K70X - Complement to the D2000? (Primarily orchestral listener)
Jan 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Terdinus Asus

New Head-Fier
First off I do love the D2000, they have a great deal of versatility to me. While I mainly listen to orchestral music (namely soundtracks), I do love their ability to work well with rock/electronic/etc. a wide range of music in general. What I like about them is that they are one of the very few headphones I've heard that can reproduce to power and energy of the basses, cellos, and bass drums in an orchestra.

But I think it's time to spice it up.  I want to have both, for when the mood pangs for different presentations of sound.
Here's the rub though: I don't want blaise. 

From what I've read it seems the K70X and D2000s represent two very fundamentally different sound signatures.  

I understand that, but is it because K70X are very cold/clinical/hollow/analytical with respect to the D2000s, or is it because the K70X represent an opposite end of the spectrum with the bold brilliance that the D2000s represent their end of the scale?  

Does that make sense?  The D2000s very boldly represent the lower end and the highs.   Do the K70X very boldly represent the mids and the highs, or are they just clinical?  

I've heard the HD650 are a sort of in between of the two, which is exactly why I'm not looking at them [at the moment], they appear to be brilliant in nothing specific, but wonderful overall...which I don't really care since I find music falling into the background.  They just appear to be kind of like "it's there" headphones. 

Here's the better headphones I have and enjoy, if it helps to gauge whether it's worth it to get the AKG K70X if it has a different enough sound signature from these: 

Denon AH-D2000  
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Sennheiser MX-980

Thanks! 
- Terdinus, who has come to terms that in the world of headphones amazing, powerful bass and an gloriously wide soundstage are mutually exclusive.  

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 7

I know right!  I don't listen to a ton of orchestral music, but I've been to a few concert halls in my life and I know that the bass in real life is a lot more powerful than the default position of the HD-650 or other popular cans.  The D-2000 gets it mostly right, I think.  I can't comment on the AKG because I've never owned it, but the graph doesn't look good for me. 

Quote:
First off I do love the D2000, they have a great deal of versatility to me. While I mainly listen to orchestral music (namely soundtracks), I do love their ability to work well with rock/electronic/etc. a wide range of music in general. What I like about them is that they are one of the very few headphones I've heard that can reproduce to power and energy of the basses, cellos, and bass drums in an orchestra.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Yup! Which is why I'm keeping them around.

Anyways I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the AKG K702, so I will let you know in a few days some first impressions, let them burn in for a while and give final impressions and whether or not I will keep them or ship them back.

If they fail me, I'll try the HD650.  

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Real bass, especially sub-bass, produced by concerts, not only make you hear them, but also make you feel them. This is one area that headphones can never match speakers. Many of the top end headphones produce very clean and accurate bass, but very few can put vibrations though your body like real bass instruments could.

I ran my K701 with a subwoofer whenever I feel like a "concert" mode (though these days, I can't keep the HD800 off my head). My living conditions prevents me from turning on the sub too loud. I also had to carefully adjust the placement of the sub. But it's worth it in the end. Brilliant soundstage with bass that I can feel!

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

Yes, the K-702 worth it! but you'll need to get a good amp and DAC

I'm assuming that the Fiio E9+E7 which together can drive small speakers will be sufficient? :wink: 

Quote:

Real bass, especially sub-bass, produced by concerts, not only make you hear them, but also make you feel them. This is one area that headphones can never match speakers. Many of the top end headphones produce very clean and accurate bass, but very few can put vibrations though your body like real bass instruments could.

I ran my K701 with a subwoofer whenever I feel like a "concert" mode (though these days, I can't keep the HD800 off my head). My living conditions prevents me from turning on the sub too loud. I also had to carefully adjust the placement of the sub. But it's worth it in the end. Brilliant soundstage with bass that I can feel!

I've never thought about doing that before! How did you set this up if you don't mind my asking?  

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

I've never thought about doing that before! How did you set this up if you don't mind my asking?  

You need an amp or DAC that has a separate line out that can be run simultaneously as the headphone out. I simply line out to my speaker system, while keeping the satellites unplugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back