K701 or HD650
Apr 26, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #31 of 36
So, I've finally decided, sort of. I just ordered a pair of K701...and a pair of HD 600 so I can audition. I'll keep one and send one back. Headroom was quite happy with that arrangement. So one of these will be in B-Stock in a few weeks.

I selected the K701 for the promised soundstage, clarity, detail, and tight bass.
I selected the HD 600 for the promised better neutrality and greater warmth and bass.
I'm excited to compare my expectations based on all of the descriptions, to the actual sound. I will post my impressions after burn-in and lots of listening.

I bought a Channel Islands VHP-2 to power them. Everything is due to arrive by the end of next week.

Thanks again for all the great comments.

Vic

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #32 of 36
Good Choice on the 701s.... Listening to them now....
biggrin.gif

Here's a short update I posted about them...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...update-320385/

USG

d-_-b

Apr 26, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #33 of 36
I have a Channel Islands VHP-2 coming next week as well. I'm going to pair the amp with one or two or three of the following:

HD600 (a keeper for sure)

and then either the:

HD650
K701
DT770 Pro 80

so please make certain you guys share your k701/HD650/Channel Island/other amps impressions!

I love the HD600, except that when I compare it to the HD650, it sounds a bit thin. I love the body and warmth of the HD650, but can't stand it as my main can. So the HD650/HD600 combo merely serves to make me like the HD600 less than I might.

So I'm thinking of ditching the HD650 as my alternate can, and getting a K701 as my back-up. My thinking is that the K701 will serve to make the HD600s seem like the warmer of the two.

Geez, this is like picking a backup goalie or, even more so, a bullpen pitcher. A long reliever.

Should be an interesting (and fun)!) summer...........
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Channel Islands VHP-2 coming next week as well. ....

Hi gregg

From your sig I noticed that you sold your DT880s. I was wondering which model ("03 or "05) you had and what you didn't like about it?

I also see that you had the 701s once and am curious which amp you were using them with when you had them and why you're considering them again?

Regards

USG

d-_-b

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #35 of 36
I had the DT880-'05, and simply didn't care for them. Too lean for me. I was using them with the PS Audio GCHA, which certainly didn't help, but it wasn't an issue of amp, it was an issue of an innate sound that didn't suit me.

Sad to say, I've had the K701 many times, with many of the amps in my sig, both solid state and tube. It, too, borders on the 880 side of things, just not as much, which causes my waffling.

701 = too cold, thin, lean, analytic, and fatiguing
600 = perfect but boring
650 = too dark, bassy, thick, slow, and veiled

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #36 of 36
so, you just say a mix of both, right??
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the DT880-'05, and simply didn't care for them. Too lean for me. I was using them with the PS Audio GCHA, which certainly didn't help, but it wasn't an issue of amp, it was an issue of an innate sound that didn't suit me.

Sad to say, I've had the K701 many times, with many of the amps in my sig, both solid state and tube. It, too, borders on the 880 side of things, just not as much, which causes my waffling.

701 = too cold, thin, lean, analytic, and fatiguing
600 = perfect but boring
650 = too dark, bassy, thick, slow, and veiled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back