K701 or HD-650 + Amp?
Oct 16, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by FloydCouncil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt it. Why?

Because you will want it for sure if you get the power hungry 701s and Justin doesn't sell it separately anymore so if you think you may want it, then it will have to be with the purchase of the amp.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #17 of 41
I vote for 650.
K701 cann't rock.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 41
Consider getting an amp with a good DAC built in. I didn't realise how much difference a DAC could make, even though the sound from a MacBook is reasonably decent, until I actually tried it. Suddenly all the improvement I'd been looking for from an amp appeared. That was with K701s though.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you will want it for sure if you get the power hungry 701s and Justin doesn't sell it separately anymore so if you think you may want it, then it will have to be with the purchase of the amp.

The dps isn't as big a deal if you run the GLite off a separate power conditioner, or already happen to have clean power.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #20 of 41
It's amazing how different we all hear things. Uncle Erik and coolcat don't like the 701's for rock, while I think they are perfect for classic rock studio albums, where detail, separation, and quick transient response are the requirements.

And I never use the 701's for classical, far prefering the Senn 600's (which I like better than the 650's I have heard, but don't own the 650's so cannot do serious A/B tests) or Grado.

Audition (go to meets). Get return privs. YMMV.

These are the three most important things Head-Fi has to teach us.

Edit: And a fourth -- amp your phones properly!

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 41
If you get 701's then don't ever, ever, ever try on any other headphones. That way you'll always be happy with them.

A problem not brought up too often for the 701's is the head band. To me it felt like someone was pushing their thumb down on top of my head. I couldn't wait to rip the tinny, hissing, headache producing things off my head.

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 41
Yeah, I've decided to get the HD650.

But can anyone just address my questions about importing the Gilmore Lite into the UK?

Will I have to pay import duty or something? If so, where? All my packages arrive at the university halls I'm living in, and usually when I'm away.

How do I handle this stuff?

I'm going to pull the trigger as soon as I know this stuff.

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get 701's then don't ever, ever, ever try on any other headphones. That way you'll always be happy with them.

A problem not brought up too often for the 701's is the head band. To me it felt like someone was pushing their thumb down on top of my head. I couldn't wait to rip the tinny, hissing, headache producing things off my head.

because most other headphones are better than K701s?

just j/k
tongue_smile.gif

I had one before, but I may buy K702 later since it's easier to connect with a balanced cable and yeah, those "cushions" under headband hurt!

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by FloydCouncil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've decided to get the HD650.

But can anyone just address my questions about importing the Gilmore Lite into the UK?

Will I have to pay import duty or something? If so, where? All my packages arrive at the university halls I'm living in, and usually when I'm away.

How do I handle this stuff?

I'm going to pull the trigger as soon as I know this stuff.

Best thing to do is call Justin and ask him since he send his amps all over the world.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #25 of 41
I've been reading about the Darkvoice 332 and I'm very interested. Can somebody offer any opinions about the HD650 + DV332 combo?

I've never owned a tube amp before but my impression is that they're warm and since the HD650 is already warm, won't this make the setup too warm?

Keep in mind, I listen to Rock mostly (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree), would the DV be a good choice for me?

The reason I'm so interested is because I've spotted a good deal in the FS forums and the seller is based in the UK as well.

Please advise!

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 41
Hi there.

Comparing the Sennheiser's with the AKG's is like comparing two very different kind of sounds. I had an AKG already a long time ago (the K280 Parabolic - looked wierd) and started to drive it with preamps. It was nice.

Until I changed to the Sennheiser 600 and knew what I was missing. The Senn's had much more 'body' to the music, more punch, more drive, more resolution, you felt like you'd come as close to the music as you could.

That experience even increased when I got myself the Darkvoice 336i (I never thought I'd enter the world of tubes...) and did some tuberolling to find the ones that would fit my setup and the Senn's the best - what can I say - sonic heaven !!!

Then... I got myself an AKG 701 about two weeks ago. The moment I connected it to the Darkvoice, I instantaneously wanted to send them back - they sounded as if a big capacitor was in the line. Airy, no body to the music, boring. Felt like you'd be miles away from the music and you'd hear it over the radio. Then I read in several forums about burning them in - 100, 200, 300 - even 500 hours. Well, did that with all kinds of music from Maroon 5 to Massive Attack to Miles Davis and Patricia Barber. Let them ran through night and day.

And really - each day, they got better and better. Never witnessed such a dramatic effect with any component I had before. They now have about ~ 100 hours on them and they begin to make fun.

Are they better than the Sennheiser's ? Well, it depends... How can I characterise the sound of them:

HD600: Close to the music, bass, deep bass, punch, details, lots of details, but not very spacy.
K701: Space, lots of space. Not too much bass but sufficiently, still some aggressive heights (Miles Davis hurts sometimes), punch primarily for drums, and very nice voices.

So my advice: Listen for yourself but make sure you listen to well-run-in cans. Both are worth the buy, but the AKG IMHO only if you've got a tube amp and are able to change the amp's sound characeristics through tube rolling (what I did).

So much for my three pence on the topic. I'm putting my 701's on again... :)

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #27 of 41
Thanks for a great reply. You've pretty much sealed the deal with HD650 for me.

Just one more thing, how do you find Rock to be with the DV + HD650 combo?

Thanks again.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #28 of 41
Hi FloydCouncil,

I personally find that rock and pop work very well together with the Sennheiser and the Darkvoice 336i. You can listen at extremely high levels without any compression effects and in fact you won't notice the levels - only other people around you will. They gut punch, they are fun to listen, they reveal very much detail and have a very focused soundstage.

You'll definitely enjoy it.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #29 of 41
Put it this way, I use my hd650s when studying cause I can't get anything done with my 701s on. They are just too involving. ...and I don't mean bright, sibilant or whatever else. I just mean that they put you into the music so deeply that it is very hard to do something else at the same time.

Having said that, the 650s are wonderful cans.

Which is better is really a tough call (for me at least).

If you listen to hip-hop, electronic, pop, or that kind of thing the 650s are the better choice.

For acoustic music I haven't heard anything that holds a candle to the 701s.

Also, the idea that you need a tube amp for the 701s is a total myth in my opinion.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to Uncle Erik, his words are very wise. I owned both the 701s and the 650s, I sold the 701s because of listening fatigue. I now have the Grado 325i and the 650, I spend most of my time with the 650.

Interesting, if your saying the 701's are more fatiguing than the 325i's. Much larger soundstage, definitely, but as far as fatigue factor of 701 > 325i, I found the opposite (in the system in my sig). Perhaps a YMMV thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back