JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jan 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #946 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Low impedance does not mean easier to drive. It means "need more current".

Thank you for your comment but aren't the DX1000s lower impedence than HD650s? & They sure seem to me to be easier to drive. I wasn't interconnecting these statments, just curious how the amp worked with these phones that are both lower impedence and easier to drive. I believe Zana Deuxs are geared more toward higher ohm headphones and the DX1000s are lower ohm than the senns.

Have you used them paired together?

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #947 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to hear it with the HD800's!

Ya, with great hesitation I ordered the HD800 as well and one reason was the incomming Zana Deux. I kind of feel like it will steal some of my limited listening time from my DX1000s. --i work too much. So unless I sober up a little to the cost, I will hear that combo as well.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #948 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your comment but aren't the DX1000s lower impedence than HD650s? & They sure seem to me to be easier to drive. I wasn't interconnecting these statments, just curious how the amp worked with these phones that are both lower impedence and easier to drive. I believe Zana Deuxs are geared more toward higher ohm headphones and the DX1000s are lower ohm than the senns.

Have you used them paired together?

The DX1000 are indeed lower impedance than the Senns, but not as low as some (like Grado). They are 64 Ohm, which gives most amps enough room to handle them properly.
They do ok from the Zana, but I like them with tubes that are quite airy. I heard them with Blackmore's Zana with Mullards if I remember correctly and found it a bit too dark and too loose in the bass.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #949 of 3,142
Common misconception - it is the SENSITIVITY of a headphone that determines "easy to drive" - not impedance (in and of itself).

An amplifier will deliver a certain number of watts into a given load (impedance).

A headphone will deliver a certain volume level, in dB, for a given number of watts (normally the spec is how many dB you get given 1 watt power). This spec of how many dB you get per watt is the Sensitivity of the headphone.

If an amp is spec'd to deliver 2 watts at 50 ohms, for example, and you connect 25 ohm headphones to it, it would deliver 4 watts into that 25 ohm load *IF* it is capable of doing so, as it requires more current delivery to get it done.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #950 of 3,142
Unfortunately I didnt have enough tubes to rol at the time we had mini meet and if I had this one, man, it would be just WOW

We were using Mullard and Sylvania, which was the best all rounder

Sylvania on the left

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do ok from the Zana, but I like them with tubes that are quite airy. I heard them with Blackmore's Zana with Mullards if I remember correctly and found it a bit too dark and too loose in the bass.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #951 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Common misconception - it is the SENSITIVITY of a headphone that determines "easy to drive" - not impedance (in and of itself).

An amplifier will deliver a certain number of watts into a given load (impedance).

A headphone will deliver a certain volume level, in dB, for a given number of watts (normally the spec is how many dB you get given 1 watt power). This spec of how many dB you get per watt is the Sensitivity of the headphone.

If an amp is spec'd to deliver 2 watts at 50 ohms, for example, and you connect 25 ohm headphones to it, it would deliver 4 watts into that 25 ohm load *IF* it is capable of doing so, as it requires more current delivery to get it done.

Thank you Skylab, part of that does fill a blank or question in my mind but I do know the Zana puts out less watts at a lower impedence and the concern was driving the DX1000s.

For the other comment earlier yes know Grados impedence is much lower. I actually do check impedence values before buying headphones. I have a basic knowledge being a fairly active amateur extra class at one time, but never was an engineer. I was jus concerned w/ the 1000s.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #952 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Skylab, part of that does fill a blank or question in my mind but I do know the Zana puts out less watts at a lower impedence and the concern was driving the DX1000s.

Right - because the Zana does not have the ability to deliver lots of increased current that the lower impedance headphones demand. That said, I consider the DX1000 at 70 ohms to be "medium" impedance. All of my OTL tube amps have no problem at all driving the DX1000.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #954 of 3,142
Has anyone heard HP-DX700 yet?

HD-DX700_big.jpg

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #955 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We were using Mullard and Sylvania, which was the best all rounder

How does the Sylvania ECC35 compare with the that of Mullard? It's really hard to find a pair of Mullard these days.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #956 of 3,142
Wow, how cool! They don't seem to be available yet - and they are not even on PriceJapan.com, nor do any of the articles I found about them have a price - but that is very cool!

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #958 of 3,142
IMO,They look better than the DX1000's in that picture.
Oh I just purchased the DX1000.
Do you think they are the replacement for the dx1000's?

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #959 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO,They look better than the DX1000's in that picture.
Oh I just purchased the DX1000.
Do you think they are the replacement for the dx1000's?

I don't think they are replacement for DX1000, just another model...

hp_dx_series.jpg

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #960 of 3,142
Definitely not replacement for the Dx1000- they are the "step-down" model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back