JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Aug 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #976 of 1,936
Quote:
Compared to the CKW1000ANV's these IEM's are lacking in realistic tone, I'd venture they're a touch synthetic and a little too rollercoaster sounding.

They also sound lacking in the mids somewhere like someone stole a section of the mids and ran away.  I'm not faulting that though since it's a little interesting and refreshing actually.

I agree about the mids as come across a bit recessed in some tracks compared to the FXT90 and DBA02. I pretty sure it would be the same with the CK10 but I haven't had them for a while. I'm torn on my feelings about it, but overall I'd say another dB or two at 1K helps a lot for me. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #977 of 1,936
Yeah comparing them now to the exotically balanced GR07 MK2 I think the FXD80 has some issue in the mids / upper-mids for sure, plus the MK2 has quicker bass.

When I said max volume that's from my laptop RealTek sound-card so it's ok, I don't currently have an amp.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #978 of 1,936
It doesn't sound like it's missing in the mids to me. I just think it possesses a great amount of black space that many aren't use to in an IEM.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #980 of 1,936
There seems to be a a pattern emerging where some people are finding the mids to be a little scooped (tomscy2000, myself, Kiteki, some others I can't recall) and others that are saying the mids are just fine.

Taking into account the frequency response graph posted by Sonove, I'd venture to say that either there is really severe production variation between different pairs, or otherwise that the mids are indeed a little scooped.

This isn't a bad thing of course, since its just a choice of signatures. I tend to think the result of the scoop means that vocals are a little more distant, and the bass and treble the real stand outs - which adds to the kind of 'black space' effect along with the fantastic imaging and transients. It's an effect, and a pretty awesome one at that.

Nothing sounds 'missing' in terms of vocals being poor quality, they just sound a little  more recessed compared to other models like the EX1000 or GR07. I've felt this way about them since the moment I got them to now, many many hours later. This isn't a bad thing, its a preference thing. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #981 of 1,936
Quote:
@ericp10

Since you own both the FXD 70/80, do the 70's have that black space phenomenon you are talking about?

Not sure if that's a good thing or not tbh. 

No sfwalcer, the FXD70 doesn't have that same amount of black space. I think that's why in the initial Japanese reviews I've read on the on all three IEMs, a few reviewers enjoyed the sound of the FXD70 more than that of the FXD80. Even some who liked the D70 better realized and pointed out the better technical brilliance of the D80.

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #982 of 1,936
Quote:
There seems to be a a pattern emerging where some people are finding the mids to be a little scooped (tomscy2000, myself, Kiteki, some others I can't recall) and others that are saying the mids are just fine.

Taking into account the frequency response graph posted by Sonove, I'd venture to say that either there is really severe production variation between different pairs, or otherwise that the mids are indeed a little scooped.

This isn't a bad thing of course, since its just a choice of signatures. I tend to think the result of the scoop means that vocals are a little more distant, and the bass and treble the real stand outs - which adds to the kind of 'black space' effect along with the fantastic imaging and transients. It's an effect, and a pretty awesome one at that.

Nothing sounds 'missing' in terms of vocals being poor quality, they just sound a little  more recessed compared to other models like the EX1000 or GR07. I've felt this way about them since the moment I got them to now, many many hours later. This isn't a bad thing, its a preference thing. 

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence about the FXD80.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #988 of 1,936
About the recessed mids on the 80, this phenomenon is also quite source dependent. The galaxy nexus attenuates the mids while the ipod classic gives them more heft, bringing them much closer to, although still slightly behind, the FXT90 and DBA-02. The 80's are definitely a bit more source sensitive. I'll try the Sansa Fuze in a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back