K701 - Wow!
Jan 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #31 of 40
aimlink:Quote is not necessarily if you post right after someone.
wink.gif

I've came here from other head-gear related forum in my country, already listened to few cans of various brands and i i stand by my statement. I sold Senns 595 not long ago and K701 are only one i have right now except IEMs, and since i like them a lot, this is not going to change for i while. ;]

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aimlink:Quote is not necessarily if you post right after someone.
wink.gif

In your head, maybe. For me to follow a thread, I wish more would do it, especially when the thread is busy. In this way I have no doubt who is referring to who or what. There are those who post without quoting and are not referring to the post just before. So if all behaved the same, then I'd certainly agree with you on that count.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a decent amp I think the K701's have wonderfully clean bass, excellent transients, but I wouldn't say the bass goes as deep as it does with other cans. Certainly my beyer 880/600s (itself not known for the deepest bass) reproduce deeper bass frequencies (and the 770/600s more, but a tad boomy) ... doing a quick switch test I think this is obvious. And the AT AD2K's do too.

The amps are different in my tests, but I do not think this is an amp issue.

Nevertheless I do love the 701s for sure. Will never sell them.

You're right. The bass doesn't go as low as with a number of bass-rich headphones. I bring up the bass issue because that's supposed to be the Achilles' heel of the AKG opens - including the AKG K-1000's. The open-air design cleans up a lot of resonance but lets a lot of bass escape (LF waves are multidirectional whereas HF waves are more unidirectional). To capture that escaping bass, you either enclose the backs or get a good amp and boost the signal.

I think the 701s offer a compromise. While they're billed as open-air phones, I think it's more of a semi-open arrangement. I'm not sure how porous the center drivers are. After removing the pads, it looks like the backs are not totally open, nor are the disks. There are several reflective surfaces whose only purpose can be to aid the bass without going completely closed.

These phones are definitely very open, with a spacious, sparkling presentation that does more to sell them than the bass. My comment was not really to compare them with phones whose major draw is their bass. The quality of the bass is excellent (tight and controlled) even if it's not in the kind of quantity that would make it competitive with the basshead phones. My point was that the bass provided is acceptable. AKG has found a way to take its greatest disadvantage and shore it up, and that's before you amp them up. My intent was to say that if this leaner bass is the worst thing about 701's, these are keepers.

You use different phones for different purposes. I love my Grados and am enjoying my recent acquisition of the Sennheiser HD650. I've yet to grab up a pair of beyerdynamics or Denons, let alone the up-and-coming Ultrasones. I've just had these 701's on Santa's wishlist for a long time. When Santa's idea for a great gift was a back support, I thought I'd give Santa a nudge.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...You use different phones for different purposes

Interesting, great post. This bass thing and open vs semi-open vs closed is counter-intuitive, isn't it?

And see the line of yours I quoted? Well a few seconds ago I grabbed my wife by the arm, dragged her to the screen, put my finger on this line and screamed "See! See! See! It's not just me ... I'm not crazy!"

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #35 of 40
Okay, check this out. On Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, there's an artifact at around 2:27 (After "any way the wind blues" but right before "I don't want to die"). It's somebody talking to somebody. I can hear it clearly in the left ear. It's not some low-level effect dubbed into the mix. It sounds like somebody in the booth. I've never heard this before - and I've been hearing this song since it was released back in the late 70s.

I tried going backwards (holding down the reverse button so it skips within the track rather than going directly back to the beginning). While I still don't know what is being said, the talking is more prominent.

Has anyone heard this?

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #36 of 40
I heard similiar.. like people talking during the song, which wasn't meant to be there. Very low level.. But this is with my DT48.. Haven't had my 701 for a while. Theres also something similar with the song barracuda by heart. I know in the song kiss you can hear Princes jewerly dangling which is pretty cool.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #37 of 40
Would anyone recommend the 701/2 with solid state amplifier or valves?

I've got the 702 but Little Dot's mk vii (solid state) is out of stock, but then there's the mk iv or vi (tubes) that is available...

Wish I could try them out before I buy!

Anyone tried the above?

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #40 of 40
My Woo 6 + Sophia Princess 274B through Pico DAC = Soundstage heaven. Music everywhere, left, right, behind, ahead, up, down!! Just a hint of warmness with tight bass and balanced highs. Definitely a great match IMO with K701 at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back