Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Oct 23, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #571 of 730
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kaldas-research-rr-1-conquest-500-electrostatic.900147/post-14782248

Kindly re-share the link, thanks...
1603434573302.png

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #575 of 730
Stats and bass is a somewhat complicated topic. Stats need a good seal in order to get bass extension, and a lot of the measurements that you see - a bump in the midbass followed by deep bass rolloff - are symptoms of a bad seal. When you throw in the fact that many stats are now vintage and pads are starting to deteriorate, it becomes pretty damn hard to get quality bass measurements and nearly every new measurement you see today shows a broken seal to some extent. On top of that, Stax have lately been designing their headphones with an intentionally broken seal, and in that case you do see midbass elevation and deep bass rolloff and there's not much you can do about it except to mod them and improve the seal.

Tyll's old measurement database had plenty of Stax measurements that showed a good seal, and in those cases you mostly saw flat bass down to 20hz and beyond, or maybe a 3-4db bass shelf but with good extension. In these cases, you also saw pretty much negligible distortion in the bass throughout. But when you had a broken seal, you had rolloff, midbass boost, rise in distortion, etc etc. Of course, "flat" in this case doesn't mean Harman flat. But Harman sounds too bassy for me anyway.

Now you can make the argument that a theoretical perfect seal that you can't attain in practice doesn't reflect how those headphones sound in real life, and having seal issues leading to weak bass could simply mean that stats tend to have weak bass, whatever the reason. YMMV.

In terms of impact, stats need power, and Stax amps are generally not up to the task. Give them aftermarket power and impact is much better, though compared to the most punchy dynamics and planars, they're still not quite there. But the L700 Mk2 has very surprising punch and impact, it's a straight up bassy, punchy headphone even in comparison to things like Focals. Now if only the bass quality was better, but that's another story. The old SR-X Mk3 Pro had terrific bass punch and impact, and even the 007, given enough power, has a solid tactile bass though I wouldn't describe it as bassy by any means.

The 007 in particular has a very interesting bass characteristic. The bass has very quick decay, much quicker than any dynamics I've heard thus far. So with material that has well recorded bass that doesn't rely on the system having long decay or excess bloom - like acoustic bass or well recorded bass guitar - it sounds terrific, super taut, punchy, textured, detailed; in this case I can basically follow the bassline melody more easily with the 007 than with any other headphone. But with electronic music that has been mixed for more of a club system, the bass sounds lean and not quite natural, there is initial impact but then it's immediately gone. And when you listen to a sine sweep, or use a tone generator to emulate one, you hear bass pretty much flat down to 20hz, so it's not bass light. It's definitely an unusual bass presentation and somewhat recording dependent.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #577 of 730
This unit holds an important Serial Number in RR1's production history.
Which is......?

BTW, such a nice looking paint job! I am jealous :wink:

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #580 of 730
What is the difference between RR1 Bespoke unit and a RR1 Standard unit?
Definition of bespoke: "made for a particular customer or user."
In other words: custom.

You can see in the #100 above - the customization is the GREAT looking paint job :)
Should sound exactly the same...

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #582 of 730
One day DHL will deliver my RR1. They have been more places then me..

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #583 of 730
So got them easy to set up I had to use no adjustment with headband. I tightened the ear pads with the headphone on and had to feel for screws. May need longer cable. Like the sound. Guess just let them break-in and come back with impressions. One thing is it’s nice when estat has bass a somewhat bass head can accept. 007 has more.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #584 of 730
So these are not sensitive like Stax and Voce.. I’m going past 12 on BHSE which would make my ears bleed.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #585 of 730
Hey any other owners notice a change after a couple days of use. Things I hear are better upper end maybe a snap to mid bass and more and not needing to turn up volume as much. Sounds a little bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back