JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Nov 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,396 of 1,936
I've been speaking with Dsnuts lately about how the XBA-3s sound in comparison to the FXD80 and he's mentioned that they're essentially a more refined version of the FXD80, with even better imaging and soundstage, but is clarity/transparency/timbre/quickness the same? If it's as detailed as the FXD80 or better, then it's definitely something I'll have to look into, considering a pair of XBA-3s is only $50 more than FXD80s.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,397 of 1,936
I think he meant how extended the imaging is.  The sharpness of the imaging is 16x times better in the FXD80 with pancakes and strawberries on top, plus the intimacy is closer and more surreal.  The FXD driver is the only dynamic which can image with the sharpness of a TWFK.

A lot of people were disappointed in their XBA-3's, a lot, even Sony it seems, XBA-30 now?  Heh.  Put it this way I sold my XBA-3 within a week and wouldn't sell the FXD80 for $500 if they were discontinued.

Disappointments in the FXD80 are usually the too sharp highs around 10kHz, a slight void in the mids, and I think the sub-bass is too intense for extended listening sessions.

These are only flaws in the FR though, which you can fix a little with an equalizer.  Two more complaints is they are not highly source-transparent, and they don't sound natural.

Still, who wants natural sound?  Pass the gravy I got the wrong Doberman, put Shostakovich Waltz No. 2 on my Wharfedales in my vinyl room Nancy, I can't handle this unnatural sound, Velasquez my toast is getting cold, this was too much excitement for one day, I need to write a letter to that Chinaman which thinks a dentist tool in my auricular is an associate of fidelity, not in this part of the woods, let's go Beaver hunting, I say!

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,398 of 1,936
Another marvel of this IEM is, how can it produce very tight, loud and quality sub-bass at 20-50Hz, and diamond-like highs at 10kHz, at the same time in a single driver !?

Usually you need two drivers to do that (any other dynamics or BA drivers which can?), and then they use really lazy x-overs since they think consumers are deaf and can't hear x-overs, screw them.  I want an active and cohesive x-over system if I'm going to shell out cash on the equivalent of a motorbike (hi JH16).

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #1,399 of 1,936
Quote:

Still, who wants natural sound?  Pass the gravy I got the wrong Doberman, put Shostakovich Waltz No. 2 on my Wharfedales in my vinyl room Nancy, I can't handle this unnatural sound, Velasquez my toast is getting cold, this was too much excitement for one day, I need to write a letter to that Chinaman which thinks a dentist tool in my auricular is an associate of fidelity, not in this part of the woods, let's go Beaver hunting, I say!

LOLOL

Quote:
Another marvel of this IEM is, how can it produce very tight, loud and quality sub-bass at 20-50Hz, and diamond-like highs at 10kHz, at the same time in a single driver !?

My thoughts exactly. I wonder if can be attributed to the CNT drivers or the actual tuning of the IEMs, given that the driver is placed at the nozzle, different from the other typical IEMs.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,400 of 1,936
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,403 of 1,936
Thanks for this thread and all the feedback and reviews.  I was looking for a IEM to replace my dinosaurs (Sony MDR-E225 around 1991 or 92 I think) and I went with a set of FDX-80s.
Now I just wait for the mail man to show up.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,404 of 1,936
I've read most of this thread and i'm quite committed to buying the D80s. I think they're gonna go well with my Yamaha EPH-100s and I absolutely love the look and build of the D80s. I can't find the Auvio tips anywhere so i'll be going with the Comply's. For anyone who own both the Yams and the D80s, what tip size of Comply's should I buy if the stock medium tips of the Yams give me a decent seal? 

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,405 of 1,936
Quote:

Nice impressions. I don't think the FXD70 was designed to have as much bass as the FX40. I think it was meant to be a more neutral yet detailed  and refined IEM (and it is that). With stated, I would never call the FXD70 bass-lite. Actually there is some wonderful detailed bass that can reach deep when called for, whereas the FX40's bass seems to always be on. I do like the FX40 a lot (and for the price it's simply amazing), but the FXD70 and FXD80 has levels of refinement and details that the FX40 can't touch. All three are excellent, however, for different reasons. Thanks again for the impressions. The last couple of days the FXD70 has been in my ears. I think they are wonderful. Yet, as with the FXD80, you need tip roll and also play around with insertion depth to get the best bass (and overall sound) out of this IEM.

I was just re-reading some posts, and this one by eric resonates (again). The 70's definitely provide a high quality, refined, detailed, and more neutral sound. I am really loving the sound coming out of these when combined with the R1 foam tips (I suppose they would be the same as the Comply's) and with a deep insertion. They are finicky in that way, but once you get them setup right, they are rather amazing. And sufficiently different from my other iem's that they are definitely keepers
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,406 of 1,936
Quote:

I was just re-reading some posts, and this one by eric resonates (again). The 70's definitely provide a high quality, refined, detailed, and more neutral sound. I am really loving the sound coming out of these when combined with the R1 foam tips (I suppose they would be the same as the Comply's) and with a deep insertion. They are finicky in that way, but once you get them setup right, they are rather amazing. And sufficiently different from my other iem's that they are definitely keepers
smile.gif

X2

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,407 of 1,936
Quote:

smile.gif

Quote:

haha i had a little falling out episode with my 70s, after a long and intense burn-in of them, these sounded really thin and shouty. Think inks was right that there is mid/ treble spike in these somewhere which causes some harshness in these regions. Metallic seems like the proper sound to describe them. This of course was on flat setting on my ipods, therefore after so much work with burn-in I was really disappointed on how they transformed for the worst it seems. LoL Don't get me wrong the mids are crazy on these but it gets too harsh sometimes esp. compared to smooth and refined sound of my MH1Cs.

But i was messing with the EQ, set it to treble reducer on my classic and man these 70s are golden! All the metallic spiky mids/ highs are eliminated and the bass is kicking nicely. All i have to make up for the reduction in treble was crank the volume up a bit, which also boosts the bass as well which is a plus. Finally i can enjoy these 70s to the fullest. So much more refinement!
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,408 of 1,936
Quote:

haha i had a little falling out episode with my 70s, after a long and intense burn-in of them, these sounded really thin and shouty. Think inks was right that there is mid/ treble spike in these somewhere which causes some harshness in these regions. Metallic seems like the proper sound to describe them. This of course was on flat setting on my ipods, therefore after so much work with burn-in I was really disappointed on how they transformed for the worst it seems. LoL Don't get me wrong the mids are crazy on these but it gets too harsh sometimes esp. compared to smooth and refined sound of my MH1Cs.

But i was messing with the EQ, set it to treble reducer on my classic and man these 70s are golden! All the metallic spiky mids/ highs are eliminated and the bass is kicking nicely. All i have to make up for the reduction in treble was crank the volume up a bit, which also boosts the bass as well which is a plus. Finally i can enjoy these 70s to the fullest. So much more refinement!
beerchug.gif

Ha! Funny that I had just sent you a PM about the 70's, and here you are!

I managed to pry on many tips onto the 70's, and really for me, it was only the R1 foam tips that got them sounding stellar to me. Having said that, this was all on a "flat" EQ settings (like you were using), but what you are suggesting with the EQ'ing is a great idea. It will allow me also to try out the other tips again and possibly get an even more awesome sound out of them. Great idea!

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,409 of 1,936
Quote:

Ha! Funny that I had just sent you a PM about the 70's, and here you are!

I managed to pry on many tips onto the 70's, and really for me, it was only the R1 foam tips that got them sounding stellar to me. Having said that, this was all on a "flat" EQ settings (like you were using), but what you are suggesting with the EQ'ing is a great idea. It will allow me also to try out the other tips again and possibly get an even more awesome sound out of them. Great idea!

LoL, great minds think alike.
tongue_smile.gif
I need them R1 foammies ASAP! These 70s sounded ok with the FX40s foam tips but there was something I didn't like about that sound combo, so..... Yeah with EQ set to treble reducer, these these 70s becomes a lot more smoother and you can crank it up some in volume to get that bass kicking harder and deeper. 
L3000.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,410 of 1,936
i will pick my 70's over the Mh1 any day.....  simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back