K701 Help!
Oct 31, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #31 of 42
Classic rock is a pretty broad term(there's a huge variety in classic rock everything from jazz to blues and slow rock), so I can't say they are good for it all. But in general they perform well for rock purposes. I really like them for jazz, beautifull!

Enjoy.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #32 of 42
My first high-end headphone was k701, and have so far never regretted getting it. The soundstage is amazing - you feel "enclosed" by the sound. : ) I use headroom DAC and it gets the job done very well.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #33 of 42
Hello again I'm listening Lemongrass's Windows cd and the 6th track has an amazing bass that goes really low....so, please don't tell that K701 is only a midrange headphone!
It has bass too, and really wonderfull!
basshead.gif

I think most of the dudes saying K701 has no bass, it's because they didn't do a decent burn in period.
blink.gif

Cheers
Rui
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #34 of 42
I bought a Woo last night. I'm done!

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #36 of 42
I really need to hear the 701's at some point... soon! I've always found the HD650's to sound excellent with jazz, but to be fair I haven't tried a whole lot of other higher end phones before. I'm contemplating the 701's as my next set of phones (unless Ultrasones interest me more), and this thread isn't helping!

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by RuiCanela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has bass too, and really wonderfull!
basshead.gif

Completely agree with you there, but we are most certainly in the minority on this. Seems most people prefer large quantities of bass over quality. As it stands, the bass characteristic of the K701 is probably the aspect I miss the most about that headphone. Speed, impact and texture. Near perfection, IMO.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really need to hear the 701's at some point... soon! I've always found the HD650's to sound excellent with jazz, but to be fair I haven't tried a whole lot of other higher end phones before. I'm contemplating the 701's as my next set of phones (unless Ultrasones interest me more), and this thread isn't helping!

The S logic takes some getting used to. Makes the presentation sound different. The bass is much more pronounced.

Classic rock to me means 70s electronic and acoustic. The 701s do very well with this genre but slam is not a strong suit. I have been listening to the 580s and feel they do better as far as slam and bass strength but don't have the sparkle. Non electronic music is the best stuff for the 701s because of it's airy presentation. A strong amp helps make up for some of the slam and (to me) the bass is very good. High end details are better in the 701s which is the difference maker for me.

After living with the 701s for a year, it's time to spread out and try some different hps. Next up, either the MS2i or RS-1. I would like to listen to them first but no one has them on the shelf in the area.
frown.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #39 of 42
Sorry to hijack here, but Camper, I've noticed a lot of hi-fi shops up here keep their higher end phones in the back, but available for sale or even audition. Peculiarly, this seems especially true with the ol' woody Grados. Some places you wouldn't even know they sold them unless you ask. Worth a try.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S logic takes some getting used to. Makes the presentation sound different. The bass is much more pronounced.

Out of curiosity, which set of the Ultrasones did you try? It seems like you currently have the 701's. Does this mean you enjoy them more?

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, which set of the Ultrasones did you try? It seems like you currently have the 701's. Does this mean you enjoy them more?

The 650s and 750s. I chose the 701s because they reminded me most of my speakers (stats). Guitar Center has a good selection of mid level hps. They had the Senns, AKG, Beyers, Ultrasones. I like the Ultrasones. Like the AKGs better. To be fair, I haven't lived with the ultrasones. I auditioned them with a Xin portable and ipod for three multi hour visits. My final choice was between the HD600s and the 701s. The DT880s were too siblant and bass heavy for me.

Glendale,
My Grado rep. is also my HT house and they know I want to hear them. They asked Grado for a pair of 1 & 2s and were told they had to buy them. They didn't want to have to buy them. They have the 60-80-125-225 & 325s. I have also emailed Grado to request an audition at the store. I was told they don't have demos.

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #42 of 42
The 701s came today. I didn't listen to them. I put them in the shipping box with a portable cd player set to repeat. I put the box in the garage. I hope they like 2 1/2 weeks of non-stop Wayman Tisdale because that's what's on the menu. Really wish I had a Jimmy Hendricks cd that was near today's standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back