JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Feb 23, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,732 of 3,142
This thread and especially this post worth bumping up. I usually don't resurrect necro threads but this is the exception. Especially after now I had a chance to spend some quaity time with a loaner DX1k I feel the words of this post even more justified. The boomier bass of the DX1k was like a massage to my eardrums but when I switched back to the DX700 every note I heard got cleaner and more articulate. Then switching back once again to the older bro everything seemed to be a little mudded. I'm talking about day and night difference BY NO MEANS though.

Ceterum censeo: to my ears the Dx700 is a little bit more audiophile-grade while I can't deny that most folks would be able to spend more fun time with the DX1K. For some reason we are just wired to enjoy deep bass and in that regard (only) the DX1k trumps the DX700. You can see at my personal page that I own a pair DX700 but it's not the reason I'm saying all this. I have had the chance to listen to the DX1k and should I wanted, I could have kept them, too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/412747/any-dx1000-and-dx700-comparisons/15#post_11175609

This could be amp/source related as well. I assure u...my DX1000s are not "boomy". Bass is there if its on the track but never over-bearing or bassed up on everything like Fostex. Never heard the D700 so cant add anything for that.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,733 of 3,142
A couple days ago I received a full pair of brand new Denon D2000s, minus the drivers. These are going to become "frame donors" as I migrate the wood cups, drivers, and earpads over. There was a guy who did something a little similar in the past and I'm happy to be following suit.

The Denon frame is almost drop-in for the JVC one (which makes me wonder if Fostex had another hand in them) and should markedly improve the overall physical feel of the headphones. Though I haven't had any breakage with the headband on the JVCs, that cracked finish has driven me crazy.

During tear down I'll also be installing mini-XLRs and a new cable. Should be good fun

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,734 of 3,142
This could be amp/source related as well. I assure u...my DX1000s are not "boomy". Bass is there if its on the track but never over-bearing or bassed up on everything like Fostex. Never heard the D700 so cant add anything for that.

That's the whole point. I took the liberty to underscore that part of your post. My remarks regarding the boomier bass of the DX1k is when I compared it to the DX700. As I said at first listening DX1k the bass was very delighting and the sound reproduction in general was very pleasing. And it still is, in a way, but when you switch on the DX700 you will hear what I am talking about. As I said, it's not a day and night difference, but it's audible, it's there.

My listening tests were conducted during ONE DAY (pretty much the whole day) on Foobar, O2/ODAC. Both headphones were with stock cables and I have used the following albums (FLAC/APE, 16 - 44.1khz rip):

The thing I regret the most is that I didn't do blind tests. Someone could have just put the headphones on my head from behind so I wouldn't see which one was on my ears. Next time I will try it, though.

And one last thing: It might seem that I just stormed into the DX1k thread bashing the older bro and praising its younger sibling (DX700) but it's not the case. Both are excellent headphones but just b/c the DX1000 carries a higher figure in its name than the DX700 and more expensive it doesn't necessarily mean that it is better sonically.

We are here on the biggest forum dedicated to headphones on earth, yet, there's not a single thread dedicated to the DX700. My aim with my posts here are not to talk s**t about the DX1k but to bring some attention to the improved model based ON the DX1000, namely the DX700.

As per DX2k, correct me if I'm wrong, but Luckbad here and Mach3 on the DX2000 thread confirmed that they are sonically identical to the DX1k.

Piece,

Peter

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,735 of 3,142
A couple days ago I received a full pair of brand new Denon D2000s, minus the drivers. These are going to become "frame donors" as I migrate the wood cups, drivers, and earpads over. There was a guy who did something a little similar in the past and I'm happy to be following suit.

The Denon frame is almost drop-in for the JVC one (which makes me wonder if Fostex had another hand in them) and should markedly improve the overall physical feel of the headphones. Though I haven't had any breakage with the headband on the JVCs, that cracked finish has driven me crazy.

During tear down I'll also be installing mini-XLRs and a new cable. Should be good fun

That sounds very interesting. This way we can decide how much actually that direct mounting technology counts when it comes to sound reproduction. Keep us posted, please.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #2,736 of 3,142
That's the whole point. I took the liberty to underscore that part of your post. My remarks regarding the boomier bass of the DX1k is when I compared it to the DX700. As I said at first listening DX1k the bass was very delighting and the sound reproduction in general was very pleasing. And it still is, in a way, but when you switch on the DX700 you will hear what I am talking about. As I said, it's not a day and night difference, but it's audible, it's there.

My listening tests were conducted during ONE DAY (pretty much the whole day) on Foobar, O2/ODAC. Both headphones were with stock cables and I have used the following albums (FLAC/APE, 16 - 44.1khz rip):

The thing I regret the most is that I didn't do blind tests. Someone could have just put the headphones on my head from behind so I wouldn't see which one was on my ears. Next time I will try it, though.

And one last thing: It might seem that I just stormed into the DX1k thread bashing the older bro and praising its younger sibling (DX700) but it's not the case. Both are excellent headphones but just b/c the DX1000 carries a higher figure in its name than the DX700 and more expensive it doesn't necessarily mean that it is better sonically.

We are here on the biggest forum dedicated to headphones on earth, yet, there's not a single thread dedicated to the DX700. My aim with my posts here are not to talk s**t about the DX1k but to bring some attention to the improved model based ON the DX1000, namely the DX700.

As per DX2k, correct me if I'm wrong, but Luckbad here and Mach3 on the DX2000 thread confirmed that they are sonically identical to the DX1k.

Piece,

Peter

Im sorry...all I heard was "blah blah blah"...LMAO

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2,738 of 3,142
The Dx700 has big bass so if the d1k is bigger its boomy for sure. The dx700 bass is not to be described as the kind that only shows it if yhe recording has it. I highly doubt you can describe the dx1k that way either.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,739 of 3,142
The Dx700 has big bass so if the d1k is bigger its boomy for sure. The dx700 bass is not to be described as the kind that only shows it if yhe recording has it. I highly doubt you can describe the dx1k that way either.

When people ready "Boomy" bass, that means that it encroaches on the frequency response of the mids, not that it's powerful. The bass frequency response very specifically does not encroach on mids.

These measurements were taken during a noisy local meet. You can see that the bass intentionally cuts out by 250Hz to prevent becoming boomy/woolly. Anything past 8kHz can't be trusted, unfortunately.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,740 of 3,142
Thats how I eq my bass. Except I place a more narrow cut to tame the energy spill into the midrange. Boomy simply means excessive bass with some extra resonance .. And it goes boom!
to me that is a good thing.

It doesn't have to mean bass bleed into the mids although that's usually the result. When I had the Dx700 it had a midrange suck out, the bass was boomy but solid, and I don't think it went deep like that graph but thats the Dx700.

Here is some more measurements from golden ears. To your point, to them it means the same thing... To a lot of us its more simple, just that it can boom.

Based on your measurements where boom usually occurs at 120hz, there is not much boom. Based on these measurements . The boomy region has a hump.

But thats if infact the Dx1k and D2k are the same.

Mine(being balanced modded) has dampening in the cups so I don't know how close it sounds to one stock.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #2,742 of 3,142
That sounds very interesting. This way we can decide how much actually that direct mounting technology counts when it comes to sound reproduction. Keep us posted, please.

What "direct mounting technology" do you mean? Do you mean the driver to the cup vs. the driver to the frame like in the D2/5/7000?

If that's what you mean, I won't be changing that part. I think the driver mounted to the cup and sealing the chamber is a great design aspect of the DX1000, and I'll make sure to maintain that.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,744 of 3,142
Yeah, I meant that. My bad!

Haha, no problem at all. I didn't even know that was a difference between the two until I read some in depth comparisons. Who knew there were so many different ways to mount the drivers ?

I've been wondering about adding some kind of sealant around the chamber edge when I take them apart, but who knows what that might do...

The biggest issue I'm having now is with the size of the mini-XLRs and how I can mount them. They're physically a lot bigger than the standard hard wiring that's there. It also looks like the Denon earpad "ring" (the metal part where everything connects to and the driver wires come out of and go into the cable) is a bit narrower than the JVC, adding to the issue again. I just ordered a few different mini-XLRs to see if there might be an option that way.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,745 of 3,142

Can't wait to see the results! 
popcorn.gif

(yes, l know, l'm coming in late, l didn't get a notification email until now...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back