Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 3, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #5,597 of 10,126
I've been listening to the Rognir since I received them this morning and I have to say I've been unable to take them off all day (which hasn't been great, since I've a looming work deadline tomorrow). I think there's something about special about these headphones. It's a bit of a cliché to say a new bit of high-end gear makes one rediscover their music library; but in a sense this seems to be the case with the Rognir. Not only does it effortlessly reveal details in music, it does so in a highly engaging way - in a sense, you feel closer to the music itself because you're hearing everything that's going on with a greater sense of realism.

I was scrolling through my Roon library this evening and would say that the Rognir has produced music in a way I've not heard before in a headphone, closed or open. I don't know what kind of technical alchemy is at work in the drivers or in the construction, but the imaging and soundstage are quite staggering. I don't think the Rognir introduces a sense of wide soundstage where there isn't one, but in live recordings and in jazz/fusion and some prog rock, it produces a sense of space with a striking sense of accuracy. Impressive and addictive.

Anyone looking to move to a top-tier closed-back headphone will likely be quite awe-struck by the level of detail and general technical performance of the Rognir (and this isn't always the case; certainly I wouldn't say the Vérité Closed have an immediate sense of "awe"). I think they will also be immensely pleased by the general presentation of the Rognir; it feels good in the hands, is comfortable on the head, and sounds quite speculator, too.

I'll be interested to see how they redefine my relationship to the Vérité Closed. In terms of timbre, I cannot see anything I'd alter in the Rognir. I know that a few people on this thread like @DarginMahkum have EQ'd their pair, but I don't see anywhere I feel needs tweaking. Right out of the box, they sound just right; nothing irks or distracts me. On the Vérité Closed, I would generally lower the mid-bass by -2.5db and raise the upper mids by the same amount. In a sense, that's closer to the FR of the Rognir. Where that leaves the Vérité Closed remains to be seen....

Aug 3, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #5,598 of 10,126
Rognir in the house. The only question is: who will reign supreme between the American and Russian closed-back giants? It's like Rocky IV all over again 🥊

P1090793.JPGP1090801.JPG
Very nice wood choice!

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #5,600 of 10,126
Aug 3, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #5,601 of 10,126
Aug 3, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #5,602 of 10,126
Aug 3, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #5,603 of 10,126
Decided to come back to my favorite thread on head-fi for my 1000th post LOL. Thanks guys for making this thread the best on head-fi!

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #5,604 of 10,126
For all (Kennerton) headphone lovers I put together a list of 100+ songs enjoy... add to your favorite hi res files latter ( I do plan on making a similar list on AmazonHD Music soon) - enjoy the music

Thank you for this.

Aug 4, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #5,605 of 10,126
I saw that a US tour for the Rognir was announced here on head-fi. It will be great to see/read the reviews/impressions. I was happy to see this announced. Details here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/us-...d-back-planar-headphone.958947/#post-16486598

Thank you very much for sharing my tour to the official thread. I am still in the process to finalise the content of the package with Kennerton. I just received the earcup photo, it will be a "bluish" stabilised wood, Kennerton will add a "lightweight" 4.4mm headphone for portable gears, and we'll also include extra pairs of earpads to accommodate different sound preference in the tour. I plan to share the tour to two Kennerton threads after I update the content of the tour package, but since the cat is out of the bag, I might as well tell everything the details up front.

On the other hand, if you are heading to Canjam SoCal 2021, make sure you add Rognir in your agenda, this is an one-off public demonstrate of Rognir in US.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 4, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #5,606 of 10,126
Thank you very much for sharing my tour to the official thread. I am still in the process to finalise the content of the package with Kennerton. I just received the earcup photo, it will be a "bluish" stabilised wood, Kennerton will add a "lightweight" 4.4mm headphone for portable gears, and we'll also include extra pairs of earpads to accommodate different sound preference in the tour. I plan to share the tour to two Kennerton threads after I update the content of the tour package, but since the cat is out of the bag, I might as well tell everything the details up front.

On the other hand, if you are heading to Canjam SoCal 2021, make sure you add Rognir in your agenda, this is an one-off public demonstrate of Rognir in US.
I didn't know that you are a Kennerton fan. :)

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #5,607 of 10,126
I know that a few people on this thread like @DarginMahkum have EQ'd their pair, but I don't see anywhere I feel needs tweaking. Right out of the box, they sound just right; nothing irks or distracts me. On the Vérité Closed, I would generally lower the mid-bass by -2.5db and raise the upper mids by the same amount. In a sense, that's closer to the FR of the Rognir. Where that leaves the Vérité Closed remains to be seen....
I EQ most of the HPs in that region and have a specific idea about how it should sound. Even the Solitaire P and P-SE get a - 2 to -3 dB cut there. In case of Rögnir I preferred it to be slightly thicker. But with the new Brainwavz Gamer Pads, I don't need to EQ anymore. Rönir (+new pads) for me is one of the few HPs that sounds good without EQ.

My current Thekk EQ:

1628061295186.png

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #5,608 of 10,126
I didn't know that you are a Kennerton fan. :)

Since 2016, and I bring my Kennerton headphone with me all over the world, attending many shows in Hong Kong, Singapore, US and Munich, including the very important NYC 2018 when I debut Cayin HA-300 tube headphone amplifier, and Munich High-end 2018 when I debut Cayin N8 DAP.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 4, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #5,609 of 10,126
As a recent Rognir devotee, can someone kindly provide a brief sense of how the Thror and Rognir compare in terms of timbre? I find myself ogling over the Thror Novel Curly Maple here. Dang.

Without also wishing to sound like a newborn zealot, after a day with my Rognir, returning to my other headphones there is something that sounds a bit off with them (with the exception of the IE900, curiously enough)...

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #5,610 of 10,126
As a recent Rognir devotee, can someone kindly provide a brief sense of how the Thror and Rognir compare in terms of timbre? I find myself ogling over the Thror Novel Curly Maple here. Dang.

Without also wishing to sound like a newborn zealot, after a day with my Rognir, returning to my other headphones there is something that sounds a bit off with them (with the exception of the IE900, curiously enough)...
+1

I would love an open version of Rögnir, with a similar tonality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back