K701 Help!
Oct 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

No Deal

100+ Head-Fier
Unfortunately I started reading about these headphones yesterday. That is usually how it starts. First the reading and then the lusting after. Before you tell me, I know about the bass. I am willing to do some risk taking and hope that it all works out.

I listen to jazz. I need a headphone that has more air and tighter bass than my 580s. Is this my headphone?

I will not buy another amp right now. All I have is my old Supreme Headroom, a MicroAmp (and DAC), and a Hornet. Will one of these amps do a decent job with the 701s?

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I started reading about these headphones yesterday. That is usually how it starts. First the reading and then the lusting after. Before you tell me, I know about the bass. I am willing to do some risk taking and hope that it all works out.

I listen to jazz. I need a headphone that has more air and tighter bass than my 580s. Is this my headphone?

I will not buy another amp right now. All I have is my old Supreme Headroom, a MicroAmp (and DAC), and a Hornet. Will one of these amps do a decent job with the 701s?

Can't say anything about your amps.
But the 701 sounds really good with jazz. Give it weeks of running in however.

I use mine with a portable Little Dot Mk1 and it sounds fantastic. I use the amp semi-stationary.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Avin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The k701 needs some juice to drive them. With the amps you have Grados might be in order.

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy an amp that does the job? It's pretty cheap.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 42
I think your current amps will drive the K701s fine. The K701s work well for Jazz. It has the tight bass and the airy soundstage you're looking for. Don't think you'll be disappointed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy an amp that does the job? It's pretty cheap.

If I were going to by an amp, it would probably be a tube amp but I am hoping to avoid that.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

If I were going to by an amp, it would probably be a tube amp but I am hoping to avoid that.

Well, GlorytheWiz825, thinks your amps will be fine.
I think it's mostly that portables have no chance of driving the 701. Most dedicated quality headphone amps should be just fine.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 42
I have tried the K701s with a variety of amps. They sound better out of my desktop amp, but they are quite good out of a miniboxE that I have. I think the Hornet you've got should be more than adequate, and probably the Micro too. They just don't work well without any assist.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 42
I think they sound wonderful, but they do need plenty (I mean plenty) of burn in time. They will sound decent out of your portables, but not the best. But that just gives you more time to collect loot to buy yourself a better amp.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they sound wonderful, but they do need plenty (I mean plenty) of burn in time. They will sound decent out of your portables, but not the best. But that just gives you more time to collect loot to buy yourself a better amp.

With restricted portables (as ipods here in Europe) there is no chance of driving the 701s to any useful levels.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 42
I do not know if anyone here has heard the HD 580s but I am assuming that the 701s offer a very different listening experience. Am I right?

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 42
I have both the HD 580 and the K701. They are very different. Generally I prefer the K701, but it depends on the music, amp, etc. The 580 is bassier, not as detailed, and the soundstage is a hair smaller. The K701 is very detailed, bass is not as pronounced, soundstage is enormous.

I tend to reach for the K701 most of the time. However, for some music and sometimes if I switch amps, I prefer the 580. Both are excellent. If I kept just one it would be the K701. But as you said, they are a very different listening experience.

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katysax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the HD 580 and the K701. They are very different. Generally I prefer the K701, but it depends on the music, amp, etc. The 580 is bassier, not as detailed, and the soundstage is a hair smaller. The K701 is very detailed, bass is not as pronounced, soundstage is enormous.

I tend to reach for the K701 most of the time. However, for some music and sometimes if I switch amps, I prefer the 580. Both are excellent. If I kept just one it would be the K701. But as you said, they are a very different listening experience.

Thanks. I am informed now. I will buy the headphones and it looks like I will need to save for a tube amp. Maybe the Mapletree.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

I listen to a lot of Jazz with my 701's. Actually it's about the only time I'll get my 701's out is when I really want to listen to some jazz. I find them extremly detailed. If it's the Guitar of Lee Ritenour, or the French Horn of Chuck Mangione, or the Horn of m Miles, and or Wynton Marsalis. The 701's dont fail to impress me. Excellent sound stage, amazing seperation. Once I get a better amp I'll listen to them even more..
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 42
Looks like the decision has been made, so I'll just pipe in and confirm that, despite a lack of "juice", the Hornet synergizes very well with the K701 and should suit you well until you can provide a dedicated amp for it.

You... you're not going to wear them as a portable can... are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back