JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,751 of 4,826
  Does any use EQ APO 1.1? How does it compare to others for system volume on PCs?
evil_smiley.gif

I used it exclusively in the past, and found it worked great. But once I discovered Equalify Pro for equalizing Spotify, I stopped using it. I still have it installed on my PC, I just currently have it disabled as it is a system wide EQ, which was why I chose it in the first place. Anything being played on your PC with be equalized when using APO, which was exactly what I needed for using Spotify. But it's also fun to use with YouTube.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,752 of 4,826
Any Mac users here? My HP amps are all in line and while I found an EQ system that works - Audio  Hijack lets me run system audio through virtually all my VSTs, Even  though I primarily stick with iZotope Ozone.

But just curious, if there are Mac users and what they use?

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #3,753 of 4,826
  I used it exclusively in the past, and found it worked great. But once I discovered Equalify Pro for equalizing Spotify, I stopped using it. I still have it installed on my PC, I just currently have it disabled as it is a system wide EQ, which was why I chose it in the first place. Anything being played on your PC with be equalized when using APO, which was exactly what I needed for using Spotify. But it's also fun to use with YouTube.

Yes i needed it specifically for Youtube.

Is there something even remotely close for portable devices that is not a music player software. Something that will do what APO does for android. I like the variable EQ to tinker with, because well... its more fun
biggrin.gif

I dont EQ on my tablet/phone, like i would via PC, but I WOULD if i had something similar :p

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #3,754 of 4,826
  Any Mac users here? My HP amps are all in line and while I found an EQ system that works - Audio  Hijack lets me run system audio through virtually all my VSTs, Even  though I primarily stick with iZotope Ozone.

But just curious, if there are Mac users and what they use?

Reaeq works fine on mac os x but the truth of the matter is the audio unit EQs built into mac os x are actually quite powerful and well designed. Not all EQs are built equally.... Apple's is damn good too.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3,757 of 4,826
Hmmm...I have an old laptop running WIN8, 32 bit, and I installed Foobar, and reaEQ, and it works perfectly, but it will not work on desktop with WIN10, 64 bit.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,759 of 4,826
  Reaeq works fine on mac os x but the truth of the matter is the audio unit EQs built into mac os x are actually quite powerful and well designed. Not all EQs are built equally.... Apple's is damn good too.

Hmm, couldn't find that for Mac, ReaPlugs? Got a link?  

Are you talking about AU Labs for mac?  I mean it's a VST/AU host which allows you to use mac's EQs which, as you said, are indeed pretty powerful.  I actually hate AU Labs because it requires some weird hoops using Soundflower to route system audio and as a host, it can crash.

BUT Audio HiJack, which i LOVE, allows for apple's audio units too.

Truth be told, half the time, I just use iTunes or Vox's EQ and it works pretty well.  Vox may actually trump itune's EQ.  

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #3,762 of 4,826
  Hmm, couldn't find that for Mac, ReaPlugs? Got a link?  

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

(You may need an emulator or virtual operating system, since it does not seem to support Mac.)

​Of Foobar or reaEQ?  I have tried both versions of reaEQ. I only find one version of Foobar to download.

Of ReaEQ.

You either need a vst wrapper for your player or a player that supports vst plugins...

I assumed he already did that, but if he tried both versions and they didn't work, maybe he did forget to take care of the VST compatibility with foobar2000 on that PC.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #3,763 of 4,826
  Here is a picture of my main EQ preset I use with my SZ2000's. I have many different presets, but I use this the most as it sounds best with my favorite genres of music (hip-hop/EDM). This preset also generates maximum impact, and pairs nicely with my iFi iDSD. What you don't see is that I have the preamp turned all the way down, to -12db.

I use Equalify Pro for EQ duties as I'm a dedicated Spotify premium user. I've really grown to love that program, it's super easy to use and very versatile. 

And boy are you correct when you say the SZ2K is extremely EQ friendly. Out of the box I wasn't all that impressed with their overall sound quality, but when heavily EQ's they transform into very respectable sounding cans. And obviously you really need to bring the heavy bass boost if you want to experience what these cans can really do in the bass department. 

Alright, here we go. I'll list them out for you starting with HZ, gain, then bandwidth.

Hey. Yesterday I used your EQ settings for a few hours. They're pretty good for general listening.

Here's what your settings look like in a really nice $200+ equalizer:

4433a4ea_EQ1.png

My own preferences for the SZ2000 involve much crazier bass and more forward mids. Basically an audiophile tuning aside from the bass.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #3,764 of 4,826

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

(You may need an emulator or virtual operating system, since it does not seem to support Mac.)

Of ReaEQ.

I assumed he already did that, but if he tried both versions and they didn't work, maybe he did forget to take care of the VST compatibility with foobar2000 on that PC.

yeeeaah  I'll probably just stick to audio hijack, ha, I really have no complaints with it but you know, most of the people on here are PC users I think and they're always post slick looking EQs and I just want that candy too. Weird though, it actually took. me a really long time to  figure out how to run my very juicy VSTs and AUs in real time. PC definitely isn't the wiener in that department

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #3,765 of 4,826

Hey. Yesterday I used your EQ settings for a few hours. They're pretty good for general listening.

Here's what your settings look like in a really nice $200+ equalizer:

4433a4ea_EQ1.png

My own preferences for the SZ2000 involve much crazier bass and more forward mids. Basically an audiophile tuning aside from the bass.

Awesome, glad you tried them out. That equalizer looks very nice!

I have multiple EQ presets for my SZ2K's, that just happens to be my most used. But even with those settings I can get the SZ's to maximum impact level while listening, but I do like to listen very loud at times which was why the bass wasn't tuned up higher. I also use hardware bass boost on my amplifier paired with the EQ settings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back