Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 29, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #3,662 of 10,126
Not liking the Topping L30 with my LSA HP-2. My Topping MX3 (which has worse measurements) is actually more fun and engaging to listen to when connected to Topping E30. Could it be because it's a power amp?

There is more energy and liveliness, treble is not muted even though it is sharp, wider soundstage and does not sound like it's muffled by cotton. It is quite a difference going back to it. The stringed instruments at the start of DMB's "Satellite" do not tingle your nerves on L30 like they do on MX3, they're just recessed sounding.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #3,663 of 10,126
Anybody know how the felts are attached on the JM edition? If it´s easy to remove the ear pads and the felt? Wont touch it for a while but may want to remove it in the future if I want more reverb, more imaging.

No plans in the near future but far future perhaps :)

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #3,665 of 10,126
Not liking the Topping L30 with my LSA HP-2. My Topping MX3 (which has worse measurements) is actually more fun and engaging to listen to when connected to Topping E30. Could it be because it's a power amp?

There is more energy and liveliness, treble is not muted even though it is sharp, wider soundstage and does not sound like it's muffled by cotton. It is quite a difference going back to it. The stringed instruments at the start of DMB's "Satellite" do not tingle your nerves on L30 like they do on MX3, they're just recessed sounding.

This is kinda the feeling i get on my schiit heresy. It was muffled and lacked energy. With some EQ its gorgeous!

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #3,668 of 10,126
What have you heard that you prefer over the Stor?
Final Audio Sonorous II
Monoprice M1060
Audeze LCD 2
Lots of Grados

I would put them about on par with my Beyer DT990s. Which I still really like but get overshadowed because I keep buying more headphones 😁

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #3,669 of 10,126
Final Audio Sonorous II
Monoprice M1060
Audeze LCD 2
Lots of Grados

I would put them about on par with my Beyer DT990s. Which I still really like but get overshadowed because I keep buying more headphones 😁
Ha, so true, same here - the Headphone / IEM corral never fills up - there's always room for one more. :)

I've "completed" my collection of Beyerdynamic Headphones for now - DT770 (16 ohm), DT880 (250 ohm), DT880 (600 ohm), DT 990 (600 ohm), and if it hadn't been for flaky BT connection developed later in the 30 day trial the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless Copper would have been my daily driver - it still might be if I can get a "good BT unit". I do like the Beyerdynamic Sound.

I was looking at Kennerton models and I ran across the Stor story and thought they were a good deal at $393 - demo unit refurbished + $200 for a crafted Litz 1.5m cable (2x-mini-xlr to 4-pin XLR) from Kennerton ebay, and I figured the sound would be just about where you have characterized it.

Given all the other Kennerton headphones are much more expensive I had no illusion it was going to be a Magni, GJALLARHORN, Vali class sound, but I thought it would be a nice set given FA-011 Fischer / Kennerton long history + Vali wood cups + Kennerton tuning - with better sound than most of the headphones I do have, or can afford.

Then I ran across the Underwood Hifi and Kennerton models, which do bring into affordability Kennerton's Magni, GJALLARHORN, Odin sound.

I still think the Stor is still a good acquisition even after discovering the LSA HP-2 Ultra / LSA HP-3 Nova...what do you all think headphone choice-wise?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #3,670 of 10,126
Should have it tomorrow
GH50 in the house. Had to run at the lorry she tried to escape. Dunno said she used the ring bell. Didn´t hear anything but I was wearing headphones but I have a loud door bell. But can be finicky so ok. I got a call and answered in a split second but got no response. then I on a whim quickly walked to the door and saw a truck outside :)

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #3,671 of 10,126
Ha, so true, same here - the Headphone / IEM corral never fills up - there's always room for one more. :)

I've "completed" my collection of Beyerdynamic Headphones for now - DT770 (16 ohm), DT880 (250 ohm), DT880 (600 ohm), DT 990 (600 ohm), and if it hadn't been for flaky BT connection developed later in the 30 day trial the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless Copper would have been my daily driver - it still might be if I can get a "good BT unit". I do like the Beyerdynamic Sound.

I was looking at Kennerton models and I ran across the Stor story and thought they were a good deal at $393 - demo unit refurbished + $200 for a crafted Litz 1.5m cable (2x-mini-xlr to 4-pin XLR) from Kennerton ebay, and I figured the sound would be just about where you have characterized it.

Given all the other Kennerton headphones are much more expensive I had no illusion it was going to be a Magni, GJALLARHORN, Vali class sound, but I thought it would be a nice set given FA-011 Fischer / Kennerton long history + Vali wood cups + Kennerton tuning - with better sound than most of the headphones I do have, or can afford.

Then I ran across the Underwood Hifi and Kennerton models, which do bring into affordability Kennerton's Magni, GJALLARHORN, Odin sound.

I still think the Stor is still a good acquisition even after discovering the LSA HP-2 Ultra / LSA HP-3 Nova...what do you all think headphone choice-wise?

If you're really into Beyers, you will probably like the Stor a lot. To me they're almost indistinguishable from my Dt990 --- same "warm" V shaped profile, and a comparable level of detail. One might argue that you've already got that angle covered. (As I type this I am testing out yet another pair of limited edition Grados . . . so I get it :).

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #3,673 of 10,126
LSA HP-3 Nova (Kennerton Magni) at $599 USD is an absolute steal. It's grand larceny by the consumer. The cable, leather bag and pure lambskin earpads are over $100 together by themselves. This isn't a plastic headphone, so add in more costs to the wood cups and steel headband. We haven't even added in the cost of the high quality graphene membrane driver or the labor to put it all together (soldering, carving, stitching of earpads, painting of cups, tuning and measurements, etc.)

I don't think people are aware of how the Magni sounds. They may have this idea that it sounds like an alternative or slightly better than the HD 6XX series/Sundara or even DT1990. I don't think people realize it's sound quality is way above that tier.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #3,674 of 10,126
Magni is a total beast :)

First impressions of the GH-50. Much better sleeving on the cable then my rev1 magni. But still so short :frowning2:
Design of the ear cups also looks way more premium. Appear smaller but maybe just the round shape.

GH-50 do struggle a bit. The fit is the main "problem" though it sounds way better for my preferences when really pushing it against the head and maybe hold the back so you close the ports as well. Never heard a headphone that benefits so much from that. It just sounds distant and dry with no extra push. Magni don´t benefit as much but still yeah I will gonna have to bend the headband on it now after hearing this.

It bring singers and overall midrange more forward in the mix more like my magni. Sub bass level and treble extension seem to be about the same on their own on my old ears. My Trafomatic Audio Head One help it a bit getting more body versus the more dead neutral RME ADI-2 amp but so far Magni is just holding its own in every genre I try.
Pad breakin will certainly help the GH-50 but burnin better be real for it to stand a chance.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #3,675 of 10,126
Magni is a total beast :)

First impressions of the GH-50. Much better sleeving on the cable then my rev1 magni. But still so short :frowning2:
Design of the ear cups also looks way more premium. Appear smaller but maybe just the round shape.

GH-50 do struggle a bit. The fit is the main "problem" though it sounds way better for my preferences when really pushing it against the head and maybe hold the back so you close the ports as well. Never heard a headphone that benefits so much from that. It just sounds distant and dry with no extra push. Magni don´t benefit as much but still yeah I will gonna have to bend the headband on it now after hearing this.

It bring singers and overall midrange more forward in the mix more like my magni. Sub bass level and treble extension seem to be about the same on their own on my old ears. My Trafomatic Audio Head One help it a bit getting more body versus the more dead neutral RME ADI-2 amp but so far Magni is just holding its own in every genre I try.
Pad breakin will certainly help the GH-50 but burnin better be real for it to stand a chance.

Yeah when I first got mine I had the same feelings as you. With no clamp force it basically sounded like everything was super far away distant almost like listening to a tin can. When i pressed them too close to my ears, it made everything to boxy and underwater sounding and was too tight, but everything sounded much better. Once i found a good in between, I fixed the rest with EQ and they are awesome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back