K701 or HD-650 For Gaming
Feb 19, 2009 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

AdenFlorian

New Head-Fier
I've been reading threads on these two pairs for a while today.

Neither of these cans will be insulted with mp3's or onboard audio.

The most important aspect that I am looking for is the sound stage (I think). I've been told that a pair of cans with better sound staging would be better for gaming where hearing footsteps and being able to tell which direction they are coming from is of utmost importance.

This is why I am leaning more towards the AKG, because of it's "wide" sound stage.

I'm going to order either one with an amp from J&R, so that I can return it if I choose to do so.

So, basically, would the K701 be better for gaming? And what amp should I get to compliment it. I'm going to have an ASUS Xonar sound card to test it with, to see how much of a difference it is w/ and w/o the amp.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 54
It depends on if you are also going to listen to music, or just play games.

For the cost, neither of these headphones are very good for "just gaming." However, they are both excellent for music, especially with a good amp.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 54
Talk about overkill!

Order a pair of Koss KSC75 instead.
smile.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 54
I had great experiences with the 701 in regards to gaming and watching movies.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 54
I should also mention that I currently own the ATH-A700, but I'm looking for something new. I figured the change from closed to open would be "new".

EDIT: I am considering getting the AD700, so I can compare it with the A700. I just wanted to take a step up, but I never thought that I would need an amp too to get my money's worth.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 54
I honestly like my K501 for gaming. Very detailed sound and good spacial placement on enemies. They are EXTREMELY comfortable for long periods of time also. I have worn MANY full size headphones for Battlefield 2 and these are where it is at for me. I've had some that sound "better" or different, but when it comes to gaming, I want to be comfortable for long periods of time. I don't want to be fatigued with too much bass (from explosions) or hot/sweaty ears from leather earpads and closed back design.

The Denon D2000 works great, but being slightly heavier and closed - I can only listen for a while before needing to take them off and grab a drink or something.
Just my $0.02.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdenFlorian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I never that I would need an amp too to get my money's worth.

It's been more than 5 minutes since this post - set him straight lucky
k701smile.gif

Seriously though those two headphones deserve a good amp (and source).
Seeing as you're using the xonar (dx?) which has high current op-amps the 701s are the better choice if you don't plan to buy an amp. Still very far from ideal, but I've tried this combo myself and it's decent.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 54
The AD700s are just about the best gaming headphones you can get in that price range, or anywhere near that price range for that matter.

They are comfortable, the sound stage is amazing, and they don't leak much sound, IMO, so you don't go disturbing anyone around you

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by inukage0029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700s are just about the best gaming headphones you can get in that price range, or anywhere near that price range for that matter.

They are comfortable, the sound stage is amazing, and they don't leak much sound, IMO, so you don't go disturbing anyone around you

Yep. I highly prefer my AD700's for gaming over my DT880's.

In fact, I tested both out in Counter Strike Source.

With the DT880's = average score.
Switched over to my AD700's = score dramatically improved.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 54
Honestly you don't need a reference flagship headphones for gaming. The best pro gamers use crummy Senns, and some far worse headphones. The audio, and 3D imaging in games is way overhyped on this forum. Just get the HD555, AD500/AD700, absolutely no reason to pay more for gaming.

If Reptile can face off an entire team by himself with one medic support in TF2 with his crummy sponsored headphones, well, why on earth do you think K701 will improve your game play?

Just learn to have faster reflexes and reaction time, and well play a ton until everything is automatic.

As for insulting the phones with mp3s. Yeah, I'm completely confident you wouldn't be able to distinguish a quality 256 kbps mp3 and a CD.

Download HQ original video
http://www.teampandemic.net/movies/25

Streaming on WeGame
http://www.wegame.com/watch/Reptile_The_Movie/

- When you can play like him, then you can argue about whether K701 or HD650 will give you an edge in gaming. Gaming, usually you're either good or you suck, headphones won't make the difference. It's Learn To Play, or just accept that you suck.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you think any of the new music you listen to are mastered, engineered and produced today? Oh right its on a computer, ALL music you hear today on CDs are digital, computer audio. ROFL.

confused_face(1).gif
I'm gonna have to go ponder that one.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884
If Reptile can face off an entire team by himself with one medic support in TF2 with his crummy sponsored headphones, well, why on earth do you think K701 will improve your game play?

It's the same in every hobby. I'm also into bikes, and on bike forums, you'll see people arguing over $2000 vs. $3000 bikes because the $3000 bikes are 3lb lighter. Of course, the riders are 30lbs overweight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back