k601: a disappointment
Jan 24, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #31 of 62

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Posts
605
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
markot86, would it be possible for you to draw a few quick comparisons with your HD600?


Bah! You're feeding my procrastination like maaaaad =)

I'll give a detailed comparison sometime tonight.
 
Jan 24, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #32 of 62

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,119
Likes
29
Location
Munich, Bavaria
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmorrison
lini,

Do you know if there's a link to this article anywhere? I tried looking for it on the stereo.de website and had no luck. Of course, not speaking any German didn't really help me out. If there's nothing available, would it be possible to scan the article? I always enjoy a good frequency response graph.
580smile.gif



Sorry, no link available. And I don't have a scanner here - but it wouldn't be right to post copyrighted material without permission, anyway...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini
 
Jan 25, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #33 of 62

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Posts
605
Likes
0
Perhaps I was a bit hard on the k601's; I could see these being a headphone that some out there would enjoy. Compared to the hd600, the K601's have:

-Less bass extention
-Less bass impact
-More prominent midrange and highs
-about the same soundstage
-less resolution

I think that headroom does have it right when they say that the new akg's scream for attention; they do have a way of projecting vocals, guitars, and violins out in such a way that makes you listen to them and pay attention to detail. I have a very hard time doing anything other than listen when I have these headphones on, making it a very interesting sound.

However, and this could possibly be because I am a fan of the sennheiser sound/because of my system, but I find that the HD600's suit my tastes better.
 
Jan 25, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #35 of 62

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Reading all these comments about k601 leads me to believe it's just a k501 with a new look.


Yeah same here, it sounds very similar to the K501. If someone could loan me a pair, I'd be happy to do a full comparison to the K501.
 
Jan 25, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #36 of 62

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Posts
605
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Yeah same here, it sounds very similar to the K501. If someone could loan me a pair, I'd be happy to do a full comparison to the K501.


I would if you were a little closer to me distance wise, but the whole east coast to west cost shipping thing would prob take longer than what I have left on my money back guarantee =)
 
Jan 25, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #37 of 62

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 27, 2004
Posts
1,823
Likes
20
markot86, your description of K601 kind of reminds me of DT880.
Not everyone is a fan of AKG house sound.
Maybe you naturally like the Sennheiser and Grado house sound or has gotten very used to them.
I, on the other hand, always find Sennheiser HD6x0 slightly veiled. May be I am too used to the AKG house sound (K501 and K1000).
Thanks for the info on K601.
I liked what I briefly heard on K701, and I think I will get it someday.
Still, K701 is no match for K1000.
tongue.gif
 
Jan 26, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #38 of 62

VR6ofpain

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Posts
2,626
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Perhaps I was a bit hard on the k601's; I could see these being a headphone that some out there would enjoy. Compared to the hd600, the K601's have:

-Less bass extention
-Less bass impact
-More prominent midrange and highs
-about the same soundstage
-less resolution

I think that headroom does have it right when they say that the new akg's scream for attention; they do have a way of projecting vocals, guitars, and violins out in such a way that makes you listen to them and pay attention to detail. I have a very hard time doing anything other than listen when I have these headphones on, making it a very interesting sound.

However, and this could possibly be because I am a fan of the sennheiser sound/because of my system, but I find that the HD600's suit my tastes better.



Don't take this the wrong way, but I am actually feeling better about my K601 purchase [pending with TTVJ] mainly because you don't like them, and you like the "Senn" sound. I might be in a minority here, but I really was bored to death by the HD600. I think people would probably say it is a good can to fall asleep to. Strangely enough, I find that listening to classical usually relaxes me to the point where I start dozing off. Needless to say, I like a little more life, or "color" if that is what you like to call it, in my music. I love my HF-1's (though they need Flats, after moving away from bowls, I can't go back...they are too harsh in the upper frequecies), and I think I might like this phone too. I wanted something a little less forward than my Grado's and it sounds like these may be the trick. I was considering the K501, but figured I'd might as well spring for the K601 for the small price difference.

What would be interesting is if these K601's have their own way of treating good rock/blues. Grado's have this down, but it would be interesting to listen to some SRV from a different 'perspective'.

So thanks for the review (seriously).
Do keep us updated on any changes you hear...hopefully my order will change from "pending" to "shipped" soon...otherwise I might just move my money over to the K501...or even the DT880 (not as likely)!
biggrin.gif


Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Then again, maybe not - for example, over here both the K601 and K701 as well as a few other new contenders have been reviewed in the last issue of Stereo - according to their impressions, both AKGs seemed to share quite a bit of their sonic signature, and they rated the K601 with 86 % (same as HD 650, btw!) and K701 with 89 % on their headphone ranking. And their frequency response diagrams made quite obvious to me, where to espect the similarities and differences. K601 also distorts a little more than the K701 in their measurements, though still not much on an absolute scale. Personally, I'd exspect different amp synergies for the K601 and K701...
Greetings from Hannover!
Manfred / lini



Do you have any of their percentage ratings for any Grado models? Also what headphones have they given a 90% or above?
The publication is called Stereo and it is out of Hannover correct?
 
Jan 26, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #39 of 62

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
What would be interesting is if these K601's have their own way of treating good rock/blues. Grado's have this down, but it would be interesting to listen to some SRV from a different 'perspective'.

So thanks for the review (seriously).
Do keep us updated on any changes you hear...hopefully my order will change from "pending" to "shipped" soon...otherwise I might just move my money over to the K501...or even the DT880 (not as likely)!
biggrin.gif



Just my opinion, but as an owner of both I think you'd be far more likely to appreciate the DT880 over the K501 if you listen primarily to rock/blues (although I don't feel either headphone is really the best available for those genres).

The K501 has almost *no* bass punch or solidity (although quantity-wise it's OK, midbass and above) and the DT880 is rather light on punch while being pretty neutral quantity-wise. I enjoy the K501 a lot for appropriate musical genres, but that's one ungrounded headphone just floating in the clouds with air/spaciousness and lacking in weight, authority and solidity on the low end.
 
Jan 26, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #40 of 62

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Posts
605
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Don't take this the wrong way, but I am actually feeling better about my K601 purchase [pending with TTVJ] mainly because you don't like them, and you like the "Senn" sound.


No offense taken at all =) I honestly was way too harsh on them and I wish I could take back what I said, but having auditioned the hd580 and absolutely loving it just beforehand, I was REALLY disapointed. In retrospect, I could see someone liking these headphones a ton, just wasn't my cup of tea. They are certainly very different beasts, and if you thought the senns were boring and veiled, you'll prob. be pleasantly surprised =)
 
Jan 26, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #41 of 62

VR6ofpain

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Posts
2,626
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Just my opinion, but as an owner of both I think you'd be far more likely to appreciate the DT880 over the K501 if you listen primarily to rock/blues (although I don't feel either headphone is really the best available for those genres).

The K501 has almost *no* bass punch or solidity (although quantity-wise it's OK, midbass and above) and the DT880 is rather light on punch while being pretty neutral quantity-wise. I enjoy the K501 a lot for appropriate musical genres, but that's one ungrounded headphone just floating in the clouds with air/spaciousness and lacking in weight, authority and solidity on the low end.



I listen to older/traditional/classic jazz about 60% of the time, and blues/rock about 30% of the time, with the last 10% being other stuff like pop (80's, electronic, country).
Does you still think the DT880 would be 'better' for me? I have my HF-1's for rock anyway!
biggrin.gif
 
Jan 26, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #42 of 62

murrmax

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Posts
187
Likes
0
Maybe it's not the headphones - they're high end phones and will reveal any
flaws in your source etc. I've heard the 501 and they're very nice phones. I don't think partnering the 601's with midfi gear will do them justice. Especially if your musics compressed on the powerbook. If the rest of your gears midfi and your musics compressed you'd probably be better off with akg240's or something less revealing.
 
Jan 26, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #43 of 62

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
1,364
Likes
179
Location
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
If the K701s sound midway between the HD650s and 880s, I'll be a happy man and stop buying for a while.


That's how I would characterize it, more or less.
.



Happy man... me too if that's true!
smily_headphones1.gif


Andrew
 
Jan 26, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #44 of 62

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I listen to older/traditional/classic jazz about 60% of the time, and blues/rock about 30% of the time, with the last 10% being other stuff like pop (80's, electronic, country).
Does you still think the DT880 would be 'better' for me? I have my HF-1's for rock anyway!
biggrin.gif



Depends how you like your bass: Rolled off low end + neutral midbass /no punch, or fully present low end + neutral midbass /mild punch. If you prefer the latter, go for the DT880.

The main benefit to the K501 is how airy/spacious, crystallized and focused it sounds, which honestly works best with "new age" and ambient genres but isn't that hot with others. I do use it for jazz listening, but only because the midrange is so great and I've become a sort of anti-basshead in my preferences lately. I hate boosted bass, and even sort of prefer it rolled off (at least with the K501, where it *never* interferes with that gorgeous midrange).

DT880 is much more accurate/transparent to my ears though, even with the slight treble boost. If I were to put monetary values on the sound, I'd say K501 sounds like a $250 headphone, and DT880 sounds like a $500 headphone.
 
Jan 26, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #45 of 62

Daroid

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Posts
1,147
Likes
27
Quote:

Originally Posted by murrmax
Maybe it's not the headphones - they're high end phones and will reveal any
flaws in your source etc. I've heard the 501 and they're very nice phones. I don't think partnering the 601's with midfi gear will do them justice. Especially if your musics compressed on the powerbook. If the rest of your gears midfi and your musics compressed you'd probably be better off with akg240's or something less revealing.



Good advice, but something just doesn't look/sound right it seems. A "mid-fi" (define what you mean by this, or it might be taken as a snotty insult) source doesn't make a headphone sound like crap, like the original poster most likely thought, it will just "limit" it's performance. Maybe the K601 really are crappy sounding headphones, a marketing is used to hype it up as "the average between a K501 and K701"
wink.gif
Unlikely though.

Original poster: Are you really sure nothing happened to the sound signature in these 50 hours ?
Do you notice any sort of distortion in any way ?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top