense
Perdona, que no me di cuenta que llevas desde 2005 aquí, solo vi el número de mensajes que habías escrito y pensé que eras nuevo. Supongo que has estado informándote, sin escribir, en este mundillo "sacadero de perras" :beerchug:

Yes, like I said, is a lot of money. Maybe @John Massaria is interested in go on vacation to Spain :wink: (the mk2 european route :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #6,517 of 10,028
Perdona, que no me di cuenta que llevas desde 2005 aquí, solo vi el número de mensajes que habías escrito y pensé que eras nuevo. Supongo que has estado informándote, sin escribir, en este mundillo "sacadero de perras" :beerchug:

Yes, like I said, is a lot of money. Maybe @John Massaria is interested in go on vacation to Spain :wink: (the mk2 european route :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).
Hahaha as a Spaniard I would love that for sure. Btw I'm not sending or buying anything from the USA anymore. Last September I got totally unexpected custom fees that were crazy expensive. Considering there is a huge global economy crash incoming I have to agree with the guy who said that goverments are desperate to get money from everything...

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #6,518 of 10,028
Dec 9, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #6,519 of 10,028
Umm I seriously Don't recall any headphone I've ever demo'd, auditioned, or owned, that does what the Rognir does period. Imaging, soundstage, it doesn't remove but keeps the naturalness of the singers vocals you can hear the breathing, the grit of their voice it doesn't sound Normalized which I seem to find in many headphones and is just so dynamic when the singer is moving away or they control the volume of their voice. EX: starting low and just gradually getting louder and it's just so distinct to me with the Rognir. the seperation of instruments are the best I've heard.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #6,521 of 10,028
which universal ? I kinda want to try the suede. XD
I’ve just swapped out the stock Rognir pads with ZMF universal lamb skin non-perforated pads and I love the sound even more, especially the bass. They are slightly angled so they provide better seal and prevent my ears from touching the drivers. It’s a definite improvement for me.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #6,522 of 10,028
which universal ? I kinda want to try the suede. XD
ZMF Universe pads, lambskin, non-perforated version click here (they come with the Verité Closed). My Ori Suede and Universe Hybrid will be delivered in the next 7 days. Will report back.

I’ve just swapped out the stock Rognir pads with ZMF universal lamb skin non-perforated pads and I love the sound even more, especially the bass. They are slightly angled so they provide better seal and prevent my ears from touching the drivers. It’s a definite improvement for me.
Happy to see other like this combo too. What kinda music you tried?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #6,525 of 10,028
I kinda want to buy two pairs of earpads(lambskin non-perforated) >_< does universal Suede Perforated sound interesting or non XD ?
Well, I ordered the Universe hybrid to try them out for my Rögnir and Atticus. I don't know how the Rögnir reacts to perforated pads, because they are usually paired with open back ZMF cans (Auteur, Aeolus, Verité Open). ZMFs "Pad Guide"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back