K701 thread
Apr 29, 2008 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,619

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, i wanna start this thread as i feel the interest for the akg seem to be waning.

Weird upper midrange? No bass? Mid range not as good as k501? (maybe but k701 still sound more enjoyable) Sounds plasticky? Look like toliet bowl? No matter what it is , i still love them. I bought them in early 2006 ( they got more respect in that year) and they are 2 years old now. Tried d2000, ad2000, dt880 and hd650 and imho they simply cannot replace k701. I can sell away rs1 and k501 but cannot say good bye to k701.

Any supporter?

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 2,619
I hadn't used mine since my MS-Pros arrived, but last weekend I thought I'd try them again since I know they would be more comfortable. Well it was not my lucky day since the left channel seems to have died!!
I don't know whether it's blown or just disconnected but it's funny, you'd think if there was a connection problem they would just stop working since the left side is where the cord comes in!
I can't think of any other cans that do movies quite as well with my setup, other than this major problem I was always amazed at the quality of the build on these! They look like something B&O would've designed in 1977
icon10.gif
but they sound a lot better! Comfort wise, they are great for my big head, they don't "Creek" like my ATHs and fit over my ears! Musically I prefer my MS-Pros, but I sure was happy using the K701s with my Tomahawk amp through my computer!
I'll be sending them to Montreal for repairs soon, I wish I knew how much they would cost, I might be better off getting a new pair!
eek.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 2,619
k701 kicks arse!!!!! FACT

the design is awesome, and was the first thing which drew me to them (no, apple do NOT have white as a trademark or intellectual copyright, white is not a synonym for apple), i just knew I had to have them, and boy, was I glad I did. They are so beautiful to listen through, faithfully and accurately reproducing music the way it was intended to be heard, the way it was played a the time of recoding without any added colouration or warmth.

if neutrality and transparency are the end goals of headphones, then the k701 really does score very highly. The nuetrality and transparency of the k701 is beyond subjective impressions, it is asolutely clear for anyone to listen to should they wish to do so.

After listening to shure iem's and sennheiser hd650's and the kind of warm and thick treacle like heavy artificial sound they employ I am agog that the k701 doesn't get more plaudits.

thats not to say I dont want to own the hd650, I do, but for sheer reference listening then the 701, and certainly in the price bracket it is at, it has to be at the top of the heap.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi doxaman, Mspro/rs1 is of another level but they don as spacious as k701.

You are right, that's what makes DVDs sound so sweet, I can almost feel the sound coming from behind me when I've got the right movie. Saving Private Ryan is scary when you hear the bullets wiz by and they feel like they just missed the back of your head
eek.gif

I noticed another thread about a possible K702, I just want my Retro-Whities working again!

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 2,619
RAL recabled K701 "love" here! : ) My longstanding reference headphones after a long and arduous search. That said, however, the APS recabled K501 loom on the horizon. Between these two, it'll be AKG K5/701 "love"! : )

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 2,619
ever since i got my k-701's, i can't touch my sr-80's anymore!they seriously sound like AM radio to me now....and i don't even have an amp or a proper source!(Cowon D-2)
the sound is stunning,s-o clear,they just blow away the Grado's...

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 2,619
i recently got a pair, havent even come close to reaching the 200+ hours burn in time, regardless, they are fantastic. I'm new to the higher end headphone thing and the k701s have ruined my audio technica ath-em9r's. I cant listen to them anymore, save for while traveling by subway, when i cant hear anything anyway. they're lovely. recently sent them off to RAL for a recable and awaiting the arrival of a GS-1. Can't wait to hear them once the system is complete. My only fear is that they might reveal flaws in my speakers.

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 2,619
I'm glad you brought back some love for the 701s. Not long ago they were all the rage here on headfi and the great debate was between 701 preachers and those who thought Senn HD650s were top gun. Then as 701s became less expensive and therefore more accessable to your average headfier they began to get less attention (be that love or hate)than the new status elites like the Edition 9s or ATH W5000 etc. Bottom line is they are fine reference phones to my ears when matched with an amp with enuf power to drive them effectively and even more amazing when balanced. I currently have them balanced with the stock cable but am getting ready to upgrade. If anyone has done a custom balanced cabling I'd love to hear about it.

Apr 30, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 2,619
Yes i love my 701's. Have recently bought W5000's but DAZZA's comments about 701's being neutral and transparent bought it all back. Have to be one of the nicest headphones around on all levels, and i have much respect for them. A keeper for me.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 2,619
Ah, yes . . . I remember my second time around with the K701. Even with their stock cable they easily bettered--IMHO--the (RAL) recabled Proline 2500.

Having since gotten the K701 recabled with the RAL Paradise Cryo-Silver, they have been my longstanding reference headphones. Between the K701 and the K501 (soon to be recabled), I don't feel like I'm missing much at all out there. : )

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #14 of 2,619
Recently got a pair of Ultrasone Proline 750's I've been listening to them most of the time, because they are closed. But I had the house to myself the other day and got the 701's out. Pure Bliss, such a good Can. Only can I would need (around the house)n if my wife didnt fuss at me about hearing what I'm listening too. Love my 701's

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by barmar46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you brought back some love for the 701s. Not long ago they were all the rage here on headfi and the great debate was between 701 preachers and those who thought Senn HD650s were top gun. Then as 701s became less expensive and therefore more accessable to your average headfier they began to get less attention (be that love or hate)than the new status elites like the Edition 9s or ATH W5000 etc. Bottom line is they are fine reference phones to my ears when matched with an amp with enuf power to drive them effectively and even more amazing when balanced. I currently have them balanced with the stock cable but am getting ready to upgrade. If anyone has done a custom balanced cabling I'd love to hear about it.

I don't think ed9, ath w5000 and rs1/gs1000 are the ones that grab the attention. It should be cans near the akg's price range like ad2000 , d2000.

701 needs a good amp and source. I made a mistake of purchasing xcan v3 to drive them in the past. The Xcans did well with hd650 but not so with the akg. GS1 is the one that make 701 shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back