JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!
Apr 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #181 of 227
Quote:
How do one become an audiophile? :wink:

Well they don't have the technicalities of Stax 009 but they're pretty darn good at all those things. I especially like the soundstage on RX700.

And they're actually semi open, the area around the silver ring outside are holey.

How are they on a laptop without amp? How much money do you find them worth? Also, do they get a lot better with mods, or is this not true?

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #183 of 227
Quote:
How do one become an audiophile? :wink:

Well they don't have the technicalities of Stax 009 but they're pretty darn good at all those things. I especially like the soundstage on RX700.

And they're actually semi open, the area around the silver ring outside are holey.

right right. sorry. indeed. I guess I'm so partial to the extremely open variety that "semi-open" might as well be closed to me.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #184 of 227
Well the holes are pretty much invisible, I only know it because some funky guy back then taped ribbons through the hole and posted the pic he took to prove his point that RX700 is semi open. That sure left some impression. 
biggrin.gif

I'm interested in your mod but need a new pair of it first, I have to import the phone and it'd get kinda expensive to toy around, but it's worth it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #186 of 227
Quote:
Well the holes are pretty much invisible, I only know it because some funky guy back then taped ribbons through the hole and posted the pic he took to prove his point that RX700 is semi open. That sure left some impression. 
biggrin.gif

I'm interested in your mod but need a new pair of it first, I have to import the phone and it'd get kinda expensive to toy around, but it's worth it.

Yeah, I saw that heated debate about the hidden holes. That got a little out of hand. But, oddly, that tends to happen with this stuff.

Depending on what material you can find to use for an outer screen, it can be pretty cheap. The guy I got the idea from cut a grill off the back of an old PC tower. Just need something structured enough to keep the inner bits from getting banged up and something to keep dust out.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #188 of 227
Quote:
Yeah, I saw that heated debate about the hidden holes. That got a little out of hand. But, oddly, that tends to happen with this stuff.

Depending on what material you can find to use for an outer screen, it can be pretty cheap. The guy I got the idea from cut a grill off the back of an old PC tower. Just need something structured enough to keep the inner bits from getting banged up and something to keep dust out.

No, I mean I have to buy another pair of RX700 to toy with (and then an RX900 for T50RP transplant, I don't live in US by the way) which get expensive fast.

@dakanao
The CAL has much smaller soundstage, an even more recessive mid, more midbass and more sparkly high, they're also easy to get sibilant. Since I don't like fatiguing phone and love soundstage I ended up selling CAL. It's still a very good phone providing you like the signature.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #191 of 227
Quote:
No, I mean I have to buy another pair of RX700 to toy with (and then an RX900 for T50RP transplant, I don't live in US by the way) which get expensive fast.

@dakanao
The CAL has much smaller soundstage, an even more recessive mid, more midbass and more sparkly high, they're also easy to get sibilant. Since I don't like fatiguing phone and love soundstage I ended up selling CAL. It's still a very good phone providing you like the signature.

And which one is better for vocals; the JVC HA-RX700 or CAL? Also, which one is has better clarity overall for rap/hiphop?

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #192 of 227
Yeah. Soundstage (or whatever you wanna call it) makes all the difference to me. And the 700s excels in that. I comfortably sold my Senn 280s after I finished my 700s mod even though they don't have as much detail. The 280s were detailed and clear but flat as a pancake -- not to mention terribly uncomfortable. The 700s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Super light!

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #193 of 227
Quote:
Yeah. Soundstage (or whatever you wanna call it) makes all the difference to me. And the 700s excels in that. I comfortably sold my Senn 280s after I finished my 700s mod even though they don't have as much detail. The 280s were detailed and clear but flat as a pancake -- not to mention terribly uncomfortable. The 700s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Super light!

How much money do you think the 700s are worth unamped and without mods, but fully burned in?

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #195 of 227
Quote:
How does the 700's soundstage compare to the Audio Technica ATH-A700 (both without mods?)

i would call the a700 as having slightly larger soundstage. the jvc rx900 has larger stage than both but is more of a 'V' shaped sound curve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back