k701's
Mar 12, 2008 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
These arrived this morning.

I dont wan't any more headphones. I am absolutely speechless with how these sound. I can't even begin to convey how these sound using technical language, but ifI was to have a go at it, I would say these phones are so transparent they are invisible.

Literally, they are ube comfortable so you dont realise they are there, and the sund just efortlessly envelops you.

I mean seriously, I can't imagine anything reproducing sound in any more accomplished way than these.

I am sat here listening to some trance and am absolutely mesmorised, these phones obliterate, I mean DESTROY every other iem and headphone I have (not a vast collection so I suppose subjectively it wouldn't be that hard).

Is this other people's experiences of this headphone, I mean if people are to be recommended just one headphone purchase it has to be these surely?

I would really like to hear other people's impressions of these headphones ad where they sit in the pecking order of headphones because these just place me right at the centre of a world of sound I never imagined possible.

Could i be that it is just the open backed sound that is appealing to me, because the walk all over my esw9 and w1000

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 44
did you buy them new? the 701's change during the first 100 hours.

IMO they are very bright when new. They become neutral once settled. Their soundstage, clarity, and lack of flab is why i like them.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 44
For invisibility, it's said that the AKG K1000 is a unique experience - supported by the right gear. (In a recent meet, the "perfect" K1k amp was over $10k.) The K701, for me, is still an exciting headphone, and the headroom makes it easy to listen to for long periods of time.

I believe the K701's success depends on a balance of clarity and depth. Try listening without the earpads; the sound becomes incredibly clear, almost antiseptic. With the pads, however, there's a clear balance that makes the music more appealing.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 44
What are you amping them with? Your profile only shows portable amps. If you get a chance, plug them into a desktop unit with tubes.

As for my opinion, I wasn't crazy about the K-701 until I got the Zana. It sounded lifeless and plasticky until it was seriously amped. It sounds good now and I enjoy listening to it, but the HD-600 and DT880 get more head time.

Look into a desktop amp - you'll be shocked all over again.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 44
yeah brand new and I was expecting some harsh highs but to my ears these come out of the box utterly adept at what they do

k1000 and a 10k amp, I cant evn begin to comprehend a more transparent set up. I mean how transparency can be better achieved beyond what I am hearing now, I know in the grand scheme of things these phones are low perhaps mid fi, certainly in relation to cost, but im just utterly blown away by them.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 44
Uncle Erik, thanks for the sugestion, I am waitng for a little dot 2 to arrive, as it is my first foray into tube and dsktop amps I went in at the cheapskate end lol however, after the gearbox on my car died a couple of days ago an havign to buy a new car (more cost effective than replacing gearbox) I fear my equipment buying days are brought to a premature end for the next couple of months.

However, the zana deux would be right out of my price range, and the darkvoice 337 has drawn me to it ut that would be right at the top of my price range when my wallet recovers. Would you recommend that amp or any other tube amp around that price mark?
p.s. sorry forgot to answer the question, currently amed via the iqube, I do only have portable amps as of right now.

I do need something a bit beefier though, as I dont think it can drive these phones to their full potential

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 44
Glad to hear
smily_headphones1.gif
I've seen a lot of k701 hate this past month, they are truly great cans. They actually sound really good out of my portable ae-2.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 44
I've got a pair due in tomorrow. I am impressed by your comments how they sound new.
All that I 've read indicates a long break in period. I've been told they will work well with my Raptor. Sounds like you are going to be real pleased after more break-in.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 44
I bought some about a month ago and must say they sound much better when broken in...some music I listened to had parts in it where it actually hurt my ears (granted, at somewhat loud volumes), but all of that is gone now. Make sure to play music and/or pink noise through them a lot (with breaks) in order to burn them in for a for a while, it really helps it transform into a better headphone. Have fun, it only gets better
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by artleaf2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
701 is great headphone but unfortunately it's discontinued now.
702 will be available in 2 months.

I think I saw a thread about newer headphones from AKG, but weren't most of them cosmetic if anything? I hope so (even though that sounds evil) since I just bought K701s
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back