Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 12, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #3,512 of 10,125
So happy for you John, which cable (blue) are you using ?
thanks man- very excited too!
about the blue cable you see the Kennerton CLC-02 in the picture- very nice sound- a bit more detail than stock
CLC-02

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3,513 of 10,125
Glad you like the Apache, it is a great piece of equipment not only as a headphone amplifier but also as a preamp if you are into 2 channel systems.

The only words of wisdom I would give you is if you use the single ended connection, don't use Cardas or any other of the giant 6.3mm plugs as they are just a tag large and over time, it may cause you to have to reset the ground inside the unit. With balance, never any worries.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,514 of 10,125
I just ordered some cables for the seperate left and right XLR channels on Apache for my Kennerton headphones both mini xlr and trs 3.5 - but at the same time I just returned the Apache back to Ray for some check ups on preamp functionality.
Untiteled.jpg

It had issues with loud thump when switching over to speaker/preamp- even when muted and I had volume turned down to zero. The next issue was the preamp on both balanced XLR inputs 1 and 2 - they are making distortion when playing music, no issue with RCA input 3 and 4. Issue 3 was volume makes preamp to speakers sound like it has major oscillation noises at each turn of the volume knob. Hopefully its an easy fix. The previous owner never used the preamp- so he claims he had no idea. I'm sure Ray will fix them all. From what I know of him he is obsessed with quality and I never heard of such issues. I had the Topping A90 and never had noise when using it as preamp or switching over to hp amp. With the Apache I tried all sorts of RCA cables, xlr etc. I turned off/disconnected all equipment like DAC and monitor and nuty whirly sounds in the volume knob still occur with preamp only and distortion still percisists. Beleive me I love the Apache headphone amp part but the preamp is in need of some attention big time. Hopefully Ray will get back with me soon. I also returned my Thekks for complete check up for the small amount of plastic crackling in planar drivers I heard when initally testing headphones for a week. Both companys I know stand behind their stuff... we will see if all is well after the fixes. I still have my beloved PASS whammy and I do love it... and my never gonna part with GH50's (modded)- so I can still enjoy the music... thanks for hearing me out on this... enjoying music always is our way huh?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,515 of 10,125
thumbnail.jpg

Good news on cable from Kennerton based on the CLC4 - these were just made custom by Valentin for Ray Samuels Apache- so there is that to look forward to - now I just need all my gear back lol
I love Valentin from Fischer Audio he is so awesome and colorful in his emails- so passionate!
I hope he gets so busy he can let others do some of the really mundane stuff like talking with me... ah wait a minute I like our emails... scratch that- I hope he gets the recognition he deserves for running such an awesome company. For anyone without pride of ownership of Kennerton- you will never know until you know. Very satisfied!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #3,516 of 10,125
I just ordered some cables for the seperate left and right XLR channels on Apache for my Kennerton headphones both mini xlr and trs 3.5 - but at the same time I just returned the Apache back to Ray for some check ups on preamp functionality. Untiteled.jpg
It had issues with loud thump when switching over to speaker/preamp- even when muted and I had volume turned down to zero. The next issue was the preamp on both balanced XLR inputs 1 and 2 - they are making distortion when playing music, no issue with RCA input 3 and 4. Issue 3 was volume makes preamp to speakers sound like it has major oscillation noises at each turn of the volume knob. Hopefully its an easy fix. The previous owner never used the preamp- so he claims he had no idea. I'm sure Ray will fix them all. From what I know of him he is obsessed with quality and I never heard of such issues. I had the Topping A90 and never had noise when using it as preamp or switching over to hp amp. With the Apache I tried all sorts of RCA cables, xlr etc. I turned off/disconnected all equipment like DAC and monitor and nuty whirly sounds in the volume knob still occur with preamp only and distortion still percisists. Beleive me I love the Apache headphone amp part but the preamp is in need of some attention big time. Hopefully Ray will get back with me soon. I also returned my Thekks for complete check up for the small amount of plastic crackling in planar drivers I heard when initally testing headphones for a week. Both companys I know stand behind their stuff... we will see if all is well after the fixes. I still have my beloved PASS whammy and I do love it... and my never gonna part with GH50's (modded)- so I can still enjoy the music... thanks for hearing me out on this... enjoying music always is our way huh?

So what source are you using, is it the Topping D90?

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #3,517 of 10,125
So what source are you using, is it the Topping D90?
Yes ToppingD90 which has zero issues with my A90 and my Pass WHAMMY Class A, ---
I use COAX, USB and Toslink (CD Player, Computer, TV Out in that order)- all connected to D90.
My amp is a Jamo 300 Watt Class AB driving Jamo Subwoofer with custom SEAS Monitors double stacked- based on 4 Kinoshita Monitor Rey audio KM1V 2 stacked on top of each other per side for clients that stand to listen to track while I mix for video.
my XLR cable review with A90 https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/capistranocables-xlr-cables.24634/

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #3,518 of 10,125
Tonight I listened to '101' by Depeche Mode. A live registration with a mix to die for.
What an amazing journey did the Vali 2019 take me on! The beauty of these headphones is that they can make a very good recording sound amazing with perfect imaging and positioning. I actually felt I was back there (though I have never seen Depeche Mode live :)), in the crowd, it sounded life like.

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #3,519 of 10,125
hi everyone, i have the vali first edition, i was wondering if someone can recommend other pads that have bigger opening. It is so strange when i tried to place audeze pads using double tape, i lost alot in detail and bass was a mess but soundstage was wow with audeze pads

i am really interested in the thekk, but the headband pad design that is attached like that which pulls up and down is not for me, i tried headphones that have similar design and i do not like such designed headband pads, but that is a personal thing

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #3,520 of 10,125
Tonight I listened to '101' by Depeche Mode. A live registration with a mix to die for.
What an amazing journey did the Vali 2019 take me on! The beauty of these headphones is that they can make a very good recording sound amazing with perfect imaging and positioning. I actually felt I was back there (though I have never seen Depeche Mode live :)), in the crowd, it sounded life like.
a fan of DM :)

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #3,522 of 10,125
hi everyone, i have the vali first edition, i was wondering if someone can recommend other pads that have bigger opening. It is so strange when i tried to place audeze pads using double tape, i lost alot in detail and bass was a mess but soundstage was wow with audeze pads

i am really interested in the thekk, but the headband pad design that is attached like that which pulls up and down is not for me, i tried headphones that have similar design and i do not like such designed headband pads, but that is a personal thing
https://vesperaudio.com/earpads
I just found this company
Leaps and bounds better than any ear pad company - will make you anything custom-

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #3,523 of 10,125
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #3,524 of 10,125
so which ear pads will be improve sound compared to stock pad assuming changing pads will improve things
For my Kennertons I use stock since Dekoni pads cant really sound the same- my advise is ask Val - he always says same thing- "our pads sound best"- but I will say after finding the Vesper Pads for my STAX headphones- I do believe they can make anything happen- and reasonable for custom one at a time pads

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #3,525 of 10,125
For my Kennertons I use stock since Dekoni pads cant really sound the same- my advise is ask Val - he always says same thing- "our pads sound best"- but I will say after finding the Vesper Pads for my STAX headphones- I do believe they can make anything happen- and reasonable for custom one at a time pads
i thought maybe someone tried after market pads with vali, as i did try after market pads with denon 9200 and nothing works like stock pads at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back