JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Nov 12, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #211 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed an order early last week at Buy.com for the $34.99 price, even though they were sold out, it shipped Friday and will be delivered tomorrow! I was kind of shocked.

I've tried to get a set of 700s back-ordered but that option doesn't appear for me on their website. I guess I'll try to make a phone order. Buy.com's shipping is pretty fast, even the free, slow shipping. I've bought two headphones from them, and both arrived in 4 days.

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #212 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I know I'm going to sound crazy, but I think JVC did something horribly right to my HA-RX700's. Like a reverse lemon or something. After only somewhere between 3 and 5 hours of listening, I can hear the most subtle details, such as the muffled voices of people talking behind the sound-proof window, the subtle reverberation of the bass drum, etc. These little details are quiet and do not distract me from the music at all, but it's so cool that I can hear them on $33 headphones! I've only read of such details being revealed in MUCH more expensive cans. The bass has also tightened up quite a bit, and is now lightning fast an accurate. The quickness and accuracy of the other frequencies has been greatly improved as well. This is getting me really excited. I can't wait until they're completely burned in.

This is exactly what is happening to my rx900's. They are improving all the time. I don't know if it is the cans improving or my ears getting more used to them. Either way it's all good
atsmile.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #213 of 1,224
I did notice that after just 12 hours break in, the 900's sound better, and I would say very, very good.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #214 of 1,224
I also find that changing the position of the headphones effects the sound signature and there's a lot of room to mess around with. So far I think I like having my ears touch the front part of the cup, I find it increases soundstage and has better instrument separation. Wondering if you guys found the positioning to effect the sound signature as well?

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #215 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also find that changing the position of the headphones effects the sound signature and there's a lot of room to mess around with. So far I think I like having my ears touch the front part of the cup, I find it increases soundstage and has better instrument separation. Wondering if you guys found the positioning to effect the sound signature as well?

Yeah, I've found the same. I think I might fool around with this when I do the final mods on mine, and stuff one side of the pads to get the drivers at a different angle to the plane of the ears.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #216 of 1,224
I just ordered a pair of ATH-ESW10JPN so my 1 1/2 weeks old RX-900 are going to the "for sell" forum tonight.....

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 12, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #218 of 1,224
I've spent a lot of time trying to decide what to upgrade to from my trusty old mdr-v600s. I mostly listen to classical music, with a touch of rock and electronic, and I also play my fair share of games (I'm mostly interested in enhancing my music listening experience, with gaming as a far second).

To address the topic, I'm trying to decide whether the x900s would be a significant upgrade and fit my needs. Soundstaging, instrument separation, and clear mids and highs would be a priority. I want to hear the full bass range without getting blown away by it (definitely not a bass-head).

I've had my eyes on the k701s which as best I can tell would be the ultimate classical listening experience. But my budget is limited, and I probably couldn't afford an amp immediately (and probably wouldn't want to spend more than 100-200$ on it).

I think I'm a fairly discerning listener having played the violin for over 15 years but I certainly have little experience as an audiophile which is why I'm asking for advice. So here's my main question: should I shell out upward of $400 for a k701+amp solution, settle for the x900 for $58, or is there some other solution <= $400 that I should be considering? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Ray

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #219 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondbeautrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent a lot of time trying to decide what to upgrade to from my trusty old mdr-v600s. I mostly listen to classical music, with a touch of rock and electronic, and I also play my fair share of games (I'm mostly interested in enhancing my music listening experience, with gaming as a far second).

To address the topic, I'm trying to decide whether the x900s would be a significant upgrade and fit my needs. Soundstaging, instrument separation, and clear mids and highs would be a priority. I want to hear the full bass range without getting blown away by it (definitely not a bass-head).

I've had my eyes on the k701s which as best I can tell would be the ultimate classical listening experience. But my budget is limited, and I probably couldn't afford an amp immediately (and probably wouldn't want to spend more than 100-200$ on it).

I think I'm a fairly discerning listener having played the violin for over 15 years but I certainly have little experience as an audiophile which is why I'm asking for advice. So here's my main question: should I shell out upward of $400 for a k701+amp solution, settle for the x900 for $58, or is there some other solution <= $400 that I should be considering? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Ray

Get the JVC HA-RX900, if you don't like them you can always sell them on EBay.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #220 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the JVC HA-RX900, if you don't like them you can always sell them on EBay.

And take 15 minutes to do some simple mods on them.

TRUST ME.
icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #221 of 1,224
What mods would you suggest?

Also, my friend is about to get the k701s so if i got the rx900s I could audition them side by side (unamped).

And, you're also telling me that these are hands-down better than the ad700s (for my needs) which are almost in the same price range?

I might be on the verge of an impulse buy...thats what this forum is notorious for causing, right?
icon10.gif

Thanks so much for the help, guys.

-Ray

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #222 of 1,224
Quote:

What mods would you suggest?

Try here, on the bottom of the third page. I'll post again, with pictures, when I get the Dynamat and do the final, permanent mods. For the record, the modding ideas have been taken from markl's D5000 mods, found here.

Quote:

And, you're also telling me that these are hands-down better than the ad700s (for my needs) which are almost in the same price range?

No. I've never heard the AD700s. I can only compare them to my current phones, Beyer DT-880 and Alessandro MS-1. But these phones, when modded, are mighty, mighty fine, and will compete strongly with these two for shared ear time.

Quote:

I might be on the verge of an impulse buy...thats what this forum is notorious for causing, right?
icon10.gif

Right!
icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #223 of 1,224
As I've learned from experience, yes the 701's are a good bass-light cans, but you'll definitely want to upgrade to a nice amp and source to take advantage of their abilities.
Go the cheaper route and save for a nice DAP, DAC, or whatever, and keep your eyes peeled for a cheap amp.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #224 of 1,224
I'm considering the JVC HAR-X700 and the Yuin OK3 (comparable to the Yuin PK2).

These will both be for home listening and a bit (tiny bit) of portable use.

I listen mostly to alternative rock, punk rock, and pop rock. But also occasionally some jazz, pop, or soundtrack music.

Which would be better for me? (I do like my treble. Bass isn't terribly important.)

Yuin OK3 ($49)
JVC HAR-X700 (~$40)

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #225 of 1,224
The JVC's are far from portable, and while the highs are bright and clean, they sit behind the slightly boomy bass at times.
I noticed while listening to Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue, the female vocals felt shoved to the side when things got busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back