JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!
Apr 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #169 of 227
Key question: do you consider the modded sound signature to have less treble energy than headphones such as say, the koss ksc75? I am a bit treble sensitive. 

I use the following headphones which I have no problems with:

-koss portapro

-apple earpods

-koss dj100

Thanks. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #170 of 227
Hmmmm. I'm not familiar with any of those, except maybe the apple earbuds, but I haven't used those in years. I will say that the overall sound is very smooth and I feel like I'm pretty sensitive to high frequencies too and I can wear them all day at work (8 hours) without any ear fatigue at all. I listen to a lot of random stuff throughout the day. I just tried to find some harsh sounds with them on (including some of Zorn's noisiest) and couldn't.

They're also, by far, the most comfortable cans I have ever seen to wear. They're SUPER light and the pads cradle tightly around my ears. After my Audeze's (of course), these are my favorite.

I'm taking mine to a head-fi meet on the 20th. If you want to wait until then, some of the others there might be able to give you some unbiased impressions. :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #173 of 227
Quote:
Hmmmm. I'm not familiar with any of those, except maybe the apple earbuds, but I haven't used those in years. I will say that the overall sound is very smooth and I feel like I'm pretty sensitive to high frequencies too and I can wear them all day at work (8 hours) without any ear fatigue at all. I listen to a lot of random stuff throughout the day. I just tried to find some harsh sounds with them on (including some of Zorn's noisiest) and couldn't.

They're also, by far, the most comfortable cans I have ever seen to wear. They're SUPER light and the pads cradle tightly around my ears. After my Audeze's (of course), these are my favorite.

I'm taking mine to a head-fi meet on the 20th. If you want to wait until then, some of the others there might be able to give you some unbiased impressions. :)

OK, how are the modded 700's in comparison to say grado 60's or 80's?

Sorry for all of the questions--this pair is quite intriguing. :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #174 of 227
Haha ... it's cool but unfortunately I haven't tried those either. Basically, the only headphones Ive tried are the ones in my short list on my profile. I'm somewhat new at all of this and have mostly stuck to budget cans and whatever I can find used or refurbished.

Grados are one the top varieties I'be been looking forward to trying. I prefer open models too.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #175 of 227
Quote:

That would be awesome. I would like to get some reassurance that the modded pair do not have a grado level boost of the high frequencies. Look forward to those reviews! :)

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #176 of 227
Quote:
What do these sound like compared to the CAL! ?

I can answer that but only against felt removal + damping mod RX700, CAL has better clarity, more midbass presence, more sparkly treble, more sucked out and smaller soundstage. RX700 mod is smoother, easier to listen too, better soundstage and imaging (angled driver really help). Overall I like RX700 better and have sold my CAL long ago.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #179 of 227
Quote:
I've only tries the 700s but they seem to everything pretty well. Vocals are pretty clear and bass has a slight (not overwhelming) thump.

I think they're both closed. At least the 700s are. And so, don't leak at all, really.

You're saying ''pretty clear''. Does that mean they're not that good? Because I want really clear vocals. Also, how do the instruments sound? How is the instrument separation? And are you an audiophile?

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #180 of 227
How do one become an audiophile? :wink:

Well they don't have the technicalities of Stax 009 but they're pretty darn good at all those things. I especially like the soundstage on RX700.

And they're actually semi open, the area around the silver ring outside are holey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back