JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Feb 5, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,882 of 3,142
the picture of my LCDX DX2000 and iSine20 

I think,DX2000 match well with the amp O2 (the best match I've heard so far is the Traformatic Head One,which is a tube amp though)

The M3 amp is one of the best match of the Audeze LCD headphnoes (LCD2,LCD3,LCDX), I even rate it higher than the B22
The impression will come later

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #2,883 of 3,142
  the picture of my LCDX DX2000 and iSine20 

I think,DX2000 match well with the amp O2 (the best match I've heard so far is the Traformatic Head One,which is a tube amp though)

The M3 amp is one of the best match of the Audeze LCD headphnoes (LCD2,LCD3,LCDX), I even rate it higher than the B22
The impression will come later

Is that ebony wood? :O

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #2,884 of 3,142
Are the DX2000 and DX1000 constructed exactly the same inside except for outer wood cup color finish, or are there any other differences ?

Do the 2 models sound different ? 

Sorta thought 2000 was a limited edition model with cosmetic changes only, but I dunno.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2,885 of 3,142
  Are the DX2000 and DX1000 constructed exactly the same inside except for outer wood cup color finish, or are there any other differences ?

Sorta thought 2000 was a limited edition model with cosmetic changes only, but I dunno.

I've got the DX1000s and when I saw the 2000s I wanted to buy them, thinking it was the next evolution of some very fine sounding headphones (with a terrible, cracking hinge construction). But after looking into it, I found the DX2000s were just a limited edition item for the Asian, specifically China, market and there were no driver or sound signature differences. So I skipped on buying a pair, though they do look nice.

I never did listen to the DX1000s and 2000s side by side, though, so I can't absolutely guarantee that there are no sound quality differences between them. Let's see if coolcat can shine some light on that.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,887 of 3,142

They sound the same, I've tried them both today for about 30 mins to try to find some different, but I think I hear the same or almost the same sounds coming from both of them. Someone, who has better (trained) ears than me, may find some different in sound, but my overall impression is that they really sound the same.  By the way, the DX2000 wood is very beautiful , they look in real life a lot better than the DX1000 wood :p

p.s.  I will try to find time tomorrow to compare the LCDX with the DX2000. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #2,888 of 3,142
Thank you for info, and eager to read how they sound vs LCDX.

That 2000 wood finish is beautiful.

We have actually 3 different color finishes if we include 700, 1000 and 2000, all very nice !

If we can just source the little plastic piece that keeps breaking for everyone; resorting to a thin application of grey duct tape as a fix.

Hopefully, someday, someone here will copy their "good" uncracked piece on a 3D printer and make some batches; we will all buy them !

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #2,889 of 3,142
  That 2000 wood finish is beautiful.

If we can just source the little plastic piece that keeps breaking for everyone; resorting to a thin application of grey duct tape as a fix.

Hopefully, someday, someone here will copy their "good" uncracked piece on a 3D printer and make some batches; we will all buy them !

The finish on the DX2000s is more like the URUSHI lacquer on the Audio-Technica W3000s. Definitely a lot nicer than the plain jane finish on the DX1000s.

As for the headband, I'm still trying to figure out how to Frankenstein my cups, earpads, and drivers over to a MrSpeakers or HiFiMAN style, suspension headband. I did want to swap it to the metal, Denon D2000 headband, but once I had the 2 sets disassembled it turned out to be a much greater challenge as too many of the pieces didn't quite line up. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,890 of 3,142
  The finish on the DX2000s is more like the URUSHI lacquer on the Audio-Technica W3000s. Definitely a lot nicer than the plain jane finish on the DX1000s.

As for the headband, I'm still trying to figure out how to Frankenstein my cups, earpads, and drivers over to a MrSpeakers or HiFiMAN style, suspension headband. I did want to swap it to the metal, Denon D2000 headband, but once I had the 2 sets disassembled it turned out to be a much greater challenge as too many of the pieces didn't quite line up. 

Yes, very attractive. I don't see many online, were they some special edition model? the 1000s seem to be easily obtainable via ebay

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,891 of 3,142
@Benny-x, best wishes for the headband mod. With one that fits, it solves the plasctic piece cracking & breaking. Hope your project works out well, and an inexpensive, comfortable solution is found; as easy as just snapping the cups into place.

Unfortunate the 2000 headband pieces didn't exactly line up. It was something I was wondering about. This "style" headband supplied on the HP-DX1000 has such a common appearance, it looks like so many others, even many oem asian headphones rebadged to various many brands. Gotta think one of these badged headphones may have the exact same headband to line-up perfectly to fit the cups, simply by snapping them into place. I tried to zoom-look closely in fotos of many badged hp's at the matching piece which breaks on our JVC-Victor ,and many other hp's plastic piece is slightly different, beside headband looking identical.

If we knew where JVC-Victor was sourcing the complete headband, we might be able to buy a spare for future use. It seems like one of those other many badged hp's must have a headband that will fit our cups easily just by popping them in, but the problem is...which one ? There are a lot that look alike, and they may not all fit DX1000 cups, but I'm guessing there is one somewhere that will fit exactly.

It's ashame on a top-end, fairly expensive hp in their top tier, that JVC-Victor can't help us with the tiny plastic piece we all need. They could sell alot of these pieces; better yet, make it out of aluminum, carbon-fiber or hi-strength plastic to fix permanently. Seems dumb they overlook this, when it can hamper sales of their whole headphone. Plus, cups can fall right off, & hang by the wires, so their sales can be hindered by some wary to buy the headphones, just due to a flimsy plastic cover piece.

Still have some sources to check for the part, I may call the JVC technical repair center in New Jersey, USA too. Tax season here in USA now, so won't have time until my taxes are done; probably will get to it in summer when there's more time to search again if I don't forget. Made a list of who I contacted (struck out) & need to contact yet...just gotta find the list, it's here around somewhere !

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,892 of 3,142
I did finally have the time to listen tomy phones :p. I listened to the LCDX side by side with the DX2000 last night. My gears are M3 amp (quite expensive part compared to the other M3s around), NOS DAC (DIY Non Oversampling DAC) and some decent price interconnect and power cords. The system was built around the LCDX. (for example,the hd800 and a lot of cans  sound bad with my system). The sound of my LCDX with this system is a lot better to my ear than the sound out of dac amp such as Chord Hugo. I have to write down this information in order to inform what were the DX2000 compared to. About me, I like dark headphones with big bass and soundstage. I am quite treble sensitive (I think)  and  My impression is below:
 I think in some genres the DX2000 hold themselves against  the LCDX well. Female vocal,acoustic and a lot of pop and RNB songs sound good with the DX2000. Rock, metal are not the best genres to listen with them though.
I think the bass and the Mid (vocal) of the Dx2000 can satisfy me even though these are still behind the bass and the mid of the LCDX. About the bass, the impact, the body and deep bass are there. When I listen to some edm songs (especially vocal deep house), I dont feel the DX2000 lack anything in the bass department (and the vocal). But the LCDX's bass is just fuller,deeper and more  subwoofer like than the DX2000 bass, but compared DX2000 bass to something else such as Beyer T5P Gen2, you can easily see why people call the DX2000 (DX1000) basshead cans.

The Mid of DX2000 is nice,clear and forward (and kind of color). When I listen to a  female Vocal song with not many instruments, I dont feel it lacks much compared to the LCDX. The LCDX just sound clearer, smoother, with more detail, but the DX2000 mid is not far behind.

The next point is  treble (and maybe the upper mid), I think this point is one of the weak points of the DX2000. I've heard an unpleasant high pitch in some songs (most often when listening to pop- and indy songs). It's funny that this happen with the warm sounding headphones such as Dx2000.  The treble is not as good as the LCDX treble. With LCDX you can hear a crystal clear sound without the harsh treble , you hear from the DX2000 (not always harsh though)  By the way, I think many of the DX1000,2000 owners already fix this problem with appropriate amps or just upgrade the cable.

About the soundstage, both LCDX and DX2000 have a decent soundstage size. The width and the height is not much different, even though I think the LCDX offer more width and height, but due to the thicker sound of the LCDX, people can feel that the size is not much different (even can feel that the Dx2000 is airrier). The things that make the LCDX clearly superior to the DX2000 are the soundstage depth and instruments separation. There is no contest here, With the LCDX, it's quite easy to tell where the instruments are and if you listen to a good recorded song, you can even tell how far are this and that instruments from you.

About some other things, The LCDX provide a better PRat and  the DX2000 is OK in this department. Both cans offer coherent music reproduction, both are lush and fun to listen to.  The one thing besides the soundstage depth and instruments separation that make the LCDX better headphones than the DX2000 is the detail retrieval. When I listen to the LCDX, I've heard something that cannot be heard from the DX2000. It s like you compared the iems with 10 Ba driver with the 6 ba driver iems. If you used to listen to K10 and ES5, you'll easily see my point. I think this point is a very important factor, when listening to rock and metal (together with the PRaT). I would say I enjoy the LCDX far more than the DX2000 in those genres. With the LCDX, you feel like you listen to  the engine sound of the 1500CC Big Bike , but with the DX2000 the bike is somewhat smaller (500 CC maybe)

Final thought, I think the price of the DX1000 (I dont mention the Dx2000 here) today is ok (700$ I guess), they still sound good compared to something around their current price and not that bad compared to something that cost a lot more than them. It is just a matter of preference, some may find some headphones in this price range sound better, some may find they like  dx1000 the most. To me, I like the Dx1000 a lot, maybe I just like the JVC house sound or a woody coloration (for reference, I sold a lot of TOTLs iems just to stop by the woody JVC FW01). The Dx1000 used to be my most favorite can, but today I prefer the LCDX to them.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #2,895 of 3,142
Thanks coolcat..i take it the dx2000 is showing its age compared to other new models. However its a great classic. With its own signature sound.

yeah right, I think the DX1000 age better than cans from that generation  such as D7000, because its sound is quite unique and it is fun to listen to.
(Hahaha I think the people who prefer the D7000 to the DX1000 (2000) would say differently though :p). It's nice to see the thread still somehow active. It was a very long time since I first owned the DX1000 (I sold them and bought them back though), I still remember when I read Skylab's review and how happy I was when I found his review was exactly what I thought about my DX1000 (my gears have changed a lot during the time , the impression I wrote yesterday is not like my feeling 7-8 years ago when I listened to the Dx1000 with my Sony D777 cdp.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back