Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 5, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #5,641 of 10,026
you may want to make the clamp force tighter fitting for the GH50- you can bend the headband in to adjust to ur head-this helps isolate and make dynamics get much much better like a light bulb going off its the ah ha moment for me.... as for the microphonic cable/band - I have since gotten the braided CLC3 wire (pic) and other custom wire for portable- the headband I had covered in some fabric like some other GH50 users- and then had Kennerton do the custom Rognir headband separately as an upgrade- it solved all that for me

11550823.jpg
Hi, John:

Yes, I did bend the headband per the instructions in the reviews and did notice a tighter fit and slight improvement in bass and dynamics. I will try an aftermarket cable and hopefully the microphonics will be at least attenuated to some degree. I will also look into the headband cover.

Haven't heard the regular Gjallarhorn GH50 but love the JM edition. I cannot see how someone would want a +4 db bass shelf with these phones but there is no arguing in matters of taste. Thanks for all that responded.

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #5,642 of 10,026
Hi, John:

Yes, I did bend the headband per the instructions in the reviews and did notice a tighter fit and slight improvement in bass and dynamics. I will try an aftermarket cable and hopefully the microphonics will be at least attenuated to some degree. I will also look into the headband cover.

Haven't heard the regular Gjallarhorn GH50 but love the JM edition. I cannot see how someone would want a +4 db bass shelf with these phones but there is no arguing in matters of taste. Thanks for all that responded.
for me the bass is super tight and faster on my changed JM Edition than original edition - the bass for me is very very quick- more not always best but accurate is for me anyway

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #5,643 of 10,026
I use the Kennerton cable, Arctic Cables Palladium Series (predecessor to the Opera Series), and Norne Audio Vykari with my Gjallarhorn JM Edition: great sound and no microphonics from the cable. I did address potential microphonics in the metallic outer headband. See the photograph below; your issue may stem from the outer headband. I used a headband cover bought on Amazon and a Dekoni nugget:66FF2340-9B93-48BD-9F5E-B6DCA5AC1F5F.jpeg
Could I ask which headband cover from Amazon you used? I looked on there are there are a multitude of models and none dedicated to Kennertons. Thank you.

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #5,644 of 10,026
Could I ask which headband cover from Amazon you used? I looked on there are there are a multitude of models and none dedicated to Kennertons. Thank you.
You can go to Amazon or to the Geekria site. The headband cover that I used is not “designated” as Kennerton but for a variety of headphones. It works on the Gjallarhorn JM Edition metal outer bands.
6469A60A-82F2-447F-A4A3-0EA87E501FAB.png
93F61077-99AA-4DF9-A4C2-C4AAF4EFAB5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #5,645 of 10,026
Great, thank you. Looks pretty simple.

Aug 5, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #5,646 of 10,026
Great, thank you. Looks pretty simple.
~ When you zip the cover over both metal outer headbands be patient and have the zipper side face downwards. Then, if you choose, put the Dekoni nugget (nuggets?) on the inner headband.
~ As you wear the Gjallarhorn, the inner and outer headbands will approach each other and the nugget (nuggets?) will provide additional damping.
~ With the cover+nugget, when wearing the Gjallarhorn, knocking the outer headband with the side of my thumb produces a flat non-resonant “thud”. Without the cover+nugget, the thumb knock produces a ringing sound.

Aug 5, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #5,647 of 10,026
Aug 6, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #5,649 of 10,026
Kennerton driver and Kennerton bag. Is the an OEM headphone from Kennerton ?

https://apos.audio/products/apos-caspian-headphone?sca_ref=437799.1pIW9B8scH
Yes, if you look at their creation story:
The Caspian was born out of a partnership between Apos; Sandu Vitalie, the founder and lead editor of SoundNews; and Valentin Kazanzhi, the CEO of Kennerton Audio. ... He reached out to Valentin, who understood our vision from the get-go, and came on board as our manufacturer.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #5,650 of 10,026
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #5,651 of 10,026
Thank you very much for your impressions and congratulations on your purchase, @Nostoi. How do you find them with metal music? I wonder if the not so impactful bass would make them not so suitable for that genre.

I'm also waiting for @John Massaria to receive his unit... Would you imagine, guys, a Rögnir JM edition? :wink: Maybe (and after reading @Nostoi impressions), John have nothing to improve on them :relieved:
Thanks, buddy. With metal, they are absolutely phenomenal. The bass on the Rognir is quick, punchy, and super tight. It's by no means lacking and plays very well with complex and aggressive metal with a meaty bottom end (I'm thinking of Megadeath's "Take No Prisoners"; Morbid Angel's "Where The Slime Lives"; Gojira's "Pray"). But it also plays very well with complex prog metal - Dream Theatre, Fates Warning, etc where's the a lot intricate stuff going in and where's it also recorded very well. To be honest, most of the metal I listen to is from 1982 to 1994 (and every sub-genre within that period from glam to grindcore), but much of the 7/8 string/detuned/djent newer metal probably pushes the Rognir's bass more than my era.

When I said earlier that the Rognir's bass isn't as viscerally impactful as the ZMF VC, I was really talking more about ambient/soundtracks. Things like the soundtrack to Blade Runner 2049 sound more expansive though less clean on the VC. There's a greater sense of "bloom" in the bass with the VC, and in general a much more weightier sense of body in the low end, but it's not as fast at the Rognir because of that. As I say, the Rognir and Vérité Closed make a great pair (and the VC is the only pair of headphones that doesn't sound "off" after I've been on a Rognir session).

But in short, certainly for metal - absolutely top notch.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #5,652 of 10,026
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #5,653 of 10,026
te.jpg
Beautiful design- Oval shaped open backs using the Kennerton 50mm graphene driver and Kennerton machined oak wood- Apos just sent me the links but no price - I hope it's under $999
The marketing blurb emphasized "fun tuning" several times and how the wood will be from easily accessible sources. Which leads me to think that this isn't trying to be some new "Summit Fi" product.

I agree it looks magnificent. Beautifully understated.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #5,654 of 10,026
Beautiful design- Oval shaped open backs using the Kennerton 50mm graphene driver and Kennerton machined oak wood- Apos just sent me the links but no price - I hope it's under $999
The marketing blurb emphasized "fun tuning" several times and how the wood will be from easily accessible sources. Which leads me to think that this isn't trying to be some new "Summit Fi" product.

I agree it looks magnificent. Beautifully understated.
A more fun & efficient alternative to the Valis? That would be cool and if that's the case would cover all the mid/lower tier end of Kennerton OEM wooden models.
Since we already have the Wodan/Gjallarhorn/Magni alternative version from LSA & Oleg Lohnes.

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #5,655 of 10,026
Thanks, buddy. With metal, they are absolutely phenomenal. The bass on the Rognir is quick, punchy, and super tight. It's by no means lacking and plays very well with complex and aggressive metal with a meaty bottom end (I'm thinking of Megadeath's "Take No Prisoners"; Morbid Angel's "Where The Slime Lives"; Gojira's "Pray"). But it also plays very well with complex prog metal - Dream Theatre, Fates Warning, etc where's the a lot intricate stuff going in and where's it also recorded very well. To be honest, most of the metal I listen to is from 1982 to 1994 (and every sub-genre within that period from glam to grindcore), but much of the 7/8 string/detuned/djent newer metal probably pushes the Rognir's bass more than my era.

When I said earlier that the Rognir's bass isn't as viscerally impactful as the ZMF VC, I was really talking more about ambient/soundtracks. Things like the soundtrack to Blade Runner 2049 sound more expansive though less clean on the VC. There's a greater sense of "bloom" in the bass with the VC, and in general a much more weightier sense of body in the low end, but it's not as fast at the Rognir because of that. As I say, the Rognir and Vérité Closed make a great pair (and the VC is the only pair of headphones that doesn't sound "off" after I've been on a Rognir session).

But in short, certainly for metal - absolutely top notch.
Thank you very much for your very detailed answer :beerchug: I'm again with the 9200s :L3000: (more of that tomorrow in it's thread :relaxed:) and right now listening to "Therion - Crowning of Atlantis". My favourite Therion song is "Clavicula Nox" (the original and the one included in this album) and I love how the 9200s manages it's bass but just want a little more impact, just a little... Now listening to "Thor The Powerhead - Manowar cover" from the same album and it's incredible how clean is the bass and the sub-bass and I don't find it thin at all. I referred to the 9200s because someone said in this thread, when trying the Rögnir, that the bass is a little thinner comparing to the 9200s bass. I think that also our friend @Malevolent commented something similar when he tried the Rögnir.

Anyway, I'm burn-ing again my 9200s... So maybe the bass will improve...

I've just found this Clavicula Nox version and I'm loving it:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back