JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3,781 of 4,826
With the latest EQ settings I'm trying tonight, the SZ2000 literally tickles my ears.
L3000.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #3,783 of 4,826
I just wanted to say I love your avatar, nice hair, but if you plug 1.21 jigawatts into them cans, your hair is going to be on fire. lol :wink:

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #3,786 of 4,826
Jan 26, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3,788 of 4,826
Just got the HA-SZ1000. With no EQ, the bass is great, but the sound signature is muffled trash. With a simple EQ (0 - 63: 0;  80: - 3;  100 - 800: -5;  1k: -3;  1.25k - 20k: 0) in Equalizer APO (I like it because it is an OS-wide equalizer), it sounds OK. Comparing it directly to my current favorite, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X (which I don't EQ), there is still a muffled, mid-fi air to everything. And while the M50X is a pretty treble-heavy headphone, the SZ1000's muffled sound is not just a downward slope of the treble (like with the HD650), but something likely more quality-related.

The bass, though, is impressive. Not just quantity here, but quality. The bass definitely seems to be less undifferentiated than with the M50X; there are many different types of bass from the SZ1000. I will try boosting the bass at some point. Powering my headphones is the FiiO K5, which gives 1.5 W at 32 Ohm.

Ultimately, though, I don't think I'll use this headphone much. While I like my headphones to have good bass response (the K701 is useless to me, for example), and the SZ1000 almost undoubtedly has higher quality bass than the M50X, I absolutely hate muffled sound. For example, I have an first-gen LCD2, and to me it is throw-off-my-head-in-disgust garbage without EQ'ing to add in the missing treble.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #3,789 of 4,826
  Just got the HA-SZ1000. With no EQ, the bass is great, but the sound signature is muffled trash. With a simple EQ (0 - 63: 0;  80: - 3;  100 - 800: -5;  1k: -3;  1.25k - 20k: 0) in Equalizer APO (I like it because it is an OS-wide equalizer), it sounds OK. Comparing it directly to my current favorite, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X (which I don't EQ), there is still a muffled, mid-fi air to everything. And while the M50X is a pretty treble-heavy headphone, the SZ1000's muffled sound is not just a downward slope of the treble (like with the HD650), but something likely more quality-related.

The bass, though, is impressive. Not just quantity here, but quality. The bass definitely seems to be less undifferentiated than with the M50X; there are many different types of bass from the SZ1000. I will try boosting the bass at some point. Powering my headphones is the FiiO K5, which gives 1.5 W at 32 Ohm.

Ultimately, though, I don't think I'll use this headphone much. While I like my headphones to have good bass response (the K701 is useless to me, for example), and the SZ1000 almost undoubtedly has higher quality bass than the M50X, I absolutely hate muffled sound. For example, I have an first-gen LCD2, and to me it is throw-off-my-head-in-disgust garbage without EQ'ing to add in the missing treble.

Just EQ it to your liking. You can tweak all the frequencies to any amount you want, at which point it won't sound muffled. The SZ2000 responds to EQ better than most headphones, and I'm assuming the SZ1000 does too.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #3,790 of 4,826

Just EQ it to your liking. You can tweak all the frequencies to any amount you want, at which point it won't sound muffled. The SZ2000 responds to EQ better than most headphones, and I'm assuming the SZ1000 does too.

The SZ1000 EQ's very well.  It's my daily headphone at work.  It's a total different headphone with the earpads swapped out to something better. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,791 of 4,826
When i was itching to get a taste of CNT i picked up s500s and they were not so great out of the box, being easily beat by dtx350 which i had by my side. They really flowered after some time. I know thats a cliche on here, and in this particular case, i noticed it as well in similar fashion with sz1k

I do like the flavour it provides for certain live performances where drums are included in studio setting, its really provides a bubbling bass atmosphere. And after some time and pad swap, the vocals were not bad at all.

I EQ'ed them initially, but i can listen to them without EQ on a tablet and they work for certain genres, though not all.

Thats just the nature of bass heavy cans. But this one does a lot more than other ones IMO. Maybe its my brain adjusting, but you get so much for so little out of these.

BIG FAT THUMBS UP TO CNT! as long as it doesn't flake off and go deep into my ear canal and make me ill....

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #3,792 of 4,826
Honestly, it had been quite some time that I had listened to them, I was going off of some vague memories. 
rolleyes.gif

I have listened to them again last night and plenty today, went mobile with them (iPhone -> Sound Blaster E3 via Bluetooth), and I am listening to them now at work on a Yulong U100 desktop DAC/amp, so if by "have I amped them," have I tested extreme bass response by amping them up with significant power and maybe a bass boost and EQ to make them shake -- no, I got them mostly because they were recommended by someone in this thread as having good bass thump unamped / portable.

The bass is certainly not tight and fast like planar bass, and they don't strike my ears as audiophile cans, but as quite good sounding "fun" headphones with heft in the bass (but not really offensive, muddy like the Sol Republic Master Tracks I listened to the other day at Fry's which assaulted my ears with a very dark, overly bassy, non-detailed mess of a sound signature).

I just listened to Metallica's Atlas, Rise! (from their recent release) and it sounded righteous.  I do like the mids and the treble.  

The thing that keeps me from using these more are the comfort.  They are shaped strangely, and hurt my head and ears..  literally they are making them ache a bit right now since I've been using them for about 3 - 4 hours today, though probably not more than an hour at a time.  I've had to give my noggin' and ears a spell periodically today but putting on my super-comfortable Griffin Woodtones - not as good / detailed or even as nice bass as the Esny's, but really, really light and comfy and sound is acceptable.

The Esny's are heavy and just shaped weird, I dunno.

Quote:
so seriously what you think of these headphones ? Have you amped them? Audiophiles rip the bass on these as bloaty, but say the mids and treble are dope. Was wondering what you thought of em. I can pick up a new pair at $57 and am extremely tempted.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #3,793 of 4,826

1000 has more or less 10dB less of EQ-ability, in terms of boosting not cutting. (that's still like 28dB in either direciton for the 1k)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back