JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jul 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #901 of 1,936
Quote:
So I'm wondering if there is some king of cloth or membrane inside those holes of the FXD80 and FXD70 speakers that prevent earwax from getting inside of them? Not that I'm prone to a lot of earwax, but I'm just curious how would one protect the drivers? I can't imagine JVC didn't think about this and how to protect the drivers inside.

I've wondered the same thing.  

I gotta chime in a little regarding the FXD60's.  I realize nobody really owns these or have not said much about them.  I was harsh on them at the beginning and was going to sell them but decided to give them a chance and glad I did.  I've been using them when I'm out and about and they do really well out in the environment.  They have bigger bass and are not as refined so it works well in noisier situations.  I love listening to the 70's and 80's at home where it's quiet and I can pick out the details in music but they do not do as well outside for me.  The 60's have good bass and it's not boomy or muddy but has more quantity.  Vocals actually sound very good and the treble is less prominent compared to the other two but still quite present.  If these were a little cheaper, they would be top notch but I'd still consider them ranked quite high in the mid-fi bracket.  I'm actually preferring them over the 70's because they possess the consumer signature but finely tuned.  If I could suggest for the fans of the FXD series, I'd advise to get either the 80's or 70's (80's more) and get the 60's since the higher end ones are more similar then different.  

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #903 of 1,936
Okay, so this is not the proper post for this, but since they're in the same family I thought I'll mention a product here briefly. 

I received today the JVC HA-S500. It's just barely fitting the criteria, but it is an "over-the-ear" fit. If you have really large ears it might fit you more like "on-the-ear," but I would say I have medium ears and it's encompassing the whole ear.

This is DEFINITELY the headphone brother of the FXD80/FXD70/FXD60 family. I would say the S500 is more akin to the D80's sound signature. Without burn-in and out of the box for like two five-minutes Steely Dan songs, great bass and treble (I can tell the bass is going to get deeper but nice punch out of the box); forward vocals; and great transparency and clarity. It's in the same family. Highly detailed headphone quite above the $52 retail price I paid for it ($80 if I add shipping from Japan). I see a few dealers in the states have 1 or 2 on Amazon.com. That's it. Solid construction with excellent sound. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #905 of 1,936

I received today the JVC HA-S500.

This is DEFINITELY the headphone brother of the FXD80/FXD70/FXD60 family.

forward vocals; and great transparency and clarity.

Highly detailed headphone quite above the $52 retail price I paid for it ($80 if I add shipping from Japan).

Solid construction with excellent sound. 

I hear KOSS, Sony and Audio Technica are having a board meeting right now.

KSC75/portapro, MDR-V6 and M50 respectively. =]

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #907 of 1,936
So when is JVC making the carbon nanotube... speaker? 
basshead.gif

I will buy five for my apartment where do I pay where do I pay, DHL plz.

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #908 of 1,936
Jul 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #909 of 1,936
Quote:
So when is JVC making the carbon nanotube... speaker? 
basshead.gif

I will buy five for my apartment where do I pay where do I pay, DHL plz.

X2 ... I've been wanting to hear their wood speaker that's part of a couple of their mini-systems kiteki. Did you get your FXD80 yet? See all the problems one little leather case has cause you? lol

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #910 of 1,936
I like the Creative Live a lot, but the JVC blows them away out of the box. I am pretty sure this carbon nanatubes technology is different than the layer of carbon they were adding to the diaphragm of the S600 and S700. I haven't read any reviews with high marks of clarity on those two. I think one review just talked about the bass (I forget which model).

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #911 of 1,936
I think the FXD80 arrived two days after I left Australia, my girlfriend is sending it to me on Monday, I'll make sure she uses 'express'.

I'm curious what it looks like, since a_rec pointed out the leather case won't fit in the normal plastic packaging.

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #914 of 1,936
Quote:
Dsnuts, did you get them from amazon, eBay or Japan?

amazon.co.jp

But a couple of amazon.com stores have them now. It's shaking out to about the same price (once I paid Tenso to forward them to me).

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #915 of 1,936
I got the gun metal one to match my FXD80 on ebay . ace of bicycle. Top rated vendor. standard ship I am willing to wait the extra days as I just got the new Sony MDR-XB90EX from them too. $73 shipped to the US. Not bad.. I was thinking if these have the detail of the FXD80s but with headphone stage. These might make perfect portable gaming headphones. Oh the music shouldn't be bad either. I am on this wagon. More evidence the Japanese get the best shizle.  I ain't complaining. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back