Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 7, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #5,656 of 10,023
Thank you very much for your very detailed answer :beerchug: I'm again with the 9200s :L3000: (more of that tomorrow in it's thread :relaxed:) and right now listening to "Therion - Crowning of Atlantis". My favourite Therion song is "Clavicula Nox" (the original and the one included in this album) and I love how the 9200s manages it's bass but just want a little more impact, just a little... Now listening to "Thor The Powerhead - Manowar cover" from the same album and it's incredible how clean is the bass and the sub-bass and I don't find it thin at all. I referred to the 9200s because someone said in this thread, when trying the Rögnir, that the bass is a little thinner comparing to the 9200s bass. I think that also our friend @Malevolent commented something similar when he tried the Rögnir.

Anyway, I'm burn-ing again my 9200s... So maybe the bass will improve...

I've just found this Clavicula Nox version and I'm loving it:

Cheers, I just listened to the Manowar cover. As I've mentioned before, I'm a longstanding Manowar fan so this perked my interest. I like the cover. It's meaty and fat/phat. Sounds very good on the Rognir, the tom tom drums on the pre-chorus are especially majestic. Check out Arch Enemy's cover of "Kill With Power" for a similar test. And also Fear Factory's cover of "Cars." The Rognir conveys the bass on this track very well. Comparing with my TH900, which is beside me, there's a little more snap on the sub-bass region, but every other region is impoverished next to the Rognir (off-topic, but I've come to the conclusion that the TH900 really aren't great for metal). On the ZMF VC - again with FF's cover of "Cars" - probably the best of both worlds in some sense; the low end is meaty and substantial though much softer than the Rognir.
Sadly, I've never tried the 9200, though of course as you say @Malevolent knows it inside out. It's on my list :gs1000smile: I would say, though, the Rognir take some time to get used to and likewise returning to another headphones takes a moment of adjustment. There is a clarity to the Rognir that might sound lacking compared to super lush/warm headphones, but this is misleading, I think, once you settle in.

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #5,657 of 10,023
Thank you very much for your very detailed answer :beerchug: I'm again with the 9200s :L3000: (more of that tomorrow in it's thread :relaxed:) and right now listening to "Therion - Crowning of Atlantis". My favourite Therion song is "Clavicula Nox" (the original and the one included in this album) and I love how the 9200s manages it's bass but just want a little more impact, just a little... Now listening to "Thor The Powerhead - Manowar cover" from the same album and it's incredible how clean is the bass and the sub-bass and I don't find it thin at all. I referred to the 9200s because someone said in this thread, when trying the Rögnir, that the bass is a little thinner comparing to the 9200s bass. I think that also our friend @Malevolent commented something similar when he tried the Rögnir.

Cheers, I just listened to the Manowar cover. As I've mentioned before, I'm a longstanding Manowar fan so this perked my interest. I like the cover. It's meaty and fat/phat. Sounds very good on the Rognir, the tom tom drums on the pre-chorus are especially majestic. Check out Arch Enemy's cover of "Kill With Power" for a similar test. And also Fear Factory's cover of "Cars." The Rognir conveys the bass on this track very well. Comparing with my TH900, which is beside me, there's a little more snap on the sub-bass region, but every other region is impoverished next to the Rognir (off-topic, but I've come to the conclusion that the TH900 really aren't great for metal). On the ZMF VC - again with FF's cover of "Cars" - probably the best of both worlds in some sense; the low end is meaty and substantial though much softer than the Rognir.
Sadly, I've never tried the 9200, though of course as you say @Malevolent knows it inside out. It's on my list :gs1000smile: I would say, though, the Rognir take some time to get used to and likewise returning to another headphones takes a moment of adjustment. There is a clarity to the Rognir that might sound lacking compared to super lush/warm headphones, but this is misleading, I think, once you settle in.
To be very honest, as much as I enjoy the Rögnir, the bass on the AH-D9200 is simply too addictive to ignore. Nevertheless, in terms of sheer resolving ability, there are few closed-back headphones that are the Rögnir's equal in detail retrieval. With that being said, the Denon and the Rögnir are not fighting within the same space, IMO; their presentations and signatures differ markedly. The AH-D9200 is definitely more musical, more "toe tapping", and has the grander bass section. The Rögnir is more balanced, has better technicalities, but also less involving or engaging, at least from my perspective.

Thus, would I trade my AH-D9200 for the Rögnir? Well, no, I'd miss the Denon's sound far too much.

However, would I buy the Rögnir to serve as a complement to the AH-D9200? Why, yes, that's the correct question. :)

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #5,658 of 10,023
To be very honest, as much as I enjoy the Rögnir, the bass on the AH-D9200 is simply too addictive to ignore. Nevertheless, in terms of sheer resolving ability, there are few closed-back headphones that are the Rögnir's equal in detail retrieval. With that being said, the Denon and the Rögnir are not fighting within the same space, IMO; their presentations and signatures differ markedly. The AH-D9200 is definitely more musical, more "toe tapping", and has the grander bass section. The Rögnir is more balanced, has better technicalities, but also less involving or engaging, at least from my perspective.

Thus, would I trade my AH-D9200 for the Rögnir? Well, no, I'd miss the Denon's sound far too much.

However, would I buy the Rögnir to serve as a complement to the AH-D9200? Why, yes, that's the correct question. :)
I have both Rögnir and D9200 and agree with your comments. Rögnir is technically a level up from D9200 and D9200 is a more fun signature. Rögnir has a deeper stage and better separation, very close to an open back. Bass has less punch but better detail. Mind you, I love the D9200 (HeadFi is full of my praise on them) but with Rögnir, I rarely miss an open back. Rögnir can also do the bass, and all it takes is a little bit of an EQ, which is why I am selling the D9200 now. I frankly don't miss the D9200 bass, but that is of course a personal choice.

Aug 7, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #5,660 of 10,023
AEFF6264-5058-4003-9188-E99E1BD2F4F9.jpeg

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #5,662 of 10,023

About that manowar cover: the best they did was this one at the Live Gothic tour (imo ofc :p)

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #5,663 of 10,023
I love the Therion of that time (Secrets of the runes - Lemuria - Sirius B - Gothic Kabbalah) having extreme highs like these two; my 2 personal favourites of the band

and

Therion rose high but unfortunately also fell deep

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #5,664 of 10,023
Aug 7, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #5,665 of 10,023
For a moment there thought I saw an updated profile pic....sooo...3 for 3? haha jkjk
Yes I took it incredible risk and updated the picture LOL

Aug 8, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #5,667 of 10,023
What a coincident .... I haven't looked at this thread for several days and coming back just now ... while listening to Therion's "From the Dionysian Days" from the Crowing of Atlantis album with my Kennerton Odin Mk2 (with ECL-02 pads)

DSC_8597.jpg

Oh, "From the Dionysian Days" is my favorite song from that album by the way :)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #5,668 of 10,023
listening more and more to the original mod I did on GH50 that I have since done more revisions to and wow... its slightly different than the production GH50JM- more bass and more defintion in the higher notes - I am going to keep adjusting the mod- for now this sounds better than ever - love this hobby

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #5,669 of 10,023
Dang, you're brave. I have a toddler myself and would *never* let him get that close to mine!
I tested with cheap headphones first LOL. For some reason he just likes to have them on and he Has never tried to touch them….which is amazing to me! He is obviously under careful supervision just in case lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back