JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Nov 8, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #181 of 1,224
Headphones need 100 hours, almost universally. I don't even bother to listen to headphones until after 100 hours burn in.

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #182 of 1,224
After about two days I've noticed my X700s have gotten much better since my initial impressions (posted earlier). After a week of overnight burn-in I'm gonna put my Grados back on then test out the X700s again.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #185 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Above says 100hours. Just keep it on during the night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the diff between RX-700 and RX-900?

I usually burn-in for 72hour but others said they heard improvement after as little as 8 hours. So I listened after 8. After 8 hours the headphones sounded no better, at least by my ears.

The main difference is the 900 1. has an “acoustic lens” an extra baffle with offset openings. 2.More
Venting. 3. A small dome in the back of the cup.

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #186 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually burn-in for 72hour but others said they heard improvement after as little as 8 hours. So I listened after 8. After 8 hours the headphones sounded no better, at least by my ears.

The main difference is the 900 1. has an “acoustic lens” an extra baffle with offset openings. 2.More
Venting. 3. A small dome in the back of the cup.

Are you saying that the headphones did not change at all from the starting point? If so, this conflicts with my experience. I thought my 900s were defective when I first heard them.

What change can be made by removing or adjusting the acoustic lens?

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #187 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that the headphones did not change at all from the starting point?

I’m coming to the end of my customary 72 hour burn-in period and I heard very little change in the phones.

If so, this conflicts with my experience. Quote:

I thought my 900s were defective when I first heard them.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Quote:

What change can be made by removing or adjusting the acoustic lens?

I haven't opened the 900s yet,I will wait another 24hour before I do.

Adjusting the offset could help balance things out. If there is a felt ring in front, it will be removed.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #188 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This coming weekend I will compare the RX900 against the Denon D1000 and report back.

musicman, really looking forward to your review!

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #189 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much burn-in time is needed? 24hour burn-in still sounds congested, highs sounds like they're coming from the back of the cup (muffled).

Wondering to what kind of music you listen to, if it's hard rock then I could see why as I feel it doesn't really have that sparkle or treble extension for electric guitar, other wise for most other genres it is fine.

You should try listening to this Lost of Words sample by Pink Floyd, I think the acoustic guitar sounds great on it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Division-B...d_sim_dmusic_6

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #190 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wondering to what kind of music you listen to, if it's hard rock then I could see why as I feel it doesn't really have that sparkle or treble extension for electric guitar, other wise for most other genres it is fine.

I listen to mostly jazz with some club and disco

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try listening to this Lost of Words sample by Pink Floyd, I think the acoustic guitar sounds great on it.

I've been listening to Phil Sheeran also with acoustic guitar. The "Breaking Through" album, track 2 also has great female vocals; the vocals are what I use to determine if speakers or headphones are any good.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #192 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen many comments on build quality/durability. If they are pretty rugged, I might get a set of 700s as a knock around headphone

They are pretty well made. My only doubt is the cable termination into the headphone. I only say this b/c I can hear it when I jiggle it a bit. I wear the 700s for portable when I go for walks when it is cold. They make good earmuffs lol.

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #194 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazylemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How hot do these cans get? Like, painfully or pleasantly warm?

Not sure what you mean by painfully. If you mean, does it feel like your ears are sitting too close to a heater, then no. It's more like a mellow warmth that steadily builds up. Definitely no pain involved. Just some sweat (except now that it's winter, I don't sweat at all!).

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #195 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazylemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How hot do these cans get? Like, painfully or pleasantly warm?

Pleasantly warm, but if your doing some hardcore gaming with these on, your blood pressure will cause it to get a little hot...but thats just imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back