JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #3,106 of 3,142
Mate. You sir just, opened my eyes. LMAO that rollercoaster after 5k.
All treble measurements even on high-end rigs are famously known to be inaccurate to varying degrees.
My measurements were made on a minDSP EARS, which is the cheapest dummy rig you can buy, so a fist full of salt is required.
I wouldn't read too much into measurements anyway. They don't tell you everything about the headphone or the sound.
Also my graphs are scaled to emphasise peaks and dips.
Look at Roderick's graph 2 pages back to see a more 'conventional' scale with (I presume) psychoacoustic smoothing. Looks really fine to me.

It's also worth mentioning that these headphones do actually have treble presentation.
There are some very expensive headphones that cliff-edge-dip to nothing over 10Khz, which means there is no 'air' or sparkle in the sound.
I'll take the roller coaster over nothing any day.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #3,107 of 3,142
All treble measurements even on high-end rigs are famously known to be inaccurate to varying degrees.
My measurements were made on a minDSP EARS, which is the cheapest dummy rig you can buy, so a fist full of salt is required.
I wouldn't read too much into measurements anyway. They don't tell you everything about the headphone or the sound.
Also my graphs are scaled to emphasise peaks and dips.
Look at Roderick's graph 2 pages back to see a more 'conventional' scale with (I presume) psychoacoustic smoothing. Looks really fine to me.

It's also worth mentioning that these headphones do actually have treble presentation.
There are some very expensive headphones that cliff-edge-dip to nothing over 10Khz, which means there is no 'air' or sparkle in the sound.
I'll take the roller coaster over nothing any day.

Hi, Yes it makes sense.

By a chance, anyone here had sony r10, at some point?

Thanks.

May 1, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #3,108 of 3,142
So I was able to mod one channel to insane levels of bass... total basshead madness, but not the most tasteful.
I've actually got a headphone that already does this kind of bass, but with a lot more finesse, so I know how good this kind of 'deep thunder' can or should sound like.

I did a 2nd version of the same mod which was about 5dB less in the bass, but I just thought I'd share this version for fun... I'm still trying to get a smoother response, especially the extra dip at 250hz is a slight bit too much, but essentially I was right about the flat pads blocking the baffle vents and killing the sub-bass.
Now it's just a question of letting just the right amount out, using the right thickness of material, and making the simplest mod that anyone else can very easily replicate, since the same/similar effect can be achieved in a few ways.
Even just a piece of foam inserted into the pad from the front, tucked into the sides will allow more air to flow, but that doesn't sound quite right either, even though it actually does quite well at taming the treble a little if you like that sort of thing.
upload_2019-5-1_20-39-3.png

May 1, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #3,109 of 3,142
So I was able to mod one channel to insane levels of bass... total basshead madness, but not the most tasteful.
I've actually got a headphone that already does this kind of bass, but with a lot more finesse, so I know how good this kind of 'deep thunder' can or should sound like.

I did a 2nd version of the same mod which was about 5dB less in the bass, but I just thought I'd share this version for fun... I'm still trying to get a smoother response, especially the extra dip at 250hz is a slight bit too much, but essentially I was right about the flat pads blocking the baffle vents and killing the sub-bass.
Now it's just a question of letting just the right amount out, using the right thickness of material, and making the simplest mod that anyone else can very easily replicate, since the same/similar effect can be achieved in a few ways.
Even just a piece of foam inserted into the pad from the front, tucked into the sides will allow more air to flow, but that doesn't sound quite right either, even though it actually does quite well at taming the treble a little if you like that sort of thing.
Do want, to know more please.

Changed my mind, this gem phone, is legit piece of art.

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #3,114 of 3,142
Wondering as well. The DX1000 goes for around $500-$600 max. What driver adds $500 to the value? I'd think a driver substitution would significantly devalue the headphone given that it's special and rare to begin with.
I agree, it is the original configuration that people would want. Once you swap in new drivers, well, then it is just the enclosures, which are important, but for me the DX1000 means the drivers that it was voiced with.

Edit: But to be clear, there is nothing wrong with swapping in new drivers, it just is no longer the same headphone, but that is a personal choice.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #3,116 of 3,142
Oct 14, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #3,117 of 3,142
Hi Greq. They sound better what when they have the original drivers. More hifi, with better bass and quality of sound and great punch, and they have less of that hollow midrange what they have before in some part of that midrange. They still have that huge soundstage what had before, and the sound is very engaging (The sound of the original is somewhat boring in comparison). The image is similar that before
No, i don´t reuse the lens. I couldn´t use them with the new drivers. But i can tell you, what they aren´t necessary.
No. I don´t have measurements. i only give my Honest opinion
It seems to be these drivers.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_52

• How do they sound compared to the originals?

• Did you re-use the acoustic lens from the old drivers?

As there are 2 acoustic lenses on each side that are slightly offset and work together for the tuning of the sound and presentation.

• Do you have any measurements?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #3,118 of 3,142
The thread isn't very active but just wanted to tell that original DX700/1000/2000 pads are still available.

The part number is JVC J47503-001 and they can be found on Japanese online retailers like Rakuten JP.

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/shopping/e-earphone_1053

The product visual is showing some random pads, which might be confusing, but they are actually genuine DX ear pads.

2640 yen (for a single pad), which is 5280 yen, that is 49.5$ for a pair of pads. You need to go through some forwarder service like fromjapan, buyee or zenmarket to get these shipped. I paid 6900 yen including forwarder fees/shipping and international shipping (airmail small packet, EMS/DHL is too expensive for a simple pair of pads), which is 65$. Not cheap but not overly expensive.

20200609_124347_HDR.jpg

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #3,119 of 3,142
The thread isn't very active but just wanted to tell that original DX700/1000/2000 pads are still available.

The part number is JVC J47503-001 and they can be found on Japanese online retailers like Rakuten JP.

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/shopping/e-earphone_1053

The product visual is showing some random pads, which might be confusing, but they are actually genuine DX ear pads.

2640 yen (for a single pad), which is 5280 yen, that is 49.5$ for a pair of pads. You need to go through some forwarder service like fromjapan, buyee or zenmarket to get these shipped. I paid 6900 yen including forwarder fees/shipping and international shipping (airmail small packet, EMS/DHL is too expensive for a simple pair of pads), which is 65$. Not cheap but not overly expensive.

20200609_124347_HDR.jpg
Good to know!
This exact link was disregarded many times before because of the generic ear pad pictured in the listing.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #3,120 of 3,142
Great info!

Funny, years ago I thought that was too much to pay for a set of earpads. Now that price seems quite reasonable. Pad (and headphone) prices have gone nuts in the past five years or so.

Hanouk's post also made me dig up dx1000 after a long break. Lately I've been listening mostly k812,T1 and Andromedas and all things considered midrange clarity on dx1000 always surprises me... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back