Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 26, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #2,881 of 10,023
Upcoming Gjallarhorn has a tasteful and engaging sound. Very powerfull bass and forwarded mids. Something like LCD2 from your collection I guess. With outstanding noise isolation by the way.

if you want a more balanced and thoroughbred sound then Thekk or Wodan. They are awesome. But your Thridi has the same level
To be honest I am more than happy with Thridi. Sounds perfect to me! Was considering Vali because I may be able to purchase quite cheap here in New Zealand.
Cheers

May 26, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #2,882 of 10,023
May 26, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2,884 of 10,023
Then save the money, that's good too :)
Hey, in your opinion, do these Thridi, Thror etc compare well with the other flagships like Empy, Utopia etc??

May 26, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #2,885 of 10,023
Hey, in your opinion, do these Thridi, Thror etc compare well with the other flagships like Empy, Utopia etc??

Unfortunately I did not listen to other flagships

I can only say that I listened to Denon 9200 and LCD-X and they lost to my Thekk. 9200 has also balanced and smooth sound, high sound quality etc. And LCD-X simply has a lower SQ level

May 26, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #2,886 of 10,023
Unfortunately I did not listen to other flagships

I can only say that I listened to Denon 9200 and LCD-X and they lost to my Thekk. 9200 has also balanced and smooth sound, high sound quality etc. And LCD-X simply has a lower SQ level
I feel the same way comparing Thridi to LCD2 and Aeon Open, as well as my other cheaper headphones.Thanks for your feedback! Cheers.

May 26, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #2,887 of 10,023
Personally, I love the Vali. (original version). Overall, it's probably my favorite headphone (and you can see the competition it's up against in my headphone inventory). It's not perfect, and I wouldn't want it as my only headphone. I wouldn't even recommend the Vali to everyone. But what it does well, it does so...damn...good. It's the best Rock headphone I've ever had, or even ever heard. It fits my sonic preferences almost perfectly: rich tonal density, fantastic punchy bass, dynamic, low-distortion clarity and--smooth top end. No treble offensiveness here. And yet still detailed. It's both non-fatiguing/easy to listen to and exciting at the same time. And the build is fantastic of course.

Is it the best Kennerton headphone? No, I wouldn't say that. Because it depends on what your sonic priorities/preferences are. I listen to a lot of Classical for instance, and I don't use the Vali for that. But for other, more electric musics, the Vali is awesome. Enjoy the variety!

May 26, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #2,888 of 10,023
Personally, I love the Vali. (original version). Overall, it's probably my favorite headphone (and you can see the competition it's up against in my headphone inventory). It's not perfect, and I wouldn't want it as my only headphone. I wouldn't even recommend the Vali to everyone. But what it does well, it does so...damn...good. It's the best Rock headphone I've ever had, or even ever heard. It fits my sonic preferences almost perfectly: rich tonal density, fantastic punchy bass, dynamic, low-distortion clarity and--smooth top end. No treble offensiveness here. And yet still detailed. It's both non-fatiguing/easy to listen to and exciting at the same time. And the build is fantastic of course.

Is it the best Kennerton headphone? No, I wouldn't say that. Because it depends on what your sonic priorities/preferences are. I listen to a lot of Classical for instance, and I don't use the Vali for that. But for other, more electric musics, the Vali is awesome. Enjoy the variety!
Thanks Arcamera!
I listen to classic rock and blues mainly. What would you say is the closest headphone that sounds like Vali...if there is one?

I love Thridi, but when I listen to HD6XX I'm often blown away at how good they sound!

Cheers

May 26, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #2,890 of 10,023
I listen to classic rock and blues mainly. What would you say is the closest headphone that sounds like Vali...if there is one?

Actually, the only thing from my experience would be: the old Grado HP1000. I think I'd still take the Vali though. And while not sounding the same, but perhaps with the same kind of spirit would be the LCD2 Classic. Both have a smooth top, rich sounding, good mids, full bass, easy to drive. There's a certain immediacy or liveliness with the Vali though, that's not for everyone. A very forward kind of presentation. Someone here a while ago described as almost too intense for their listening comfort. Just fine with me, but it will vary with everyone.

May 26, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,891 of 10,023

Eric and others here could speak more to this, as I only own the Vali (x2), the Odin (x2), and the Thekk. But for instance, I used to own the Focal Utopia, and I traded it for another Odin. I think the Meze Empyrean is great though. Overall, as an all-rounder I think the Empyrean is the best I've heard. (Opinions will differ on the Empy though here :)) All to say Kennerton definitely competes with other high-end offerings.

May 27, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #2,892 of 10,023
Eric and others here could speak more to this, as I only own the Vali (x2), the Odin (x2), and the Thekk. But for instance, I used to own the Focal Utopia, and I traded it for another Odin. I think the Meze Empyrean is great though. Overall, as an all-rounder I think the Empyrean is the best I've heard. (Opinions will differ on the Empy though here :)) All to say Kennerton definitely competes with other high-end offerings.
Wow, you preferred the Odin to Utopia! I guess the Utopia was too bright or clinical? I love Thridi sound signature. I've only had my LCD2 rev 2 non fazor for a couple of months now but realise this is the sound I like the most. This is why I purchased Thridi. I guess you like the more laid back sound of Oden more huh?

May 27, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #2,893 of 10,023
Actually, the only thing from my experience would be: the old Grado HP1000. I think I'd still take the Vali though. And while not sounding the same, but perhaps with the same kind of spirit would be the LCD2 Classic. Both have a smooth top, rich sounding, good mids, full bass, easy to drive. There's a certain immediacy or liveliness with the Vali though, that's not for everyone. A very forward kind of presentation. Someone here a while ago described as almost too intense for their listening comfort. Just fine with me, but it will vary with everyone.
I like what you say about Vali. Enjoyment in this hobby isn't always about technicalities, details etc. Cheers.

May 27, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #2,894 of 10,023
I like what you say about Vali. Enjoyment in this hobby isn't always about technicalities, details etc. Cheers.

Hi all.

Hi Andrew (@Arcamera) :)

To fully enjoy Rock music, you don't need the most technical and resolute headphones; a very dynamic, visceral, lively sound, not aggressive in the high frequencies is very well suited for this kind of music.
In this genre (Rock), the Vali and the Odin work very well.
The Odin is more resolute than the Vali, but a little more incisive and present in the high frequencies.

You can review below my comparative analogy in image of several headphones with different resolution (note: zoom in on the image to appreciate its full resolution), as well as the difference in saturation/color of the sound/image.

If one were to add the Thekk, the Thekk would be at the same "4K" resolution level as the Thror (Tror on the picture), but with a higher color/sound saturation (color density), intermediate between that of the Odin and the Thror.

20052711115723553816813926.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back