Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 4, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #5,612 of 10,061
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #5,613 of 10,061
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #5,614 of 10,061
Thanks. I did see those and the imperfect condition looks manageable, but to be honest, I'd rather go for the Bubinga or Maple finish, especially if I plan on keeping hold of them.

Bog Oak might looks a bit doubt, but it is light and very robust.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #5,616 of 10,061
As a recent Rognir devotee, can someone kindly provide a brief sense of how the Thror and Rognir compare in terms of timbre? I find myself ogling over the Thror Novel Curly Maple here. Dang.

+1

I would love an open version of Rögnir, with a similar tonality.
The Thror sound is even more neutral/reference than the Rognir. While I appreciate its almost monitor-like tonality, sometimes I feel its not as engaging when I'm trying to immerse myself in the music. If you're looking at the Thror Novel as a potential purchase, I would suggest emailing Kennerton requesting for a custom version. Its not much more at this price point and you have some exotic wood option as a bonus but the main thing is able to request for a "more bassy" tuning.

I requested a bassier tuning w/ my custom Rognir seeing as how I've read that's its somewhat neutral, and the resulting unit sounds warmer than the VC. :wink:

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #5,617 of 10,061
The Thror sound is even more neutral/reference than the Rognir. While I appreciate its almost monitor-like tonality, sometimes I feel its not as engaging when I'm trying to immerse myself in the music. If you're looking at the Thror Novel as a potential purchase, I would suggest emailing Kennerton requesting for a custom version. Its not much more at this price point and you have some exotic wood option as a bonus but the main thing is able to request for a "more bassy" tuning.

I requested a bassier tuning w/ my custom Rognir seeing as how I've read that's its somewhat neutral, and the resulting unit sounds warmer than the VC. :wink:
Thanks that's good to know. Essentially, what I would like in the Thror is an open back version of the Rognir with a near identical FR. If Kennerton can do that via the Thror Novel, then that's very tempting.

Your custom Rognir sounds warmer than VC? Wow, ok. This is interesting. Have you received them? Got any pictures?

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #5,618 of 10,061
Your custom Rognir sounds warmer than VC? Wow, ok. This is interesting. Have you received them? Got any pictures?
It was the one of a kind custom unit...I think Kennerton took better pics of it on their FB page but i did upload it on here before

Attachments

• SB Rognir2.jpeg
    SB Rognir2.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SB Rognir1.JPG
    SB Rognir1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • SB_Rognir.jpg
    SB_Rognir.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #5,620 of 10,061
It was the one of a kind custom unit...I think Kennerton took better pics of it on their FB page but i did upload it on here before
Beautiful pieces of art

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #5,621 of 10,061
As i got this beautiful Arctic Magnus cable for TH900iis and its a big improvement, yet, Rognir sounds like an open headphone next to Fostex which sounded more open to D9200 and many others..
I have exactly the same TH900 set-up with the Magnus cable. Did you end up keeping your TH900? I hate to say it, but I find moving back to the TH900 a really jarring experience, and not in a good way.... :scream:

P1090830.JPG

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #5,622 of 10,061
Im quite curious about the upcoming loaner unit since its been hinted having a blu-ish stabilized cup. When ordering a custom unit, Kennerton will make 2 different cup sets giving you a choice to pick the one you prefer. I picked this cup due to my preference of having more blue color and fractal patterns but the alternative is also unique like wood being submerged in the ocean water..if its the one I'm thinking of...hmm...

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #5,623 of 10,061
I was looking for a pair of closed-back planars and found Rögnir, sadly they are out of stock everywhere :triportsad:

Edit: Darn that Purple Heart looks gorgeous.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #5,624 of 10,061
Im quite curious about the upcoming loaner unit since its been hinted having a blu-ish stabilized cup. When ordering a custom unit, Kennerton will make 2 different cup sets giving you a choice to pick the one you prefer. I picked this cup due to my preference of having more blue color and fractal patterns but the alternative is also unique like wood being submerged in the ocean water..if its the one I'm thinking of...hmm...
Maybe it will look something like this:
194418609_222864922729854_7367920993889661248_n.jpg193989059_480027203278623_2583138301315029462_n.jpg
194042835_879667209255968_2632466009414534887_n.jpg194037198_505650430638120_4219251889164145666_n.jpg

I was in contact with Kennerton a while ago about blue stabilized Rögnir, even it was GORGEOUS looking, I decided finally against it, since it would have cost even more and would have to bear import taxes and VAT in addition.
Very curious who got these in its assembled form!

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #5,625 of 10,061
I've been listening to the Rognir since I received them this morning and I have to say I've been unable to take them off all day (which hasn't been great, since I've a looming work deadline tomorrow). I think there's something about special about these headphones. It's a bit of a cliché to say a new bit of high-end gear makes one rediscover their music library; but in a sense this seems to be the case with the Rognir. Not only does it effortlessly reveal details in music, it does so in a highly engaging way - in a sense, you feel closer to the music itself because you're hearing everything that's going on with a greater sense of realism.

I was scrolling through my Roon library this evening and would say that the Rognir has produced music in a way I've not heard before in a headphone, closed or open. I don't know what kind of technical alchemy is at work in the drivers or in the construction, but the imaging and soundstage are quite staggering. I don't think the Rognir introduces a sense of wide soundstage where there isn't one, but in live recordings and in jazz/fusion and some prog rock, it produces a sense of space with a striking sense of accuracy. Impressive and addictive.

Anyone looking to move to a top-tier closed-back headphone will likely be quite awe-struck by the level of detail and general technical performance of the Rognir (and this isn't always the case; certainly I wouldn't say the Vérité Closed have an immediate sense of "awe"). I think they will also be immensely pleased by the general presentation of the Rognir; it feels good in the hands, is comfortable on the head, and sounds quite speculator, too.

I'll be interested to see how they redefine my relationship to the Vérité Closed. In terms of timbre, I cannot see anything I'd alter in the Rognir. I know that a few people on this thread like @DarginMahkum have EQ'd their pair, but I don't see anywhere I feel needs tweaking. Right out of the box, they sound just right; nothing irks or distracts me. On the Vérité Closed, I would generally lower the mid-bass by -2.5db and raise the upper mids by the same amount. In a sense, that's closer to the FR of the Rognir. Where that leaves the Vérité Closed remains to be seen....
Aha.. a new Kennerton devotee. Welcome to the club! :wink:

Yes, the Rögnir is a fantastic headphone that prizes a good blend of detail with technical prowess. It's not clinical in sound but it isn't colored either. For fans of a neutral-ish tone, the Rögnir should rightfully be at the top of that closed-back shopping list.

For me, I've not been as captivated with the Rögnir (as I hoped that I would), but I'm certainly a fan. Whether I'm willing to drop $3,000+ on them remains to be seen. Still, they are a keeper, in terms of looks and sound. :)

Enjoy your cans, mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back