K701 or HD650
Apr 11, 2008 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

V-DiV

100+ Head-Fier
I've read hundreds, maybe thousands of threads and reviews on headphones, amps, DACs, etc. here at head-fi and elsewhere. I am about ready to plunk down my money on a set of new headphones. I had all but decided on K701s, but am not absolutely certain (K701 or HD650?). Anyone who is interested in chiming in, what in your opinion is my better choice:

Genres:
The majority of my headphone listening is to classical (esp. string quartet, viol consort, and other chamber music as well some choral and symphonic music.

I listen to a good bit of jazz as well via headphones. Also some rock/pop - Sade, Sting, Steely Dan, Sheryl Crow, newgrass, world. (I do most of my high energy rock listening via speakers).

Source & Amp:
I currently am listening to lossless files -> Squeezebox Duet -> HD 595.
I will also buy an amp to power the new headphones - planning on CIAudio VHP-2.
I expect that I will probably add a DAC in the future.

I am after a nice transparent, uncolored, clear sound. Not looking for warm & fuzzy (tubey) or punchy bass. Just balanced and clear. Looking for a great setup for strings, acoustics, vocals.

So what do you think?

Thanks,
Vic

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 36
What type of music you listen to stereotypically dictates you should get an HD650. However, in the end you say you want a clear sound. The K701 will do that better for your ears than the HD650.

HOWEVER though, do note that for me, when I listen to a properly amped HD650, the only word that comes to my mind is "organic." That's a good thing.
wink.gif

When I listened through the K701 through different quality amps (solid state or tubes), there seems to be no weight to anything. In fact, it seems that the higher the amp quality is, the airer the K701 gets, to the point where no vocals or instruments have no weight, no impact to it.
frown.gif

So arguably, the HD650 is way more balanced than the K701, but arguably the K701 is more clear, mainly (imo) due to its way of accenting the treble.

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't go wrong. I listen mainly to classical as well, and both headphones are excellent. In the end, I chose the HD650 between these two.

X2

I want to add, that both headphones are notoriously difficult for amps.
You would want something like Graham Slee Solo (but there are more) to make them perform really well.
You might want to consider the HD600 too. Somewhat lighter, less dark in sound than the HD650.

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 36
I agree with the above that you can't really go wrong with either. Btween the 701 and the 650, I prefer the 701 by far. IMO the 650 sounds too bassy, which makes it sound unnatural with a bump in the lower midrange/upper treble. I owned the 650s as a my first high end headphone and have revisited them on several occasions and those have been my find. My advice is to audition both if you possibly can by meeting up with someone or a small group of people .

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

I am after a nice transparent, uncolored, clear sound. Not looking for warm & fuzzy (tubey) or punchy bass. Just balanced and clear. Looking for a great setup for strings, acoustics, vocals.

This is pretty much exactly what the K701 does. I will say that I really enjoyed mine stock directly out of the box, with no break-in. I had been listening on 325i's for about seven months prior, and I thought the AKG sound was much more pleasant. It has since improved in clarity and all other aspects.

I haven't paid attention to the K701 vs HD650 debate, because then I would have had to purchase both, but if you search "K701," there are easily 50 threads comparing the two.

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 36
I prefer the HD-650 to the K-701 for the music you listed, but both are enjoyable.

However, have you considered the Beyerdynamic DT880? It's more detailed and is wonderful with jazz and classical. The HD-600 and K-501 should be on your short list, as well. I'd recommend reading up on those to see if they interest you. Still, you wouldn't get bad sound from the HD-650 or K-701.

One consideration about the K-701: there are rumors circulating that it was discontinued and a K-702 is imminent. It might be smart to hold off until after Can Jam 2008 to see if there is an introduction. If so, you may want the new one. And if you don't, the K-701 should drop under $200 on closeout.

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 36
this is a great discussion!

my first thought was, why dont get both?
smily_headphones1.gif

and this is because they are soo different! the Senns have a more muddy sound! the typical sennheiser sound. PLEASE! do note that I'm not saying they are not detailled! they are! they are superb as a matter of fact! but a more muddy bass sound!

the AKG has exactly what is being said in here, more airy neutral sound!

if you listen to classical, I would say the difference at this level will depend on the periods of music you listen to.

I found particularly great the K701 for Bach and baroque, because of the music style.

However I have to admit I'm learning to love the HD580/6** for the romantique period! the Rachs/Prokofs/Chopin sound really great with the senns!

(Mahler I'm still deciding
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither. Ergo 2.

smily_headphones1.gif

(want to see how is this going to evolve...)

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 36
Get the HD650 first then K701.

You cant go wrong with both.

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the HD650 first then K701.

You cant go wrong with both.

that's exactly my point!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 36
I have both, and have to say they both sound great.

The HD650's sound warmer, bassier than the K701's.
The K701's are slightly better balanced, tbh i can't really find any fault with them. The difference is subtle, but i prefer the k701's (just slightly).

The biggest plus for the K701's are their build quality though.
I'm fairly rough with my 'phones, but i havent managed to even scratch the K701's. After a year they still look brand new.

-After a year, the Senn's headband broke, one of the "arms" holding the left cup snapped off after i fell asleep with them on.
-Shortly after, the sound cut out in the right channel, cable was busted. (A typical weakness of Sennheisers).
A replacement is kinda expensive, so i haven't actually bothered to replace them, since i prefer the K701's anyway.
-The Sennheisers showed signs of (ab?)use after a couple weeks. Mainly the shell of the cups, but also the headband, paint wearing off, headband's plastic is "chipping off".

Plus...the AKG's come with a cool stand:
http://www.h-navi.net/bbs/img/11744772590084.jpg

Sound may be a matter of preference...build quality isn't.
cool.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 36
These are my two headphones of choice and while I love them both they are quite different. The 701s are more accurate transparent and detailed. The 650s are more colored and veiled with a greater bass emphasis. I really enjoy having them both but if I had to start off with just one it would be the 701s adaquately amped and suficiently burned in.

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 36
I own a pair of HD650s and i previewed a pair of 701s later down the line at dxc and couldn't believe how great the 701s sounded. Two good phones. Gotta say though, before the recable i wasn't thrilled, the Zu recable changed the phones alot-took out the veil and brought them alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back