Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 3, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3,931 of 10,033
Regarding amping for the Gjallarhorn, my experience with the HP-2 is that they seem to respond well to most amps I've tried. As has been pointed out, since they are very low impedance and very transparent on my tube amp you definitely hear a great deal of background so that is my least favorite parring. The warmer SS amps I've tried tend to be my preference since the HP-2 can sound a little dry to my.

I've had a lot of luck pairing them with a little Chord Mojo which represents excellent value for dollar (especially if you pick up a used one for $300-ish).

+1 on Yazz Ahmed. Lots of great jazz coming out of the UK, Chicago, and LA these days. A few on my shortlist include:

Matthew Halsall
GoGo Penguin
Makaya McCraven
Alabaster DePlume

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #3,932 of 10,033
D: sdrawkcab epyt em ekam taht gub emos tog I .tsrif a si sihT

Fixed it! tube amps do seem to be really sensitive to power delivery. My Trafomatic Audio head one is very silent but I have to connect it to a separate power outlet or it do funky stuff. I got a lot of things going so put a lot of noise through my main one though so understandable :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #3,933 of 10,033
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #3,934 of 10,033
+1 on Yazz Ahmed. Lots of great jazz coming out of the UK, Chicago, and LA these days. A few on my shortlist include:

Matthew Halsall
GoGo Penguin
Makaya McCraven
Alabaster DePlume

Nice! I've found the jazz fans thread :)

I'll throw a couple names out there . . .
Ambrose Akinmusire
Sons Of Kemet
Jazzmeia Horn

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #3,935 of 10,033
Nice! I've found the jazz fans thread :)

I'll throw a couple names out there . . .
Ambrose Akinmusire
Sons Of Kemet
Jazzmeia Horn
I love Ambrose Akinmusire as well, I actually mentioned one of his albums in my JM horns review :wink: ! Sons of Kemet are very energetic and funny to listen to too! I did not know Jazzmeia Horn so I'll have to check it out.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #3,936 of 10,033
Anyone know if EC-01 pads will alter the original tuning of Gjallarhorn JM Edition too much ?

0.1) Kennerton ECL-01 - Mist Green.jpg

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #3,937 of 10,033
Anyone know if EC-01 pads will alter the original tuning of Gjallarhorn JM Edition too much ?

0.1) Kennerton ECL-01 - Mist Green.jpg
They aren’t really ideal in my opinion since they are designed for open backs and add air in and out of seal of gh50
But you could always try
I tried Dekoni hybrid elites and had to heavily modify them to get best sound over stock ear pads Kennerton supply’s to come close but they can work - it’s all about the seal with gh50 and your head of course :)

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,938 of 10,033

I tried the EC-01 and 02 pads and a couple of ZMF and Dekoni I had on the HP-2. Nothing really fit well or seemed to positively improve the sound. Now that the pads have broken in and my clamp has been correctly adjusted sound and comfort are both good.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #3,940 of 10,033
I tried the EC-01 and 02 pads and a couple of ZMF and Dekoni I had on the HP-2. Nothing really fit well or seemed to positively improve the sound. Now that the pads have broken in and my clamp has been correctly adjusted sound and comfort are both good.

What zmf pads did you try? I’ve got ori pads on my lsa hp-2 and I’m enjoying the sound much more than the dekoni choice leather plus the thickness of the ori pads and memory foam give me a better seal than stock without the headband bend. It’s only been a few days but I’m not hearing anything too egregious.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #3,942 of 10,033
Tried some Auteur perf and Verite suede that I had on hand. Also the Dekoni fenestrated elite sheepskin. It was a pretty quick test early on. Might need to revisit. Since ZMF rates the Ori as warm that might be a nice pairing with the HP-2. Thanks!

Yeah I used ori sheepskin to be clear. Would love for someone to tell me I’m not crazy or maybe I am.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,943 of 10,033
Yeah I used ori sheepskin to be clear. Would love for someone to tell me I’m not crazy or maybe I am.
The Ori sheepskin are actually pretty similar to stock JM Gjallarhorn, which have been upgraded from normal Gjallarhorn. That means I love them so there you have my answer.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #3,944 of 10,033
Is the roulette discount wheel thingy on Kennerton homepage pretty infrequent ? The sale came and went while I was waiting on an answer on something on JM cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back