Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 20, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,836 of 10,023
Hey Mate,

I too cashed in on the Thridi sale at Computer Lounge!

Fantastic price, outstanding headphone. I see that you have some high end headphones in your collection.

How does the Thridi compare? Say with the Clear for example and LCD4...

Cheers
Have sold the Clear a few weeks back as I never really liked them that much. The Lcd4 are on a different level technically; soundstage is wider and deeper, bass is slamming( when the song calls for it) and better tonality.
Thridi is more comfortable than Lcd4 and the build quality is top notch.
Its only my third day with the Thridi, so things are still evolving....brain/gear burn in believer here.
Where are you located in NZ?

May 20, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #2,837 of 10,023
Have sold the Clear a few weeks back as I never really liked them that much. The Lcd4 are on a different level technically; soundstage is wider and deeper, bass is slamming( when the song calls for it) and better tonality.
Its only my third day with the Thridi, so things are still evolving....brain/gear burn in believer here.
I'm in Gisborne. I only have LCD2 and Aeon open as more expensive headphones to compare. But also HD6XX and K712...both of which have their qualities.

The Thridi is clearly better than all of them. Like the best combination of all their qualities in one headphone.

I look forward to your appraisal when you've had more time!

Cheers

May 20, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #2,838 of 10,023
Oh, what wood is your made with? I got the sipo mahogany...it looks awesome. Nicely understated, so the wife hasn't noticed them...yet. lol

May 20, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #2,839 of 10,023
I ordered zebrano but received a dark wood that doesn’t look like the one on their website at all. In hindsight, the dark one looks better.
Also, ordered a set of pads...less than half price.

May 20, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #2,840 of 10,023
I ordered zebrano but received a dark wood that doesn’t look like the one on their website at all. In hindsight, the dark one looks better.
Also, ordered a set of pads...less than half price.
Might be Bog Oak?

How would you describe the sound thus far? I'm thinking slightly dark but with excellent treble detail extending very well. Very slightly warm mids, nothing like the warm HD6XX or Aeon open. Flat bass extending well into sub bass. Bass quantity a couple db above neutral/flat.

May 20, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,841 of 10,023
I believe they are still evolving and I am running them for 20 hours or so now.
Initially they were a bit bright( that’s gone now) and I tried them on WA6 only to realise that’s actually to warm/thick for me. Out of the HDV820 they sound to me just on the warm side but with still excellent resolution/clarity. Treble is good and never harsh, bass is just right without getting boomy...don’t want more bass( I am used to HD800S and SR009S).
Overall I think I will keep them...said that a thousand times before,though!

May 21, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #2,842 of 10,023
Initially they were a bit bright( that’s gone now) and I tried them on WA6 only to realise that’s actually to warm/thick for me. Out of the HDV820 they sound to me just on the warm side but with still excellent resolution/clarity. Treble is good and never harsh, bass is just right without getting boomy...don’t want more bass( I am used to HD800S and SR009S).
I was tossing up between Thridi and HD800s...they were both$2k. Is the treble and mid detail on the Thridi in anyway comparable to 800s?

May 21, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #2,843 of 10,023
Heads up: the wooden cups hit the metal bracket so I put a silcone bumper on it to stop this happening

Attachments

• 20200521_173337.jpg
    20200521_173337.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 21, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #2,844 of 10,023
I was tossing up between Thridi and HD800s...they were both$2k. Is the treble and mid detail on the Thridi in anyway comparable to 800s?
I would say the HD800S has a brighter tonality but still smooth, combined with an expansive soundstage. Thridi is as you stated a darker headphone and therefore gives the impression of more textured mids and probably a more natural treble.

May 21, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #2,845 of 10,023
I would say the HD800S has a brighter tonality but still smooth, combined with an expansive soundstage. Thridi is as you stated a darker headphone and therefore gives the impression of more textured mids and probably a more natural treble.
Does the Thridi pull out as much detail as 800s, just a reduced treble quality?

May 21, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #2,846 of 10,023
No, the HD800S has better resolution albeit in a sort of analytical way.

May 21, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #2,847 of 10,023
No, the HD800S has better resolution albeit in a sort of analytical way.
How about compared to Focal Clear treble detail? Sorry for all the questions mate, but you must be a gold mine of info on this.

May 21, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #2,848 of 10,023
As I said I didn’t like the Clear...still more enjoyable than the Utopia( that’s my personal preference) which I have also sold.
But seriously, we all hear differently, even changing one single part in your chain will affect the sound of your headphone ( more so, the better the headphone); even the fluctuation of my blood pressure can ruin my hearing on any given day.
Most days I don’t get the sound where everything falls into place and I can feel that I am close to Audio nirvana....but trying to get there is worth the effort.
Sound today is transcending and I am very happy with this Kennerton headphone.

May 21, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #2,849 of 10,023
As I said I didn’t like the Clear...still more enjoyable than the Utopia( that’s my personal preference) which I have also sold.
But seriously, we all hear differently, even changing one single part in your chain will affect the sound of your headphone ( more so, the better the headphone); even the fluctuation of my blood pressure can ruin my hearing on any given day.
Most days I don’t get the sound where everything falls into place and I can feel that I am close to Audio nirvana....but trying to get there is worth the effort.
Sound today is transcending and I am very happy with this Kennerton headphone.
Thanks for the insight. Our listening experience certainly has good days and not so good. Cheers

May 21, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #2,850 of 10,023
Thanks for the insight. Our listening experience certainly has good days and not so good. Cheers
Pleasure!
Where are you located? Should you ever come to Dunedin, you can try the HD800S for yourself.
Beats anyone‘s description...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back