JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jul 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #736 of 1,936
Oh, and even if I hadn't seen the FR, the 10kHz spike IS quite apparent, it sounds very similar to my stereo/speakers when enhanced at 10kHz, on the very first listen I was a bit skeptical with that spike and a slightly thin sound and curious black levels, then I started noticing the imaging is insane.

I've always considered the Audio Technica ATH-CK10 and Ultimate Ears UE700 surpass the Etymotic ER-4S in imaging and seperation... now the FXD80 is at their level, heh.

I'm not sure how sharp the Shure SE425 is, but it is more extended, sadly with the intentionally tapered off highs it's a weak candle either way.

I'll compare the FXD80 to Final Audio and the Vsonic at a later date.

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #737 of 1,936
50 Hours of burn in time for the FXD70s. I have to admit the FXD70 is even more of a fun sound signature. Get your bass driven tunes and it is great quality bass too. I love me some Trance and Hiphop pop rock all of it sounds pretty nice on these..Different enough sound signature. I think the FXD70 is more of the upgrade to the FX40 sound more so as they have the bigger punch over the FXD80. Solid sub bass extension to boot.

They lack the space of the FX80 but make up for it with a nice cohesive tight sound. The detail on the FXD70 is actually quite nice as well..It is the best closed in version of the micro hd sound. The sound is thicker over the FXD80 there for different sound signature.. Trance on these are a treat.  Perhaps the FXD80 would be the upgrade to the FXT90 and the FXD70 to the FX40.

I am lovin both these JVCs. I will just say it. Hype train coming back. The FXD80 sounds amazing to my ears and these FXD70 are a party in my head. I love it. It is a more intimate sound over the FXD80 due to design. I am actually glad that these don't sound like the FXD80s. Some even may prefer this sound signature over the FXD80. Guys that want more bass over the FXD80. Club in ya head.  Detail on the FXD80 is great for being a single driver.. The airiness with the detail makes anything with instruments pop..I think the micro-HD is a great name for these drivers.Nice. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #739 of 1,936
I have 184 hours on the FX80. I think that's enough to go into regular rotation without any further effort. Time to try a couple tip variations to see what the fuss is all about.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #740 of 1,936
The fuss is about, listen to where the singers voice is coming from, the location in space is so precise it's like three satellites triangulate on the sound field.

Dsnuts and I both listen to electronic music which has a lot of noise and layering, actually I like 'rhythmic noise', with solo violin I'd say the FX500 still has a slight upper hand, perchance.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #741 of 1,936
The fxd80 are spectacular iem's no doubt about it, but as I switch back to my fx 700's for a listen I feel they are almost too airy and bright at times for me. The comply sure tone it down and improve the fit. I guess it's my sound preference to be a bit on the warmer side of things. The fx 700 really are magical, I am surprised so many got rid of them like shotgun Shane and Eric!?

This is what I am listening to on the fx 700 and it sounds excellent on the fxd80 as well!
An hour with west African guitarists

http://8tracks.com/luckystriker/an-hour-with-west-african-guitarists

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #742 of 1,936
Thanks for the link sounds really cool, good recording quality.

I think foam tips will most likely reduce the spike if you prefer it reduced.

2ea8845041b3256aa77185a0768d5152.png
351b025e1acb12f86e9b7322604dbb2b.png

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #743 of 1,936
Quote:
The fxd80 are spectacular iem's no doubt about it, but as I switch back to my fx 700's for a listen I feel they are almost too airy and bright at times for me. The comply sure tone it down and improve the fit. I guess it's my sound preference to be a bit on the warmer side of things. The fx 700 really are magical, I am surprised so many got rid of them like shotgun Shane and Eric!?
This is what I am listening to on the fx 700 and it sounds excellent on the fxd80 as well!
An hour with west African guitarists
http://8tracks.com/luckystriker/an-hour-with-west-african-guitarists

Sicilian0, the FX700 is still one of my favorite IEMs of all times, but the mids were just too recessed for my taste. That was really my only gripe with it. If JVC ever makes a wooden IEM with more forward mids - but the same bass and treble as the FX700 - I'm all over it. Great earphone indeed!

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #745 of 1,936
Yeah, the FXD80 is better than the FXT-90.

In what ways are they superior?

Well for starters I didn't think the FXT-90's sounded like an RE272 lol.  When I receive my pair from Japan I'll be able to compare the two in real-time and check, my FXD80 impressions right now are just from around 20 minutes in a Café.

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #746 of 1,936
Quote:

In what ways are they superior?

I find it funny that the Auvio tips are out of stock online at RadioShack. There are still plenty in stores, though. I wonder whatever happened to their rebranding scheme to "The Shack"..

The treble is not nearly as harsh on the FXD80 as compared to the FXT90 and is more extended. The bass is not as boomy and uncontrolled. Mids are pretty similar. The sound stage is more accurate on the FXD80.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #747 of 1,936
Finally got mine. Got pretty bad driver flex on the right side :frowning2: Out of the box sounds alright, nothing to write home about. Very similar sound to my FX40s worn over ear but better positioning. Will let them burn in and then re-evaluate.

On another note, incredibly annoyed right now. Tenso did mark my package as gift and 4000yen like I asked (£32). Now the limit for gift is £40, which I was below, yet customs still charged me. Furthermore, they charged me £9.38, 20% of 4000yen is £6.50. Then on top ofcourse the parcelforce fee. /rage

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #748 of 1,936
I have mild driver flex on my left side but it doesn't affect the sound any. I know it is annoying but I put up with it. Give them a good workout and the sound should open up nicely for you. Will be worth all the trouble to get them in the end.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #749 of 1,936
Quote:
I have mild driver flex on my left side but it doesn't affect the sound any. I know it is annoying but I put up with it. Give them a good workout and the sound should open up nicely for you. Will be worth all the trouble to get them in the end.

Yeah it's only during insertion or fiddling with it but I worry about how well that little piece of mylar will hold up. 
triportsad.gif
Either way not sending them back to Japan lol.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #750 of 1,936
I think you'll find the gift limit was lowered not too long ago.

Well after 60 hours of burn in, i've decided to just sit back and enjoy them as they are.

I've noticed that these are not really suited for gym use, partly as they're quite weighty.

But also their sound signature requires my having to sit down and relax to really enjoy them.

The yamahas i can just plug in and switch off, but with the FX80's they have such precision and timbre, that i find myself needing to relax to take it all in.

But they still continue to impress me, again the timbre is just so nice, i find myself having to dial the volume back and take all the details in.

How do these compare to the higher end boys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back