Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 21, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #2,851 of 10,023
Pleasure!
Where are you located? Should you ever come to Dunedin, you can try the HD800S for yourself.
Beats anyone‘s description...
Haha I'd love to. Spent some time in Dunedin years ago. What a beautiful place! I'm in Gisborne.

May 21, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #2,852 of 10,023
Gisborne...too hot!

May 22, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #2,853 of 10,023
Well, these Thridi headphones sound awfully similar to LCD2.2 pre fazor (unicorns)...in timbre atleast.

Relative to the Audeze I would say the Thridi has a db or 2 more treble and almost identical bass quantity.

Clarity and separation is a fair bit better with Thridi on some recordings...and less noticeable but still better on all recordings. The clarity is there from the top to the bottom.

Tonally (Timbre) this headphone seems perfect to me. Mids are very clear with ever so slight warmth...but no apparent fuzz (veil) like HD6XX. A bit of warmth and fuzz sounds nice though huh. LCD2.2 pre has ever so slight fuzz too...and sounds fantastic in my opinion.

I expect Thridi to be the endgame (Buahahaha) headphone for me...atleast for a fair while. My journey will take me to tubes next! Damn that will hurt $$$. Lol

May 22, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #2,856 of 10,023
Morning, everyone.

So don't listen to the Kennerton Thekk (so as not to hurt your finances).

Thekk can be seen as an improved version of the Thridi (in more airy, more precise and tonally very accurate). Some people describe it for the tone as a super HD-650, better at everything.
Hmmm... I never fancied the 650 - for me it was too much of an inverted U, all mids with no bass and no treble, so I am not sure how to judge the “super HD-650” description...

I am aware that statement could have me deported from Audiophiledom, so please keep it between us...!

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,857 of 10,023
Hmmm... I never fancied the 650 - for me it was too much of an inverted U, all mids with no bass and no treble, so I am not sure how to judge the “super HD-650” description...

I am aware that statement could have me deported from Audiophiledom, so please keep it between us...!

Hi.

I was thinking of the HD-650 for its full and engaging sound, non-aggressive in the treble, without that bump in the high-midrange present with the HD-600, a bit like evoked in this FR curve of the HD-650 (old generation, 2014).

20052210152023553816807603.jpg

HD-650 FR

Except that the Thekk is much more transparent, detailed and airy, with probably more treble and sub-bass than the HD-650.
Finer and more detailed sound, better textured in the bass and less grainy.

May 22, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #2,858 of 10,023
It's my understanding that the Thekk, Thror and Thridi all share the same membrane and magnet structure with just the supporting plate being steel vs carbon (thekk, thror).

So are they just tuned differently?

May 22, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #2,859 of 10,023
It's my understanding that the Thekk, Thror and Thridi all share the same membrane and magnet structure with just the supporting plate being steel vs carbon (thekk, thror).

So are they just tuned differently?

The Thekk and the Thror with their carbon frame are more "technical" than the Odin Thridi, with a cleaner and better defined sound, and also more airy.

But the Thekk sounds very different from the Thror, despite sharing the same high-end driver in appearance.

The settings between the Thekk and the Thror are therefore different; the Thekk would even be the revision of the Thror requested for a studio for professional use.

The Thror is however straighter and clearer (colourless) than the Thekk.

Thekk is just as technical as the Thror, but with a fuller, denser sound, more engaging, with more flavor and body (for string instruments) and with more bass than the Thror.

Thekk would be more in the philosophy of the HD-650, while the Thror would be more in the philosophy of the HD-600, with a bit more upper-mids (which is for me felt like a coloration).

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #2,860 of 10,023
The Thekk and the Thror with their carbon frame are more "technical" than the Odin Thridi, with a cleaner and better defined sound, and also more airy.

But the Thekk sounds very different from the Thror, despite sharing the same high-end driver in appearance.

The settings between the Thekk and the Thror are therefore different; the Thekk would even be the revision of the Thror requested for a studio for professional use.

Thekk is just as technical as the Thror, but with a fuller, denser sound, more engaging, with more flavor and body (for string instruments) and with more bass than the Thror.

Thekk would be more in the philosophy of the HD-650, while the Thror would be more in the philosophy of the HD-600, with a bit more upper-mids (which is for me felt like a coloration).
Hi there,

I see that you purchased the original Odin some time ago. Do you still own it or have you upgraded?

Cheers

May 23, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #2,861 of 10,023

Hi.

I still own the original Odin mk2 (with even the first version of earpads called "V1" (with small holes) with its sublime lacquered Karelia birch wood (natural color).

You can see it here, on the right, on the picture I just took this morning (in France).

20052307161223553816807835.jpg

This headphones Odin mk2 are very heavy (compared to the Thekk and Thror) and goes very well with my tube amp Viva 2A3 (in the picture), just like the Thekk and Thror, by the way.

The sound of the Odin mk2 is close to that of the Odin Thridi (which I've been able to try) with maybe a bit more treble than the Thridi (and the Thekk), but it treble is much less fine, more grainy and irregular than the Thekk.

The Odin mk2 is magical for listening to electric guitar for Rock, with a very saturated, warm, very euphonic sound (especially with this tube amp); but the sound is even truer, sharper and more detailed, while remaining pleasant, full and complete, with the Thekk that I prefer in the end for listening to all kinds of music.

I also have the Thror headphones (made of bog oak for the cups), but it is currently with my eldest son for his piano compositions via the MuseCore piano composition software.

The Thror and the Thekk are very often listened to together (with my eldest son) on the two 6.35 mm jack headphone outputs of the Viva 2A3 amp for listening to and watching blu-ray movies in their original version (HD sound), and for nothing to hide from you, most recently the "Matrix" trilogy.
These two headphones, by their definition and aeration, not to mention their wearing comfort (so well adjusted for the Thror headband), are excellent for Home Cinema use, just like listening to my CDs of all kinds of music.

Currently, I hardly listen to my Odin mk2 anymore, which remains, however, by the beauty of its wooden cups and its finish, an art object! :)

May 23, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #2,862 of 10,023
Hi.

I still own the original Odin mk2 (with even the first version of earpads called "V1" (with small holes) with its sublime lacquered Karelia birch wood (natural color).

You can see it here, on the right, on the picture I just took this morning (in France).

20052307161223553816807835.jpg

This headphones Odin mk2 are very heavy (compared to the Thekk and Thror) and goes very well with my tube amp Viva 2A3 (in the picture), just like the Thekk and Thror, by the way.

The sound of the Odin mk2 is close to that of the Odin Thridi (which I've been able to try) with maybe a bit more treble than the Thridi (and the Thekk), but it treble is much less fine, more grainy and irregular than the Thekk.

The Odin mk2 is magical for listening to electric guitar for Rock, with a very saturated, warm, very euphonic sound (especially with this tube amp); but the sound is even truer, sharper and more detailed, while remaining pleasant, full and complete, with the Thekk that I prefer in the end for listening to all kinds of music.

I also have the Thror headphones (made of bog oak for the cups), but it is currently with my eldest son for his piano compositions via the MuseCore piano composition software.

The Thror and the Thekk are very often listened to together (with my eldest son) on the two 6.35 mm jack headphone outputs of the Viva 2A3 amp for listening to and watching blu-ray movies in their original version (HD sound), and for nothing to hide from you, most recently the "Matrix" trilogy.
These two headphones, by their definition and aeration, not to mention their wearing comfort (so well adjusted for the Thror headband), are excellent for Home Cinema use, just like listening to my CDs of all kinds of music.

Currently, I hardly listen to my Odin mk2 anymore, which remains, however, by the beauty of its wooden cups and its finish, an art object! :)
You Have a fine Kennerton collection there mate! Your Oden mk2's look awesome. My Thridi is sipo mahogany with some kind of patina applied. Looks great too!

So, what headphone do you listen with mainly?

Cheers

May 23, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #2,863 of 10,023
You Have a fine Kennerton collection there mate! Your Oden mk2's look awesome. My Thridi is sipo mahogany with some kind of patina applied. Looks great too!

So, what headphone do you listen with mainly?

Cheers

My answer... :beyersmile:

" In the land of Northern Russia where the shadows extend
A Headphones to govern them all
A Headphones to find them
A Headphones to bring them all,
And in the darkness bind them together
In the land of Northern Russia where the shadows extend. "

I'm talking about the Kennerton Thekk, currently my favourite headphones, slightly dark compared to other headphones, but very performant and very pleasant to listen to, especially with a full size tube amplifier.
Probably the best headphones produced by Kennerton so far. :)

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,864 of 10,023
My answer... :beyersmile:

" In the land of Northern Russia where the shadows extend
A Headphones to govern them all
A Headphones to find them
A Headphones to bring them all,
And in the darkness bind them together
In the land of Northern Russia where the shadows extend. "

I'm talking about the Kennerton Thekk, currently my favourite headphones, slightly dark compared to other headphones, but very performant and very pleasant to listen to, especially with a full size tube amplifier.
Probably the best headphones produced by Kennerton so far. :)
Lol

Mmmmmmmm...noice one maaate!

So you're basically saying the Thekk is a darker Thror aye?
Sounds like Thridi has similar sound signature then.

May 23, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #2,865 of 10,023
Lol

Mmmmmmmm...noice one maaate!

So you're basically saying the Thekk is a darker Thror aye?
Sounds like Thridi has similar sound signature then.

Thekk is darker than the Thror, especially in the the upper mids (or else, the Thror has a little coquetry (excess) around 3 KHZ), but not especially in the treble, well-balanced ; the Thekk has more lows in level than the Thror, but the Thror has a little more sub-basses than the Thekk.

I do think that the sound signature of the Thridi is closer to that of the Thekk than to the Thror, which is really a headphone apart, by its neutrality maybe a little too far forward.

Thekk (like Thridi) is more attractive than Thror, for the fuller sound, more alive.
But the Thror, just like the Thekk are better than the Thridi (more transparency, precision and definition, as well as aeration, better than the Odin (mk2 and Thridi). They are more "technical".

I think the Thekk is the most advanced of all Kennerton headphones, the most accomplished, and probably a significant upgrade from the Odin mk2 and the Odin Thridi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back